THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Single Shot Options--Whats available?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single Shot Options--Whats available?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted
Im looking for a single shot rifle, actually a couple; in 223 and 30-06. Id like to keep them under say $1500 each since Im looking for two and still have to add optics. Id prefer something with iron sights too, if possible.

Im NOT opposed to Ruger No1s; but Im wondering what else is out there.

Size Matters--A study of PDW's, PCC's, and SBR's
http://www.onesourcetactical.c...rs.aspx#.U9NDS3ZundU

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Handi Rifles, TC Contenders and Encore but they are not in the same class. The newer Winchesters are in that range. There are also some older customs that show up in that price range of all sorts of makes and models.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could order a Luxus with 2 barrels and be close.

http://www.luxusarms.com/

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger No 1's are easily set up for two barrel system for desire to have two different calibers. Have a NO.3 which is a switch barrel arrangement going from 45/70 to 348Win. Need barrel, correct extractor(some 8-10.00) and w/ witness mark on either barrel, remove one, thread up the other caliber w/ proper extractor and good to go. Not a complicated process to do.
Soon to have separate barrel for my No. 1 into '06 which is now 22-250. Just a suggestion.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Better check the Luxus price list again.
And I always forget that there are a bunch of bolt actions available if that is what you are interested in.

One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
Any thoughts on the TCR 83 or the Mossberg SSI ONE?

Posts: 205 | Location: NOTTINGHAM MD | Registered: 13 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any thoughts on the TCR 83 or the Mossberg SSI ONE?

The TCRs are long out of production, barrels are becoming hard to find and there is no factory support or parts. I traded several of them for Encores when the Encore was released partly because the TCR while a decent rifle always reminded me of the cheap single shot shotguns I grew up using. The Encores are much more friendly to parts swapping and experimentation. If you can find a Mossberg SSI they are little better than the Handi Rifles and simply do not fit into the same quality class of rifle as a Ruger No 1 if that is what you are comparing everything with.

Of course, the cheapest option in all of these (the Handi Rifle) will shoot about as well as any of the more expensive ones. And yes that does cause some frustration for the guys with the expensive custom single shots and great joy for the Handi Rifle shooters. Smiler

If you are looking at the bottom end, there is also a Rossi and a Baikal single shot but they make the Handi Rifles look pretty good in comparison.

So what are you really looking for? A cheap brush beater or a higher quality rifle? Do you want to be able to swap barrels or have complete separate rifles?

A bit of trolling on gunbroker and gunsamerica and gunsinternational will give you a good survey of what is out there.

One of Us
Picture of EDELWEISS
posted Hide Post
Well I guess, I do want something better than a H&R-mostly for snob reasons; although I will admit to being completely satisfied with the performance of several H&Rs. Its a lot like a buying a watch. A Timex tells time; but a Rolex becomes a family heirloom because its a Superlative Chronometer.

Without anything but hands on over the counter in a gunshop, the TCR looked and felt nice; but the real fear I have with it is that its years out of production. Ive only seen pictures of the Mossberg guns, and of course they are out of production as well.

The Ruger No1s aren't currently being made in 30-06 or 223, so Im stuck looking for a used gun, that the seller doesn't think is worth as much as a new one.

I did just fondle a Merkel K3 Stutzen package with the Swarovski z3 optic. THAT was exactly what Ive been dreaming about. Now the question is do I opt for just a 30-06 in the form of the Merkel OR try to find something of a lessor grade so I can have a 223 AND 30-06???

In the mean time Im trying to decide if I can get past the PISTOL grip of a T/C Encore. No its not a Merkel; but......

And to think this all started just because I wanted a lightweight option for days where hiking is more likely than hunting.

Any thoughts on the CZ EFFECT Single Shot?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you want the Merkel so you should buy that one. I'm not familiar with the CZ but google says it is discontinued as well. I love Encores but they are not what I pull out when I want pretty. As for Rugers, I bet you can find new ones if you poke around a bit. Someone surely has some old stock out there. And look at the Browning / Winchester 1885s if you like that style.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Look for one of the luxus M11 on the used market...nice guns!!!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would look for a used ruger #1A for the 06,
Then another #1 in .223 and order the sight from ruger ...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
-CVA Apex is a switch barrel platform that will allow you to have both barrels and scopes for less than the $1,500 you have.

