THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    RARE Martini Joins the Family- Take-down WW Greener Sharpshooter's Club Rifle 310 cal

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RARE Martini Joins the Family- Take-down WW Greener Sharpshooter's Club Rifle 310 cal
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
Every so often something comes along that says "Buy Me, Buy Me." This is one of those.

Its a first year production WW Greener "Sharpshooter's Club" rifle in .310 Cadet caliber. And its a "take-down" model. WW Greener was the Company that first introduced the small Martini action, that was soon to be copied by the thousands, by BSA, Francotti, and others.

This one is a real "hoot" to plink with. I obtained Factory information from WW Greener. Now I'm looking for a small take-down case befitting the rifle.

Barrel marking shows that the rifle was re-inspected by the Birmingham Proof House in 1975.

As always, your comments are welcome.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2099 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is an excellent find! A pal of mine in Warwickshire has a similar one and it shoots brilliantly.

HB

Posts: 83 | Location: Olde England | Registered: 03 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HistoricBore:
That is an excellent find! A pal of mine in Warwickshire has a similar one and it shoots brilliantly.

HB

Hello HistoricBore,
Thanks for the reply.

So far I've only shot it at 50 feet on our indoor range. When Spring gets here, I'll take it to the 50 yard range.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2099 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have your rifle's younger brother!

Mine is also a take-down Cadet Martini in .310, but it is not a Sharpshooter's Club rifle. It was made in 1902.

Interestingly, the take-down mechanism is completely different, with the front bottom of the receiver split, and a lever on the side which tightens it down. It also has a safety catch, and the pin layout is different from yours.

It is also a bit fancier than yours, with engraving around the borders. Unfortunately, it is not 100% original, the rear sight has been replaced (possibly more than once) and when I got it the forend tip was missing.

The bore on mine is pristine, and I have achieved groups of around 3" at 100m, which is pretty good for my eyes behind iron sights and the quality (or lack thereof) of my cast bullets.

Posts: 453 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
What a fantastic find, and unbutchered to boot; good job! I hope it shoots tiny groups for you.

Posts: 964 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are a coule of detail views of my 1902 Greener:

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, what a great score! Enjoy it in good health.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much NormanConquest