New
Find
Notify
Tools

310 Cadet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked this up the other day, came from a large military collection that is being broken up. Has a perfect bore no dark spots. Does have a crack in the stock at the toe but looks repairable.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1497 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice little rifle

I had not known that the .310 had gained military acceptance.

Posts: 455 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was purchased as a cadet training rifle by Australia. I have owned dozens of them. The 310 cartridge is ballistically similar to the 32-20. Many were imported into the US and rechambered to 32-20. It will fire but is usually inaccurate. I had one rechambered to 32 Winchester Special. That one was accurate enough for deer. It was quite lively in the cadet. It’s a very strong action. I have one with a bad bore I’m thinking of converting to 25-35.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2133 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Greener takedown Martini Cadet in .310
It it probably more accurate than I can shoot iron sights nowadays.

Posts: 455 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
It was purchased as a cadet training rifle by Australia. I have owned dozens of them. The 310 cartridge is ballistically similar to the 32-20. Many were imported into the US and rechambered to 32-20. It will fire but is usually inaccurate. I had one rechambered to 32 Winchester Special. That one was accurate enough for deer. It was quite lively in the cadet. It’s a very strong action. I have one with a bad bore I’m thinking of converting to 25-35.

I have one which was converted before I got it in 32 Winchester Special.
With factory ammo it will not hit the inside of a barn.

I cant recall right now but I think the 310 Cadet twist rate is WAY to slow for the 165 plus grain bullets in the factory 32 WS loads....

So I have to ask what ammo are you shooting in your cadet chambered in 32 WS...

TIA
Bob in FL

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
If your rifle is still a 310 chamber, brass can be a bit tricky.
My son's Cadet has been rechambered to 32-20.
We us the correct 120gr heeled bullet for the 310 and it shoots beautifully.
Not sure if all 32-20 chambers have enough lead to accommodate that bullet but his does.

Posts: 3231 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RJM, I think my 32 Special was relined. I didn’t think so at the time I owned it, but the fellow who bought it found a joint line at the breech. That’s why it shot well, probably.

Posts: 2133 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VOL717,
OK, thanks....
It would have been good to know the twist.
If for nothing more then to be able to trouble shoot the problem with accuracy in my Martini...

That being said I am going to reload mine with a shorter bullet (90-120 grain) at slower speeds to see if that improves accuracy.

FWITW, the factory 32 Win Special, 165 grain load is a lot of HP for that little rifle

quote:
RJM, I think my 32 Special was relined. I didn’t think so at the time I owned it, but the fellow who bought it found a joint line at the breech. That’s why it shot well, probably.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RJM.@Jax.FL:
quote:

I have one which was converted before I got it in 32 Winchester Special.
With factory ammo it will not hit the inside of a barn.

I cant recall right now but I think the 310 Cadet twist rate is WAY to slow for the 165 plus grain bullets in the factory 32 WS loads....

So I have to ask what ammo are you shooting in your cadet chambered in 32 WS...

TIA
Bob in FL

I picked up one prior to this one chambered for 30-30 but did not have the interest in persuing that calibre. So I barreled it to 7-30 Waters and downloaded the charge to make it much more comfortable to shoot and make extraction easier.
It shoots one hole groups very very accurate.

Now the gun I showed photos of at the start of this thread is now found to have been rebored and chambered to38/357. I am in the process of getting a new extractor made for the .310 as I now have a correct barrel

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1497 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This was a 22 LR action that I bought from Appleton's a few yrs ago and started to build this one into a 20 cal. based on the 223 case, but shorten about .100. I still need to shoot this one to see what it will group. Last fired about 8 yrs ago with a lighter case load to see how it extracts the case. I drop down on powder and it should be about 3600 fps and group just under one inch.

I have made several of these Martini conversions since 1961 in these calibers. 218 Ack Bee, 5.6 R X 50, 17 Rem., my last one 20 Special similar to the 20 Tech.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just had one relined in 25-35.

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I have one in 25/35 also

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one rebarreled to 17 Hornet, PacNor barrel, restocked in fiddleback walnut, that shoots damn near one-hole groups. Beautiful, and deadly on Sage rats. I*'d post a phote if I was smart enough. hell, I don't even have a smart phone.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I horsetraded into a 218 Bee on a Cadet action in 1966. I have had a lot of fun with it in the last 55 years along with my Hi-School buddys. I still have it and some day I plan to put a nice piece of English Walnut on it and make it respectable!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im slobbering over the 25-35s, one of my all time calibers from kidhood, and killed my first few elk and deer with that caliber ina 94 carbine, so I go back a long way with the caliber..as did about every ranch kid in the Big bend country of Texas..

Im going to have ss in that caliber one of these days, still have the winchesters in that caliber Maybe a Win. low wall or high wall..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41741 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote