New
Find
Notify
Tools

50-70 contender carbine
 Login/Join

<wildcat51>
posted
I know this sounds crazy but does anyone actually own a contender barrel in 50-70? SSK and Van Horn chamber for the round. SSK actually has a picture with a caption that says it is a fun round. Dies are $30. Bell brass is 20/$35. Someone must sell cheap cast bullets in the correct diameter what ever that might be.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it uses the same bullet as original 50-70, bullet diameter should be .515". I shoot this calber in a rolling block. Great fun. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wildcat;

I own a 50-70-750 SSK Stainless Contender barrel 16".It does a 650gr BMG bullet over 1100fps.Tracers are a lot of.My dies where more than you said.

And it is a lot of fun to shoot,and it gets a lot of attetion at the gun range. Very accurate also I shoot it to 300yds all the time with open sights.

Wade

Posts: 219 | Location: indiana | Registered: 07 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wildcat: My only experience with this round is in Trapdoors and Swedish rolling blocks with black powder. The Lyman dies are affordable and excellent. I used the Lee .515-450 mould (about $15) with perfect satisfaction.

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote