THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Ruger #1 in 9.3x62 now available

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 in 9.3x62 now available
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My local gun dealer just called me to say that the Ruger #1 in 9.3x62 that I asked him to order is now in stock at his distributor (I think it is Davidson's), so I should have one in a few days. Apparently they are only making them this year, so I wanted to get one as soon as possible.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dale, that's a nice choice. Post up some photos when she's made it to your custody.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was able to pick up my rifle from the dealer, but have not fired it yet. My first impressions are: 1) very plain walnut, 2) mediocre wood-to-metal fit, and 3) feels great as far as balance. I have a number of No. 1s, and the wood quality appears to have generally decreased over the years. The barrel is only 22", so it feels a lot like my 1A in 7x57, but is a little heavier. My 1A is my favorite deer rifle so I think I will enjoy this one also.

Bill - I have not learned how to post pictures yet, and this rifle looks like all the other No. 1s.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention the rifle has a great trigger for one right out of the box. It is right about 3 pounds. It has a very slight amount of creep, but overall very good.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dale: My first impressions are: 1) very plain walnut, 2) mediocre wood-to-metal fit....wood quality appears to have generally decreased over the years

True. Not just the figure but the checkering too. Nicest are those made late 60s-70s. Warning stamps on barrels also off-putting, since late 70s.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to agree with the decline in quality of wood and checkering.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In addition to the decline of wood quality, I was shocked yesterday to find that No.1s have gone up in price a lot. I am probably just getting old, but it seems just a FEW years ago that I was buying my 450/400s for $700.

I went to my LGS to order one of these 9.3x62s in a No.1, and my dealer said they were running about $1200. I bought my 450/400s from this same man.

I canceled the order and walked out of the store a little depressed. Oh well, life just gets more expensive every year I guess. If I want it badly enough, I'll probably go back and order one anyway, but I kinda' like rimmed cartridges these days in single shots. Decisions, decisions,...

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I think it's great that Ruger offers/has offered such a broad spectrum of cartridges in their NO.1's, in a way, the 9.3x62 seems like an odd choice. The rimmed 9.3x74R seems more like the "classic" fit for a number one. However, with the somewhat broad selection of factory rounds now available for the 9.3x62 (though not at your local Wall-Mart), the 9.3x62 makes even more sense. Who'd-a-thunk-it!
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
9.3x74R is a much better choice for a #1; (for no good reasons, mind you); leave the 62s to the bolt actions. Not that it won't work.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I considered a 9.3, but then CDNN came up with a few left over No 1As in .303 and I got one of those. This thing shoots into under an inch at 100 with a 7X scope. I too think that the 9.3X74R is a better cartridge in this bore size for the No 1, except that the 9.3X74R is a No 1 S and it is considerably heavier that a No 1A.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ever wonder why Ruger does not make them with a 26" barrel?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

It's the same reason, they hardly ever offer any 1-S in 26" with open sights- THEY ARE STUPID

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because they sell as many as they can make with a 22" barrel.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duckear,

if that were true, they would not be cutting production so deeply.

I'm going with the "STUPID" option.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because they use the cut off ends for their pistols?

Smiler

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Because they use the cut off ends for their pistols?

Ha Ha Ha Ha, very funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 1-S was a 26" gun in the beginning, but public opinion was screaming for short tubes!!

My favorite two No. 1-S rifles were my orginal 30-06 and later a .338 Win. They balanced so well for off hand and running shots, but after I, in the heat of battle, sliced a .338 case in half, I went back to the bolt rifles for DG.. pissers

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The #1 market is for a bit more traditionalist hunter/shooter than, say, the 77. I would have thought that the four inch shorter oal could have better served by a longer barrel.

Trimming them to suit is very easy, compared to trying to stretch one.

This dates me considerably, but I bought my first #1, a 6mm Remington 1V back in fall of 1978 for the princely sum of $240 plus sales tax.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a few No 1's over the years but I have only one now, a .204 Ruger that has a gorgeous stock. In my opinion, No 1 stocks started to go downhill when Ruger came out with the Red Label shotguns; seems to me the good wood was diverted to that. My Red Label has a great looking stock.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just posted a note on the Hicks Accurizer thread about putting one on my 9.3x62. It worked really well. I only had time for three 5-shot groups, but they went 0.88, 1.06, and 0.88 inches at 100 yards.