Find
Notify
Tools

Got my K95. SHOOTS WELL
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Just got it last night. It's practically new with the box and manual and chambered in 7X57 and made in 2004. Sorry about the so-so pictures. My camera only seems to like bright sun, no flash. Been pretty rainy here.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
That's one sweet looking rifle - please let us know how it shoots.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
please let us know how it shoots.

Admiral, it's a Blaser,...need you ask how it will shoot?

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats.

Great looking rifle

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cat Power. I'm glad I passed on the other ones. Sub....I'll shoot it soon and post the results. Got to get some rimmed ooops-rimless ammo for it first. Anyone out there have a favorite factory load in 7X57?

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

yuck

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I think somone's helmet is a little too tight. rotflmo Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice

Posts: 74 | Location: out west | Registered: 20 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. You will love it. I have a Stutzen like yours but in a 243 and left handed.

They are wonderful rifles and a joy to carry in the field.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Biebs, you may have outdone yourself on this one. Very funny, indeed.
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
That's what I've been hearing. If it shoots well, I'll carry it this year.
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Lyle:
Beautiful rifle. You will love it. I have a Stutzen like yours but in a 243 and left handed.

They are wonderful rifles and a joy to carry in the field.

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I like your caliber selection, too. I'll be interested in hearing how it shoots although I'll be shocked if it doesn't quickly become your favorite go-to gun.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I think it will shoot well too. Among other K95 owners, I trust Beibs' claims of accuracy since he's owned a lot of Blasers through the years. Oh, BTW it is a rimless 7X57.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
It shoots custom Hornady 139's around 2MOA. Just getting started though. This gun is short and light!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine likes 140s to 160s, close to the lands. So far 140 tsx the best at .010 from the lands.

Posts: 1068 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks eny, Good to know. I should start reloading. I still have a couple more factory loads to try first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess is that this rifle will like the heavier bullets better. It's a European rifle and they usually design the barrels to have a twist to best accommodate heavier bullet weights. Do you know what the barrel twist is? That's the place to start when it comes to selecting a bullet.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
The 7x57 should have a 1-10" twist.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder mdstewart. I'm not sure what the twist is. I should run the bore brush through and see. While I'm at it, I should back out the bullet on a factory load, chamber it then compare the OAL to a factory load to get some idea of how much bullet jump there is as well.
Thanks for the heads up on the standard twist Cliff.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
8.5 inch twist. I have no way to pull a bullet without marring it up to check bullet jump. But, any recommendations in bullet weight for this twist is appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Custombolt : Bullets heavier than 140 grs. are recommended as per Shilen Barrels web page for that barrel twist.
Anyhow , you could ask Blaser for that matter.
Mail : bernd.fleischmann@BLASER.DE
I have done the same in the past, and had a promt and efficient answer.
Good luck with your K-95. I have enjoyed mine beyond expectations.
Pulki.

Posts: 93 | Location: Santiago, Chile. | Registered: 13 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
pulki. I came up with a formula based on barrel twist that does just that, suggests (much) heavier bullets. a 1 in 8.5" twist is really fast. So, 175's seem like the right neighborhood of weight. Unfortunately, I can't find any decent quality factory loads with heavier/longer bullets. Might have to order some custom loads. But, I will email Fleischman to see what he says first. Thank you.

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
www.blaser-usa.com should be able to answer any questions you may have on your k95.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for warming this thread up Cliff. I thought I had followed up. I don't own a bullet puller so I have yet to re-seat any rounds. My best shooter is a Mauser .270 that likes .050 off the lands. (Thanks eny) I have talked to them at Blaser USA and also got correspondence from Bernd at Blaser.de Both said heavier bullets in the 165-180 grain range will perform best. Incidentally, my 9 inch twist Dakota got the same recommendations from Ward. I have some Norma Oryx 156 grain soft points to try next. Heavier factory loads are nearly impossible to find. These Norma's are the heaviest available from my research. I'll punch some paper when I get time on a windless day. It's been either hot or windy here. Thanks all.

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
I just took possession of a 25-06 bbl for my Prestige and am really excited to get it out to see what it will do. It should be a pronghorn smacker.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Sounds good. Where did you find that caliber?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Biebs is correct.

You can ask a lot of questions about a Blaser rifle...

But you never have to ask how it shoots... Wink

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I just got back from shooting the new Norma loads. I think this will do. The barrel was getting hot, the sun was in my eyes and the flies were a real pest. Even after the excuses, here's the results. A good barrel cleaning and I'll be set.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Hey Jon, I take back the tight helmet joke. Big Grin I think this gun will do 1/2 inch with these factory loads and that's pretty impressive with a shorter barrel. Thanks to all for the encouragement. Ray

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, if you can't get a Blaser down near 1/2" MOA with the right ammunition, don't change anything about the rifle, just change the shooter :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would still look at the 175's. Try some cheap Prvi Partisans in 175's, if I remember correctly they offer that load in 7x57R. Unlike most Americans, the Europeans lean toward heavier bullets at moderate velocities, and for most hunting, that is a good combination. Nice rifle

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
mdstewart. Thanks. I'll be happy to get my groups down at 1/2 MOA or less. No need to go any further since this will be used at 150 yards or less and I really like these Norma cases as the quality is so much better than Privi's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 308 K 95 Stutzen.

I shot 6 different factory loads and one reload.

This was with 150, 165,168 and 180gr bullets.
The rifle never shot a 3 shot group over one inch.

And this was shooting prone off of my hunting pack.

It was one of the most accurate huting rifles I have ever fired.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting N E. I just shot this one on a clean barrel Saturday and got 2 shots almost touching in a light down wind, then the next 2 were an inch and 1/4 below those almost touching with no swabbing in between. It's my go to light stalker.