New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel K1/K3 or Blaser K95
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I like the idea of a nice rifle I can break down for travel. Can someone explain to me why a person would pick a Merkel K1/K3 instead of a Blaser K95, please?

For my purposes, my caliber of choice will be likely a 7mm-08, a 6.5x55, or a 6.5 Creedmoor. I doubt I'll hunt anything but North American deer.

I'm no longer hand loading, so I'll be using factory loads, virtually always 120 - 140 grain bullets.

I presume each has a tang safety and a cartridge extractor, not an ejector. I like open sights, but don't expect to actually use them on purpose any longer.

Thanks for the input.

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jay, I think the primary reason to pick a K3 would be price...they're somewhat less than a K-95. Personally, I'd save up until I could get a K-95. Take a look a couple threads down where Beretta682E tests out his K-95. They are incredible shooters.

If take-down is your primary goal, a regular Blaser R8 breaks down as well, and both the rifle and barrels are cheaper than for the K-95.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biggest benefit of a k1/k3 is kreighoff actually builds and wants to sell single shots.

K-95 for blaser are more of a entertainment project than a business focus. The business focus is r8 and f3/f16.

If you are right handed there will be k95 guns to acquire. Left handed tougher.

The k95 is a true rifleman’s gun - they are crazy accurate. But they require skill and practice to get to 75 percent of what the rifle can do - shoot .5 or lower groups.

K1/l3 are great guns - if I was not so invested in the blaser platform I would get it. The k1/k3 have great take down case.

Also some nice packages on k1/k3.

K95 you can add additional barrels - it is a platform rifle.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Biebs.

Mike, I did read some of your threads, so thanks, retrospectively.

Does that mean the K1/K3 do not have the ability to add different barrels?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywalker:
Thanks, Biebs.

Mike, I did read some of your threads, so thanks, retrospectively.

Does that mean the K1/K3 do not have the ability to add different barrels?

K1/k3 is not a platform gun. The receiver is set for its specific barrel.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mike, I didn't know that. That's a difference that might be important.

Do they both have tang safeties?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks, Mike, I didn't know that. That's a difference that might be important.

Do they both have tang safeties?

Yes - both have tag cocking mechanisms.

The k-95 advantage is one can have a 6.5 creedmoor for deer hunting and target shooting and a 30/06 for Plains game hunting, elk, ect.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Biggest benefit of a k1/k3 is kreighoff actually builds and wants to sell single shots.

They're Merkels :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there any difference between the two in inherent accuracy or difficulty to shoot well? (I'm thinking about recoil effects and trigger differences, etc.)

Is there any difference between the two in Length of Pull? My Berettas have all been much too long and required stock adjustments.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
this opinion is worth what you paid for it. I have a K95 with the octagon barrel and the stock I guess we would call a "classic stalker style" without a cheek piece. it shoots well and I really like it. the price of another octagon barrel now is more than I paid for the whole gun several years ago, so the changing of the barrels has become a moot point. I handled a merkel but never shot one but it was nice. you are doing your due diligence but in the end you have to determine your priorities and what you value.

Posts: 977 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

They're Merkels :-)

homer

But then if is not a blaser everything else is just the same Wink

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by max(hm2):
this opinion is worth what you paid for it. I have a K95 with the octagon barrel and the stock I guess we would call a "classic stalker style" without a cheek piece. it shoots well and I really like it. the price of another octagon barrel now is more than I paid for the whole gun several years ago, so the changing of the barrels has become a moot point. I handled a merkel but never shot one but it was nice. you are doing your due diligence but in the end you have to determine your priorities and what you value.

You will be able to shoot a regular barrel if you have the Forend channeled for an octagonal barrel. But Not the other way around.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
1. What's the length of pull on the K1/K3 and the K95?

2. Is a cartridge ejector available on either?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. What's the length of pull on the K1/K3 and the K95?

2. Is a cartridge ejector available on either?

My k95 LOP is 14.75 inches.

No electors on k95 and really not needed.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a K3 in 7x57R and its a dandy little light weight. Its an MOA gun with several commercial loads. Wish I could have gotten the single set trigger but the German makers don't seem to want to offer it in the US (Sauer never offered it either). Keep an eye out and you can pick up the K3 very reasonably..probably 1-2K less than the Blaser.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mike. Wow, that's a long stock, longer even that my Beretta's 14-1/4". That might be a significant issue for me - cutting the stock on a $5k rifle. Did you do it or live with a new style?

JonP, thanks. I hadn't thought yet about set triggers. I supposed I could get used to double-set.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks, Mike. Wow, that's a long stock, longer even that my Beretta's 14-1/4". That might be a significant issue for me - cutting the stock on a $5k rifle. Did you do it or live with a new style?

JonP, thanks. I hadn't thought yet about set triggers. I supposed I could get used to double-set.

Merkel is 14.25 - I checked with a buddy who owns one.

Blaser fits me perfectly.

I am at the range shooting more 6.5 ammo that I don’t need to. I have a lot of 308 to burn.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Have currently two K95's with barrels in the following and they all shoot great!

5.6x50R
6.5x57R
270 WBY
7RM
308Win
300RM

Mac

Posts: 1720 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac, what's 300RM...an Ultramag?

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Sorry! Typo, 300WM. You sold it to me! Haha

Mac

Posts: 1720 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, folks. I appreciate the tutorial. That's enough to get me started.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry! Typo, 300WM. You sold it to me! Haha

Mac

Yes, I remember that one :-)

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Jay---
All 3 are great.
The Blaser K95 has a much nicer and more resilient finish than my K1. Haven't had the chance to expose my K3 to moisture yet.

Keep the chamber and throat clean and lightly oiled. Tolerances can be quite close especially on the Blaser throat.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Jay---
All 3 are great.
The Blaser K95 has a much nicer and more resilient finish than my K1. Haven't had the chance to expose my K3 to moisture yet.

Keep the chamber and throat clean and lightly oiled. Tolerances can be quite close especially on the Blaser throat.

Yup - blaser k95 does not like some 6.5 creedmoor handloads. No issue with same reloads in r8.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I had one grip the bullet in cold snowy weather because I didn't get all of the blow-by (carbon) out of the throat (corrected). These must have match grade chambers.
A double patch cleaned it right up, voila, back in the woods. Ever since then I keep a cleaning rod in the gun case no matter which gun I'm using.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Personally, I went Merkel K1 7mmRM for me, a K3 Stutzen in 7x57r for my wife.

The truth is actually really simple: Blaser or Merkel - they are both incredible fine rifles capable of very good accuracy. I've fired quite a few 1/2-3/4" groups in both rifles. When all is said and done, it's up to the shooter to try and make the most out of the inherent accuracy of any of these rifles.

Be ready for some snappy recoil though. Damned if my K1 isn't nasty with a full 7mm RM load. Absolutely spectacular to carry all day though!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2309 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
All 3 have excellent factory triggers. 2 pound pull is about perfect.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks - that's a useful tip about the tightness of the chamber. I should have suspected that, given the accuracy reports, but I didn't.

Another thing I hadn't considered until now - what provisions to the models have for "gas handling," e.g., ruptured case, case head separation, or even a pierced primer?

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
No knowledge of a pierced primer here.
Pushing cases until they fail is not recommended for any firearm, modern or not.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I no longer reload, but I did have a fantastically accurate Ruger M77 MkII 6.5x55 that pierced a primer and had to go back to Ruger for headspace issues, after having a gunsmith disassemble the bolt and remove molten copper for the internals.

Things happen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks - that's a useful tip about the tightness of the chamber. I should have suspected that, given the accuracy reports, but I didn't.

Another thing I hadn't considered until now - what provisions to the models have for "gas handling," e.g., ruptured case, case head separation, or even a pierced primer?

My k95 simply does not lock/close if it does not like the ammo. Have never had that happen with factory ammo but it does occur with handloads.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, you'll find the same thing with Blaser bolt rifles. The chambers are built to a very tight tolerance. Handloads need to be made with great care or they won't chamber.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Same here. Had similar issues with both the 7X57 Mauser K95 & the 7X57R Merkel handloads. Only about half of my neck-sized reloads would chamber. Sizing the neck deeper helped. But, still had issues. Full length-sized brass had the fewest issues. All factory ones had no issues.
Also worth mentioning is that the lever must be depressed fully to make certain the pin block is in proper alignment or it won't close.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned both. I still own a K95 even though I paid twice the price for it. The biggest reason is barrel interchangeability. You can fit barrels yourself with a torx bit. The second reason for me is that I got a K95 without a cheekpiece. I'm left handed. The K3s all come with RH cheekpieces.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a K1 in 7Rem Mag, picked it up on sale at the time, at a price I knew I wouldn't see it at again. Great to carry, shoots fine. Didn't really want the 7mag, but, it can be loaded down a bit with 140gr to make it nicer to shoot in that light of a gun. I looked hard this winter at getting another one, or a K95, couldn't find anything in a cartridge I wanted, under 5000.00 Cdn landed up here, so, settled for a #1. The Merkel is a keeper for me though. The engraving is a bit hokey for my tastes, but, it is what it is for the price. The only other one out there was a Haenel, and I wasn't impressed with the general look of it, too plain and still 4000.00+.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I was going to go down the Kipplauf route I would look at the longer barreled Merkels or Haenels. They feel more handmade and hand fitted, whereas the Blaser's are product of CNC Milling, and I am sorry Torx are fine on a car, an aeroplane or a high tech piece of kit. But NOT on a fine rifle.

Actually I would probably spend my money on a http://www.prinz-waffen.de/waf...kipplaufbuechse-no1/ - I looked at these earlier in the year. Developed by the chap who developed the K95, but has now set up his own business, without slide rule of accountants measuring everything.

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 209jones:
I have a K1 in 7Rem Mag, picked it up on sale at the time, at a price I knew I wouldn't see it at again. Great to carry, shoots fine. Didn't really want the 7mag, but, it can be loaded down a bit with 140gr to make it nicer to shoot in that light of a gun. I looked hard this winter at getting another one, or a K95, couldn't find anything in a cartridge I wanted, under 5000.00 Cdn landed up here, so, settled for a #1. The Merkel is a keeper for me though. The engraving is a bit hokey for my tastes, but, it is what it is for the price.
My thoughts, also - I prefer a clean, blued expanse of metal and consider engraving a lesser evil. Still, I always wondered if the engraving tended to mask scars and bumps that happen to nice steel...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
If I was going to go down the Kipplauf route I would look at the longer barreled Merkels or Haenels. They feel more handmade and hand fitted, whereas the Blaser's are product of CNC Milling, and I am sorry Torx are fine on a car, an aeroplane or a high tech piece of kit. But NOT on a fine rifle.

Actually I would probably spend my money on a http://www.prinz-waffen.de/waf...kipplaufbuechse-no1/ - I looked at these earlier in the year. Developed by the chap who developed the K95, but has now set up his own business, without slide rule of accountants measuring everything.
That Prinz looks interesting. Any idea of the US price?

ETA: 1000 posts and I'm asking about something expensive I don't need. Wasn't the first time and won't be the last...

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I have a K3 in 30-06 and the wife has a K1 in 7x57R. They are both sub MOA riles with almost any ammunition we have used. They break down great for carry in a hard case in a drop bottom duffle bag. I prefer the scope mount system of the K1 much more than the K3 mounts but they both return to zero. Never had the scopes off zero from mount/dismount. The recoil of the 30-06 is mild and the 7x57R is even less.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:

That Prinz looks interesting. Any idea of the US price?

Prinz's single shots start at 8.000 USD and I am sure they are able to withstand any high-pressure cartridge. As the breech lock is significantly heavier, I would recommend to pair it with more powerful cartridge than 7x57R.

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote