Find
Notify
Tools

Martlinterli
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
A Martlinteli is a martini mated to a Vetterli chambered for a Marlin. I have a spare large martini Enfield action, a spare .303 breech block and firing pin, an extra set of Martini wood, and a Vetterli barrel with a good bore that slugs at 0.429 inches, which got me thinking (never a good thing). The barrel has a 1:26 twist, which should be good for the .444 Marlin, and the large Martini actions are supposedly good for well over 45,000 psi, while the .444 Marlin is rated at 42,000 psi max. All I would need is the .444 Marlin reamer and I could be off to the races, parts-wise. The barrel would need to be set back about 1-1/4", rethreaded to clean up the Vetterli chamber, and the extractor cuts made. I will also need to alter the arms on the extractor to fit the .444 case, but all of this is straight forward.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Fun project, mister, but how is it you have a spare Vetterli barrel just lying about?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
R

Righteous concept! Keep us posted!

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
My Dad had a Vetterli that he was converting to centerfire with a somewhat rough barrel, so he bought a barreled receiver online with a good barrel. Unfortunately, the threads are 180 degrees off from each other on the two receivers. I finished the Vetterli after my dad passed and since I am too lazy to re-index, rechamber, and redo the extractor cut on the good barrel, I kept the rough barrel, which after some lapping and cleaning, is shootable. I use smokeless powder and paper patched bullets in it, so leading and fouling are not too much of an issue. I will try to remember to post photos as I go along with the Martlinterli.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote