THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    What is the best caliber & most winning BPC known ?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the best caliber & most winning BPC known ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for info as to the most event winning caliber for the BPCR .

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 45/70 by miles, next is the 40/65 for silhouettes.

If you mean long range shoots the 45/90 is a winner also.
BPCR here

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Ireload2

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
A lot depends on which event you plan to shoot. The main BPCR events are silhouette, mid-range, creedmore, and schuetzin. Concho filled you in for the first three, and .32-40 is the most popular for schuetzen.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be putting together a rifle for a fellow who is new to the game and asked me what I thought as to the best caliber for all the shoots ? I advised 45/90 ! thought I would get some very good responce in this forum from people who really know . Thanks for the help concho .

one of us
posted Hide Post
Concho,
The trend in the silhouette and long range games is toward tighter twists because they want heavier bullets for less wind drift. This in turn makes for more recoil too.
I think there is a 12 lb weight limit for silhouette and a 15 lb limit for long range.

Barrel length is another factor. Some shooters report the barrel fouling out in a match if it is longer than 30 inches. This is due to the lack of adequate lube capacity on the bullet.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Concho:

Because of the differences of the games, no single chambering is "best" for all of them. The closest would indeed be the .45-70. If it were not for the 12 pound weight limit for silhouette, I would say the .45-90. The .45-90 may well be the best of all the BP chamberings in every respect, but the recoil is brutal in a 12 pound rifle. Some folks can handle it, but I am not one.

For silhouette and midrange, there is no better chambering than the .45-70. It is easy to work with and is a reliable performer. It can be loaded down for offhand shooting and stoked up for 500 meters.

For the long range game, the .45-90 is the cartridge to which all the others are compared. It pretty much is the standard, and rightfully so. NRA rules allow a 15 pound rifle and at that weight the .45-90 is quite manageable.

International long range rules limit the rifle weight to 13 pounds. I am in the early stages of building a International rifle and it will be chambered for the .45-70. This will be something of a handicap to the 90, but I believe less so than the recoil of a 90 in a 13 pound rifle.

The ultimate limit of one rifle for the BP games is the 12 pound silhouette rule. I suggest a 12 pound .45-70 as the ideal silhouette/ midrange rifle that will do a passable job at long range.

As for barrel length, I shoot 34" barrels. Maybe it is some sort of compensation thing...<g> I now wipe between shots, but had no difficulties when I was still using a blow tube. I think that if there is a "standard" barrel length it would be 30" for silhouette/ midrange and 34" for long range.

Glenn Fewless

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This fellow is a hunter and wants to have a rifle caliber for both worlds , The 45/90 is what he chose, 34" 1in18"
barrel . Thank you all !