-Browning 1885 on the used market will give you a choice of either caliber for less than the $1,500

- Winchester also has a single shot 1885.

- Luxusarms offers a very nice single shot that is a switch barrel platform but is a bit above the $1,500.

Bottom line is that there are several options open to you. Good luck.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know where there's a Perugini Visini Mustang break action single shot in 30-06....$26K :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The C Sharps also builds a nice rifle in the 1885 style, but i don't think they chamber the calibers you are looking for . At least they are not standard for them. At other times I have seen a used Dakota for not too much more than you would have in the 2. But that isn't what you want and me either.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Browning 1885s are very nice, and accurate. Mine is in 270 and so does not have the iron sights, but it has snob appeal with beautiful wood and a classic octagon barrel. If it were a 30-06 I would sell it to you cheap, or at least for barely what it's worth.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, just call me backwards (or practical).

Blaser K95 Luxus Stutzen; been there, got the T-shirt, in 7x75R and it's a wonderful rifle.

Just made the move on a SS T/C Encore Pro Hunter in 300 Win. Mag. & .233 Remington - I'm pleased; they both shoot & function superbly.

Now trying to assess why I shouldn't have purchased the Encore originally plus all of their barrels and still had cash left over when compared to the price of the Blaser?

Confused

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They seem to be something of an acquired taste but if you have any interest in them you can occasionally find nice German stalking rifles for around that price. The -06 might be a challenge but 8 X 57R should be fairly common and is just as good for all intents and purposes. 7 X 57R should be common also and is as classic as the -06. Something in the 223 class might be a real challenge although one in 22 Savage HiPower should be out there.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have thought of making a very small/slim singleshot rifle in .44special.
What is the smallest/simplest platform(action) in existance for this?. I am thinking about a Winchester low-wall or a scaled down RugerNo1 or something?.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jens, for a cartridge in that class I would seriously consider the old German Ideal action. Slim, simple, petite and bull strong. Here's some pictures of one I bought about two years ago in 8.15 X 46R. I would think in your part of the world they are much more common than our side of the Atlantic.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/f...er=311049#Post311049

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

I know the German fallblock action. A very neat one.

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
What is the smallest/simplest platform(action) in existance for this?.

This is about as slim and as simple as it gets. You'll have to rebarrel a factory rifle, though; or you could use Trail Boss in the .444 Marlin. This is a No.2 sized rolling block, and I'm still amazed they can chamber some of these cartridges.

The T/C Contender Carbine is also quite light and trim, but it's not so simple.

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asdf:
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
What is the smallest/simplest platform(action) in existance for this?.

This is about as slim and as simple as it gets. You'll have to rebarrel a factory rifle, though; or you could use Trail Boss in the .444 Marlin. This is a No.2 sized rolling block, and I'm still amazed they can chamber some of these cartridges.

The T/C Contender Carbine is also quite light and trim, but it's not so simple.

THANKS!!.

one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
jens, I can also point out the E.A.Brown 97, but it may not be easy to acquire in Europe. The receiver adapter for the rifle stock is quite ugly; I'd consider using using a stock based on the pistol grip mount. The wee Uberti is, I think, the best choice; one U.S. distributor says the weight is just over 2 kg for the carbine in the bigger bores. Karl

Posts: 977 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite modern production single shots in order of my preference (I have not owned them all, but would like too. I have shot most of them):

Bailey Bradshaw Falling Block (I would like a .300 H&H Flanged)

Butch Searcy Falling Block (.450/400)

Luxus Arms (Just received my two barrel set in .300 H&H and .22-250 with exquisite wood)

Ruger #1 (.450/400)

Browning 1885 (.300 H&H, .22-250, or .45/70)

Browning B78 (7mmRM)

Those are the best of the easily accessible single shots out there. There are some custom European makers, especially from Ferlach, that make marvelous rifles, but they will be very expensive and the wait time will be very long.

Just thinking and dreaming.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Haenel model 9 (Jaeger 9), apparently made by Merkel, sounds like exactly what you are describing. I don't know anything about them, but a Canadian dealer shows them on his website and I am growing more and more interested. Five and a half pounds, break-open action, instant takedown, graceful yet plain appearance, basic wood, no engravings or adornments. I'm hoping someone on here has one and can tell us more about it.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester 1885 in .300 H&H with the octagonal barrel. It was a CDNN special for around $800. It's a great gun, but heavy.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote