New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best scope setup for Ruger No 1
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’m buying a Ruger No 1 in 7mm-08 but don’t have any experience with this platform. I’ve read eye relief can be an issue due to the forward location of the scope mounts.

What’s everyone’s favorite scope set up? Go with a 1.5-5x20? Or maybe a 2.5-8x36? Should I use the extended rings that either Ruger or Leupold sell? If I go with the 36 mm objective, will it hit the scope mounting rail when using medium rings?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Believe it or not I have had the best luck using scout scopes, that have shorter eye relief for a “scout scope”. Leupold made a low power variable, something like 1.5-4x, with an eye relief of about 6” to 8” range. These are my go to #1 scope, pushed all the way forward in the mounts. They still make an expensive 1.5-5x scout scope with this range of eye relief. I even used the fixed power Burris scout on a #1, but was at the limit of the eye relief range.
Hope this helps.
Rich

Posts: 41 | Location: Millersville, MD | Registered: 12 September 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have always used the regular Ruger rings and have never had an issue. For a 7-08, I would use a Leupold 2-7, 2.5-8, or 3-9.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right, what Loud said. I have had a dozen #1s and never had a problem. with eye relief.
If you use a low power scope you might want more power for longer shots; don't know what you plan to hunt with it. That is the key.
I hate the scout scope concept; a very dumb idea. You do get more eye relief for which you pay with a very low FOV. Maybe for 25 yard shooting in the brush or something... Yes I do have one. A 45-70.

Posts: 17062 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you will be fine with the regular rings and a scope with good eye relief. The newer Leupold rifle scopes in fixed power or variables at lower power ranges generally do well for this.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a no.1 in .270 Wby. I don’t like having to crane my neck to reach the scope so I went with a scout scope set-up. Didn’t like it. Then I ordered a picatinny rail from EGW to replace the factory quarter rib, mounted weaver rings with the rear one being an extension ring and put on a Bushnell Banner scope which I believe has 4” of eye relief. This set-up works great and gives a fast sight acquisition.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger No. 1 with a custom 25" barrel. I had an 'island' forward scope mount made and fitted with Talley rings. It has an 'English' style stock with a barrel band sling attachment. I am thinking I might put a simple Leupold M8 fixed 4X compact on it. It's a .257 Roberts.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
I have found that the Leupold 3.5x10 VX3 scope works pretty well. It is longer than the 2.5x8. Sometimes I have used it with one extension ring and one standard ring, on smaller calibers. The Leupold fixed 3x is excellent on these as well, If that's enough magnification for you on a particular rifle. I have that on a 450/400.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyPhD:
I have found that the Leupold 3.5x10 VX3 scope works pretty well. It is longer than the 2.5x8. Sometimes I have used it with one extension ring and one standard ring, on smaller calibers. The Leupold fixed 3x is excellent on these as well, If that's enough magnification for you on a particular rifle. I have that on a 450/400.

Thanks, I have a 3.5-10 Vx3i I can try out. Are you using the Ruger brand medium extension ring? Is there enough clearance for the ocular bell above the rib?

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
At present I've got the Leupold rings (inc. an extension ring) on a couple of them, but have used the Ruger extension rings in the past. The extension rings are only available in medium (height) I think. Not sure my memory is 100% on that. But yes, medium rings in the Ruger or Leupold will work, IF your rifle does not have the fixed shallow V express sights found on some variants such as the Boddington rifles. In one instance I removed the folding leaf read sight by simply tapping out the pin that holds it to the base. That was enough to make it work. I didn't need to take out the dovetail mounting base for the leaf sight. I might have been trying to mount a scope with low rings on that one, don't remember for sure (been several years).

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think a huge factor is your physique and how you mount the rifle. I know folks who have no issues using any scope in the Ruger rings supplied with the gun. Not me. I can’t get any normal scope back far enough. The extension ring helps, but even then it’s marginal for me. If possible, I’d recommend trying some fits before you buy...helps if your friends shot No.1s!

As others have mentioned, you can use a scout scope. A true “scout scope” has an eye relief of about 9”, which is to much for the No.1, in my opinion. However, Leupold makes a VX-F 1-4 that they call a “scout scope”, but it’s really more of an intermediate, with eye relief of 6”. I put one of these on a No.1 last year, and it’s been working very well for me. FOV is better than a true scout scope. If 4 power is enough for your needs, you may want to look at it.

Another option, the Bushnell Elite 6500 1.25-8 has longer than normal eye relief; something like 5”. It’s been discontinued for a couple of years but there may still be some floating around. I’ve never seen one, but I have seen other Elite 6500 models and the optics were very good.

And last, Ruger doesn’t make extension rings in 30mm. Leupold does, but only in high and super high. So, you’re limited to 1” scopes if you want them low.

W

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I scoped my 1A 6.5x55 with a Leupold VXIII 1.5-5, and I had to employ an an extended ring on the rear and then the standard front ring all but covers the gold ring on the end of the scope. A bit strange, I know, but with my permanently stiff neck I had to for decent eye relief.

Equally strange is my 1A .250-3000 (rebarreled) that I mounted an older VXII 2-7 and got away with the original rings. I do have to scooch my nose forward a bit but it's not too awkward for casual shooting. If I head into the deer woods with it I may re-think the setup.

Posts: 329 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive used most calibers in #1s..I like the 3X, and 4X leupolds best, but have a 3x9 on my Ruger #1 S in .338 Win..Never have I had any problem with eye relief with #1s..You may need to take off the ruger pad and add a Pachmyer to get more stock length, that would fix any eye relief for most folks..

For hunting, I can shoot as accurately with a 3 or 4 power as I can with 9 to 12x scope..Why do folks think more scope power makes the rifle shoot better..You do the same thing at any range, in that you put the X where it belongs and squeeeeeze the trigger..scope power does not make one a better shot, that's in the mind of the beholder IMO..For shooting offhand the more power the harder it is to hold on target btw..try it at 100 yards then make your decision..It it doesn't you better get to a good heart doctor, you ain't breathing...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41781 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote