New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gibbs Farquharson
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Those interested in Gibbs Farquharsons should check out the photos I posted in the "Small Calibers" forum under the discussion topic of "6.5x53R/.256 Mannlicher anyone interested?
Thanks

Posts: 465 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a look at it on the Small Calibers forum. Glad you you let us know under single shots. Beautiful. My Gibbs is in 6.5x57R.

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bghntr416:
Had a look at it on the Small Calibers forum. Glad you you let us know under single shots. Beautiful. My Gibbs is in 6.5x57R.

Please, tell us more!
I have a very late Gibbs farquharson in 6.5 Dutch but has a bit of a pit in the chamber and I'm thinking a rechamber to 6.5X57 would be the best way to clean it up.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is pretty early. Patent use 323. Best quality action. I have no idea who did the work but a new tapered round barrel was fitted along with a claw mounted Schmidt and Bender in fixed 6X. The original butt stock was retained but a new forend was fitted. I shoot 120 grain barnes TSX bullets. Brass is RWS, took a little while to get it but got it out of Huntingtons in CA (great source for odd ball stuff in the past). I put 45 grains of H4350 in front of a Win LR primer. Mild load that has been great on pigs, deer and a coyote.

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a nice rifle.
Please post pictures if you can.
One Gibbs I own is action #350 which was rebarreled by Gibbs to 303. It was originally a match rifle so the comb and heel are pretty high but works fine for me.
I would expect that your rifle is similar.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Huvius,

Pictures are posted in the Small Caliber forum under the discussion topic of "6.5x53R/.256 Mannlicher anyone interested?" Thanks for asking.

Posts: 465 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I see.
Your rifle is a best grade sporter action - super nice too!
These days, sporters are often made from Gibbs actions that were originally match rifles.
Even the pair of Gibbs Farqs that were made a few years ago, by Luxus I think it was, were built on match actions.
Still make a great rifle but they are different in some ways.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put a price on it!

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote