New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm interested in buying a Ruger #1 B in 30-06. I am new to number ones so if someone could answer a few questions. Are the older ones better than buying one new in the box? How well will a new one group ? What to look for in buying used?

Thanks

Don't let your fears get in the way of your dreams

Posts: 141 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The older ones almost always have nicer, figured wood on them and better blueing too. The only benefit to a newer model is that you could go with a stainless model, if you also like a laminated stock to go with it. I have never seen a worn out #1 yet so I doubt that is a concern. I would still check the usual...like what the bore looks like to make sure its not rusted etc., but most of these are "pet rifles" and are well taken care of.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everybody ought to own a Ruger No. 1. I have two: an older .375 H&H and a new .416 Rigby. Both are blue/walnut. The older .375 has a beautiful piece of wood. Both rifles shoot well. Mine are both topped with Lepould VX III 1.5-5x20. I've found I need a longer scope tube to get the correct eye relief. Give some consideration to the new 9.3x74. This is a new offering from Ruger.

If you buy an older rifle use the same proceedure you use when considering other used rifle actions.

Buliwyf

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i have a .458 win mag in a #1h..topped with a millet reddot electronic scope.... shoots great, great looking wood...i use 350gr federal sp's for hog hunting... shot an axis buck at about 85 yds, broadside, through the top of each shoulder and clipped the spine... no damage to any meat... i had a .270 win in a #1a... great wood, topped with an older weaver k6 with a dot... first shot was exactly where the croshairs were set... not sure if the 2nd shot even got out of the barrel... more i shot it, less i liked the accuracy... traded it to a friend (thats a 1-shot hunter)... he loves it, and we're still friends...if you buy 1, be prepared to have some accuracy work on it.... not saying that the 1 you'll buy will, but be prepared....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two #1's - .375H&H and .458WM. Iron sights - paid less than 400 each - that dates me.

I have two #3's - .375Win and 7mm-08. Accurate - because someone who owned them before me worked out any problems (and added HEAVY barrels, did some trigger work).

Buy them 2nd hand - after you've shot several 5 shot groups in a row - then you'll KNOW how it shoots.

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
When you buy a Ruger No.1, the chances of getting an accurate one are just as good as the chances of getting an accurate rifle of any make and model. I've had six No.1's plus a No. 3, and every one of them has been a 1 MOA or less rifle (the 7 Mag. shoots 1" @ 200 yards)right out of the box with nothing done except mounting a scope on them. However, I have used handloaded ammo, not factory stuff, in all of them. But none of this ammo was worked up especially for accuracy in a particular No. 1, either.

Personally, I would buy a used one if available, as you will probably save some money that way. All of mine have red rubber butt pads, so none of them are of recent manufacture.

If I were buying one today for a hunting rifle, I'd get a 1A, as they are light, handy, and have 22" barrels, which is plenbty long enough for good performance from the calibers currently available in that version.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will the person that sent me the private message on the 270 #1 please send it again. I went to respond and the message was missing.

Thank You

Don't let your fears get in the way of your dreams

Posts: 141 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK Hunter you have PM.

Posts: 262 | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With Quote