Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 .30/30
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Okay who has one? Big Grin Bobby's thread in the Hog section has me thinking about one of these to reload spitzer bullets in just for something different. Even the .30-40 Krag in the #1 would be interesting Cool

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Chapius double in 30/30 and it has a matched set in 22 Hornet. Plenty fun.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I never heard of them making one. But if you have a frame, I could...

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
http://www.lipseys.com/itemdet...spx?itemno=RUK1A3030

Alexander Henry forend Cool

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Rather pretty.

https://www.ruger.com/products...pecSheets/21317.html

But got a No.1 7.62x39 instead. Brass seems to be more robust. Can be handloaded for enhanced performance.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
So, if you want to enhance the performance then you didn't want a 30-30 level cartridge in the first place.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The no. 3 was in 30-40 Krag and 22 Hornet. and apparently they have made a 30-30 in the past and plan to do so again Im told..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4sixteen:
Rather pretty.

https://www.ruger.com/products...pecSheets/21317.html

But got a No.1 7.62x39 instead. Brass seems to be more robust. Can be handloaded for enhanced performance.

7.62x39 is another cheap plinker Cool I got one in the Ruger American Ranch Rifle and it is actually quite accurate. $4.99/20 makes it nice to feed and the nephews can shoot it as long as they want without me worrying about dents and dings in fine wood dancing

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
How's that for practicality! Handloaded in my No.1: 150gr at 2450 fps muzzle speed with decent accuracy. Similar to .30-30 ballistics.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Good looking rifle 416! I like it!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The third option is the 30R Blaser, runs about like the 30-06AI with a 180gr. call it a modern 300H&H rimmed.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They make them in 30-30 I had one. It didn’t shoot very well. Prophet River Firearms was selling them.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Was a short run, from´86-´88,as non-cataloge rifle.

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
The no. 3 was in 30-40 Krag and 22 Hornet..I don't know of a 30-30 in any original no. 1,

I have a Ruger No. 3 in 30/40 Krag.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Big Bore Fan is right, they did make a run of them in 1986 and 1987. Just how many of them Ruger made is not know. According to J D Clayton in his book Ruger No.1, the 30-30 was offered in a 1-S. Non-catalogued means they made them for a distributor.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
making them now but in stainless, hurump!

one of us
posted Hide Post
RJ Renner at www.rjrenner.com. will take your fwt. Ruger no. 1 and customize the stock to English pattern that slim and slicker n snot and the gun will weigh 5 lbs give or take a few ounces, add a tang peep of course the quarter rib, barrel band swivel in front of the skinny forend and barreled band front sight..sexy as hell, cost is $2000 and a steal at that..caliber got my blood pumping, 25-35 Win., but comes in a varity of calibers...One of these days I will own one..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chambered mine in 303 Epps in a 30 cal. barrel (Douglas, 12 twist). Just like a 30/06 but more work and less common.
The 30/30 in a No.1 can be loaded HOT! 2700 with 150's is no problem. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3490 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A typical, buy a 30-30 or 30-40 and try to get 30-06 velocity, the mindset of a true wildcatter.. jumping

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
So, if you want to enhance the performance then you didn't want a 30-30 level cartridge in the first place.

A 30-30 in a single shot rifle will shoot amply-flat and provide more than 1,000 ft./lbs of energy at 300 yards. I've killed hundreds of head of game with cartridges in this power class and never felt undergunned. He never mentioned enhancing or feeling the need to hotrod the cartridge, as Ray spoke of, but simply made note of bullets better suited to its usage since there is no need to handicap the single shot rifle with blunt projectiles. Some of the newer bullets intended for the Blackout are quite wicked at 30-30 speeds. To boot, the time-tested 125 grain Ballistic Tips and Accubonds work wonderfully at 2600 fps from my 24" barrel. Smiler

Sub-1700 fps impact:

Taken from the boar in bottom photo:

Showing the thickness of the shield:

The 2 below were actually fired from my .300 Savage Contender and recovered from large hogs. I only run them a bit over 100 fps faster than my 30-30 loads. Their effectiveness can't be denied.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9319 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
What a great thread! Thanks for enhancing it Bobby.
Ray, Roger Renner was responsible for building some of the most beautiful underhammer muzzle-loading heavy rifles some years back. He is a master.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
RJ Renner at www.rjrenner.com. will take your fwt. Ruger no. 1 and customize the stock to English pattern that slim and slicker n snot and the gun will weigh 5 lbs give or take a few ounces, add a tang peep of course the quarter rib, barrel band swivel in front of the skinny forend and barreled band front sight..sexy as hell, cost is $2000 and a steal at that..caliber got my blood pumping, 25-35 Win., but comes in a varity of calibers...One of these days I will own one..Go look..

Here's your chance...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/850291122

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
What a great thread! Thanks for enhancing it Bobby.

+100000!! Thanks for the photos and information added to the thread Bobby Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
Id love a #1-A in 25-35 Win., be a great deer and hog gun, and I've killed more than a few elk with one, get close and shoot straight and it works everytime, be ready to pass on huge bulls at 200 yards or beyond..you allways see them when undergunned.. rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Ray, I just picked up a nice No 3 30-40 and think with a slimmed and cut down stock it should make a great first deer rifle for grandkids.

And old men too !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Very nice Phil! I have been on the lookout for a #1 or #3 in .30-40 ever since I got my first Krag. Apparently Ruger did a very limited run of the #1 for Cabelas to sell in their stores. I'd love to have one of those.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil,
I picked up a nice old Springfield 30-40 Krag, excellent bore, the rest is rougher than a cob, but the wood is solid..Its a carbine modification, by Springfield..ordered dies, brass and something else..All I have to do is dump a bundle of those long 220 gr. Corelokts in that tub on the side and shoot whatever gets in my way!!! Nostalgia from and early deer as a kid when I shot a great buck at 150 yards with one just like this one, it puts them down, so I shot an elk and got the same results..Im sure I'll sell it downt the road but for now is my new baby... tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 30/40 is a cartridge of which I've always been fond. While limited to low pressure loads in a Krag, there are no such limitations in a stronger action. I have 30/40's in all sorts of rifles. The Lee Enfield can't be loaded too hot but I shoot 165's at 2650 for my standard load and 220's at 2300 for a heavy load. The Lee Enfield rewards lighter loading with better case life so I shoot 150's at about 2500 for practice and woods hunting for deer. All the other rifles are strong actions and will handle more. A P14, a Ruger 77, a PGS (a 40X clone), and a Siamese Mauser. In the PGS, I load 155's to 2950 fps. In the Ruger, 190's are doing 2600. These are target rifles and have 28 inch barrels.
Years ago, I went into the local gunshop, intending to buy a #3 in 30/40. My eye was caught by a Browning 78 in 45/70 and I bought that instead. Although the 78 mostly taught me, "all that glitters is not gold", I dodged a bullet on that particular #3. A doctor friend bought it and found it to be capable a solid 8 moa. Careful handloading brought that down to 6 moa. Ruger told him it was "within spec". Regards, Bill

Posts: 3490 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Apparantly Ruger recently came out with a #1 in 30-30 Im told..

Never doubt how accurate a 30-30 can be in a falling block or 54 Winchester, Ive seen them cut pin holes, a very accurate caliber, got somewhat of a rap in the lever actions, but I have a couple of 94s, one a RJRenner Hdwe gun that shoots 1.5" and a old SRC that shoots so good its scary under an inch every time..I keep those kinds of guns..I like accuracy.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I had an uncle who had a savage 30-30 bolt action. He was death on deer with it for 50 years. I never saw him group in on paper, but it absolutely worked in the field.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If folks would just think about this, the 30-30 might take on a new dimension with them..Its accepted that the 30-06 is an good elk gun to 400 or 500 yards, and I agree if you can place a bullet at such ranges..and if that's the case then the 30-06 is in fact a 30-30 at those long ranges, and from the 5 or 6 elk Ive killed with a 30-30 at 200 yards and under is the reason Ive always been so impressed with its killing power on gamef, its as good as an 06, it just runs out of gas sooner! shocker

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well said. 3030 and 3006 are so useful

One of Us
posted Hide Post
almost forgot I found a Parker double in 3030. with take down case a mear $10,000. !!

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
It is 790 days from when this post was made...
Or 2 years, 1 month, 28 days...
Or 25 month, 28 days including the end date.
dancing dancing dancing
But I found my #1 .30/30 within 4 hours of my home for a reasonable price. Bringing it home now. 2011 Manufacture, blued/walnut. It's going to be an awesome rifle to shoot and hunt with.

I'm almost done with my searches for more firearma... (yeah right)...still waiting to fins a nice 45/70 #1. Maybe next year Big Grin

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
It is 790 days from when this post was made...
Or 2 years, 1 month, 28 days...
Or 25 month, 28 days including the end date.
dancing dancing dancing
But I found my #1 .30/30 within 4 hours of my home for a reasonable price. Bringing it home now. 2011 Manufacture, blued/walnut. It's going to be an awesome rifle to shoot and hunt with.

I'm almost done with my searches for more firearma... (yeah right)...still waiting to fins a nice 45/70 #1. Maybe next year Big Grin

Congrats. But, without pics, it doesn't exist!

I've been hankering for a SS .30-30 myself.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post

Just got home!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an interesting single shot 30/30. It was built on a Stevens 44 1/2 action with all metalwork by the Luft brothers including octagon barrel and tang mounted rear peep sight and stock by Jack Haugh in lovely crotch American walnut. Could someone post pictures for me? Thanks...

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 334 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great thread! Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eddiel4:
I have an interesting single shot 30/30. It was built on a Stevens 44 1/2 action with all metalwork by the Luft brothers including octagon barrel and tang mounted rear peep sight and stock by Jack Haugh in lovely crotch American walnut. Could someone post pictures for me? Thanks...

I use

https://postimages.org/

I Just click to have them resize for message board/forum. It's free and works great