THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Uberti 1885 Courteney Stalking Rifle

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uberti 1885 Courteney Stalking Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Caliber .303 Brit. Just discovered this neat looking little rifle in photographs only. The type of rib rear sight is kinda throwing me off, but sure my opinion would change if I decided to scope it.

Anybody have any experience with one of these?
Thank you.

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, nice looking rifle and would be a fun piece in 303 British. The rib is removable, so no issue there.

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs, Uberti should use your picture in the advertisements. Looks so much better than the stock photos...

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
....it's still got the ballsack....

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the stock photos are pretty bland. I found this one on Google....not my rifle.

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
If they decide to build one of these in 9.3x74r I'll be the first one to order!

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reverend Recoil
posted Hide Post
I already have a Ruger No.1 in 9.3x74R. I would buy this rifle if it were in 7.62x54R.

DR #2276, P-100 2021

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get rid of the nutsack and bore it out to 375x2.5.
Same base and rim as the 303.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Prince of Wales is the classic British pistol grip.

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post

....chalk and cheese....

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
....chalk and cheese....

yep

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I've been looking for one of these and can't find one in stock anywhere.

Does anyone have a source?

I really like the .303 British and load for it. I don't need this rifle but as is often the case, need and want are two different things . . .

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1544 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a small steel grip cap were installed on the pistol grip, that would be a much better looking rifle.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2140 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think there are three issues with that stock.
Firstly I think the British style woodwork doesn't suit the American style action, but mostly I think the neck behind the pistol grip is cut too high? I think it would look a lot better of the line along the bottom of the stock, if extended, ran along the bottom of the tang. Also, the comb starts too far back. That convex curve just shouldn't be there.

I also really really don't like that particular scope. An older Leupold would have suited the rifle much better.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
.....I knew I'd seen that stock somewhere !!

Roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
These Prince of Whales grips are over done for sure, when done properly they are a superb classic styling, these are just too pronounced..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote