THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Ruger No. 1, Stainless, 45-70, Driving Me Nutzo

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger No. 1, Stainless, 45-70, Driving Me Nutzo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Somewhere in the middle of October, maybe earlier, I decided I wanted a Ruger No. 1, stainless in 45-70.

I looked at the Marlin 1895. Nice gun, but they are limited as to what bullets they'll feed. Besides which, the No. 1 is a classic, single shot rifle, upper end aesthetics and all that sort of stuff.

Limited gun shops locally. I looked at "the rack" at Sky's. Drove 50 miles into Longview to "Bobs." Bobs didn't have one in stock, but would "order it" for me.

Wal-Mart in Longview will "order it" for me.

Pawn shops and gun shops in Longview didn't have one. 45-70 is a fairly common caliber here, used for Roosevelt Elk in the woods.

(This is a "hunting story.")

Hanging around Sky's. It's a small shop, gunsmith locally in Astoria, down in the basement of a small sports equipment store on the "main drag" -- such as it is.

"Jeez . . . What I'm looking for these days is a Ruger No. 1, 45-70. Stainless would be nice."

Sky goes into the bowels of his shop. There are guns, and "stuff" stacked everywhere in this place. It's cluttered, like some old garage where some old fart, long "passed away" stashed all sorts of long-forgotten gems.

Sky hands me a stainless, Ruger No. 1, 45-70. "It needs to be sent in to Ruger, to get the lever latch replaced."

The gun is "new" -- 99% or better. "Sold! -- How much do you think you want for it?"

"Hmmmmmmmmmmm . . . let me look it up."

(Told you this was a "hunting story.")

"Let me look it up" is Sky's way of saying, "Come back in a few days and I'll have a price for you."

"OK," I says, "But I want it. Put a 'tag' on it."

Couple days later, I'm back. Sky's is the sort of place where you "hang out." Hang out, tell stories, rummage though the crap on the "crap tables" (brass, dies, holsters, catalogs, furniture for a "build.")

"$550." --

"OK! When can we get it sent off to Ruger for repair?"

Sky jots some notes on a bill of sale, hangs a tag on the gun, stacks it in the "to do" rack.

"You want some money, Sky?"

"Ohhhhhh, you can pay me now, or pay me later."

Not a lot of places these days where your word is as good as cash . . .

Sky also has 45-70 dies out on the "crap table" -- RCBS, like new, $20.

(This is a hunting story, put another log on the campfire.)

I drive into Longview, because there are no scopes sold in Astoria, OR. Not anything serious anyway.

Days and days online here have convinced me I want a Leupold VXIII, 1.5 - 6x 32mm, heavy reticle.

Bob's has one in stock. Longview, WA -- 50 miles. I also pick up some Butler Creek "flip up" caps for the scope, bullets, brass, powder. I have primers.

Heading back to the "main drag" there's a pawn shop. They have a nice long rack of rifles, a case full of handguns. Oregon resident in Washington, I can buy a long gun, but handguns require a transfer "across the river" (Columbia).

There's a shop on the way back to Astoria that handles these handgun transfers.

The pawn shop has a sign in the window -- "ALL GUNS 20% OFF" Besides which, there's a couple babes that work there.

"Bubba'd" Springfields, old Mausers, lotsa Marlin and Win. lever actions. In the middle of it all is a Weatherby Vanguard, Leupold VXII, 3 - 9x 40mm, 95% at least. $350.

-- I gotta get with my doctor about my medications! *LMAO*

We bought that one -- Somehow, despite a CCW and etc. etc. the FBI background check got hung up. Soooooooo . . . that gun purchase is on hold too, along with the Ruger.

I stop off at Shorty's in Clatskanie -- the shop that manages the handgun transfers out of state. Shorty will act as the FFL should you want to buy "online" some gun needing a transfer. He charges $25. I've been known to leave a $25 tip on the table after dinner.

Sporty has a Marlin 1895 LS, stainless, 45-70. That gun has been barking at me now for more than a month. I picked up a box of bullets that Bob's didn't have in stock.

A week later I get the Weatherby from the pawn shop. It's wonderful! I have a 1943 Springfield Garand, wanted a bolt action in 30-06. I have a case of surplus ammo and some "odd lots" of production ammo for this caliber.

Out behind the barn, the Weatherby shoots tight!

Finally, finally . . . Ruger gets a "mailer" to Sky. The Ruger is "in the mail" on its way to being repaired.

Now I'm starting to develop a nervous tic.

*LMAO*

Sky has a Contender, 45-70 and 44 mag. Never fired evidently. He also has a Sharps in 54 cal. paper cartridge. A nice Stevens side by side in 12 gauge, and an upper end Chas. Daley. There's a Smith & Wesson, Mod. 64 snub, stainless, 38 Spl.

The Ruger is somewhere in the "fix it" line -- at Ruger. Damn it, damn it. I'm going nutzo here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's funny (or sad).
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, I put a Leupold shotgun scope on my 1885 with heavy reticle.It was thicker than the book said and it covered 3" at 100 yds .This with a gun that could easily get 1" or better ! I had them put on a fine duplex, much better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
45/70 Govt.
You got "the Disease" BAD.

Thankfully there is NO cure. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"I'm going nutzo here."

You have 584 posts since October.
I would say you have already arrived.
I bet before you get the Ruger back you will find another one or two or 3 that you can't live without.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, there's a Ruger GP 100, 6" bbl. .357 mag, stainless in the case at Sky's. Also, a Smith Mod. 64, snub. That Marlin at Sporty's keeps barkin' --

I sold my .223 Ackley, Rem. 700 PSS -- but keep thinking a "varmint" gun would be cool, like 22-250 or Swift . . .

I should get a second safe -- *LMAO* She'd never put up with me if I were married.

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
The Contender in 45/70.......that's just mean.

When I had mine I could fire about 5 rounds and then had to wait a month for the hands to heal.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope you get your rifle back quicker than I got mine. It took Ruger seven months to fix mine and get it back to me. pissers thumbdown
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good luck on a speedy and safe return of your new No.1. Ruger has treated me very well but I have not had to send any guns in. I have the blued version that I picked up from a local gun shop for $495.00 in the box. I killed with it for the first time last friday. It will definately put the smackdown on whitetail. I mainly bought the rifle for a good brush gun and it proved it's self as a great brush gun that day.

Have a great day

Elwood

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You aint the only sicko in Oregon bud.
I,m down here in the peoples Repulic of portland.
i would like to see skys, sounds like a place I would like. If you are ever comming into portland, take HWY 26 for a change and go to forest grove. Stop at H&K gunsmithing, you will be quite impressed by some of the customs hanging there ! Kurt is the smith. check out his resumes, there are several hanging in the rack with price tags on them.
You will get that familiar itch, i guarentee it ! ...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Another Oregon sicko here. Three dangerous places down here: Russco in Grants Pass; Good Guys in Medford; Far West in Jacksonville.
Is the Powder Horn still open in Hillsboro? Last time I was in there the guy had my dream rifle on the wall: a very fine Ballard No. 5 Pacific in .40-85, with an original cartridge belt full of "everlasting" cases. I'm still in shock ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep
the powder horn is still there. He usually has some nice stuff too. Go 3 to 6 blocks west of the horn right there on pacific ave, and you will find H&K. Stop in there, i would love to hear what another self cofessed rifle loon thinks of his work ...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I wish they made it in stainless and walnut. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Dr lou has a point.
I think a SS #1 action with a matt blue barrel and a really nice piece otf walnut would really be cool.. especially if you had it checkerd by an Expert in a pattern of your choice...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I just received my second #1 in 45-70 from Elmer. Hopefully I learned my lesson when I sold my first #1 in 45-70. I'll be keepin' this one. I have two of the four #1s that I want: special run 35 Whelen and the 45-70. The only two that I still need/want is 1A in 7x57 and the 9.3x74. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A special run #1 in 35 whelen ?
How cool ! I hope it has the cool style forend and the back up sights. Love to have one of those.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Special run #1s.
I here talk of them once in awhile. Who does them, are they like davidsons or someone like that ?
I would love to here what coles out in the future ...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeez! Finally!

The No. 1 is back from Ruger. Sky mounted my Leupold VXIII, 1.5 -- 6x 32mm Leupold "low rings" -- "just a hair clearance on the front of the rail" -- We had to remove the rear fixed sight.

Loads I'd put together in the intermim wait are a bit long OAL. I re-seat about 0.020" which gets the ogive off the lands, and gets the action to close without binding.

Terrorized the bejeezus out of a couple gallon milk jugs filled with water, out behind the barn this morning.

HUGE divots in the grass -- 350 gr. Speer flat point, 58 gr. Hodgdon 4895. I need to dial in the scope.

It's a keeper.

It's spelled "Farquharson falling block"--