Tools

Ruger #1 .30/30
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eddiel4:
I have an interesting single shot 30/30. It was built on a Stevens 44 1/2 action with all metalwork by the Luft brothers including octagon barrel and tang mounted rear peep sight and stock by Jack Haugh in lovely crotch American walnut. Could someone post pictures for me? Thanks...

Beautiful rifle!!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since this thread started I have aquired a custom Savage 99 in 30-30, thats simply awesome, and I bought it on AR..and its got near 50 culled does to its credit..I used several bullets and they all performed the same, then I found a RJ Renner custom for $600 in Arizona, grabbed it up and its a 7x57 on a ruger 77, love this one, slim and trim like a rifle should be, now has two cow elk to its credit and a number of whitetail..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack Haugh was the king of gun makers, the best of the best, metal or wood or carriages for that matter..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ray how does the runner shoot?

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Ray - is it an RS model with sights? I'd love to have a Mark II RS in 7x57

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 99 is a custom of sorts by old time well known gun maker George Bentzinger. Has original barrel and 30-30 marked. I assume he used the original barrel because it shoots an inch and under..It functions like a Swiss watch, makes you want to watch TV and work the action, stock is custom and lean and mean with a simi cresent butt stock, beautiful dark walnut (Turkish Im pretty sure) and beautiful checkering and lots of it with mullard borders..LOading is tricky but once I figured its rimmed and you load it rim in front of a rim, its slicker n snot..Ive done a good deal of investigation, and it seems George built it for himself to tinker with and ended up selling it, it showed up on AR and I pounced on it before the ink dried. Off hand I don't recall the sellers name, but a super nice guy, perhaps he will read this and come forth the rest is history other than all my hunting pards all over the US have pleaded to puurchase, but to no avail, and they made some decent offers that made me run and hide..Its a beautiful piece of history about a fine gunmaker of yesteryear..I had a chance at a large bull elk but never got quite close enough for a killing shot, so passed for this year..It has a pension for factory Rem corlokts at under an inch as a rule and with a Lyman peep, handloads seem to cluster an inch often but mostly 1 to 2 inches..She is the queen of the gun cabinet also.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 77 RJ Renner is as picted on is web sight, came with rings and irons, stock is lean and mean, side panels Has a Muzzle loader slide bar up front forend that I love. Short schnable forend, checkered grip and no checkering on forend. red half inch recoil pad, barrel band swivel, QD receiver. trimmed Ruger rings and a 2.5X Leupold Alaskan and a Leupold 4X. both sighted in and maintain zero if screw slots are vertical when switched and very tight..Renner is a genious.. Gun is very accurate or it woudn't still be in my cabinet long.dotes on 130 and 145 gr Speer BTSP or flat base,both outstanding deer bullets. I like the 160 gr Nosler partitions for
elk.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bugle, has the Ruger No. 1 performed the way you had hoped it would?
This business of single shots in .30-30 is interesting. There is a chap from Oceania who has been posting on Castboolits.com about a Husqvarna Model 35 in .30-30. It's an intriguing rifle, and the action is a scaled-down Mauser Model 1871.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote