THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    .32-20 or .357 Magnum in a Martini Cadet

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.32-20 or .357 Magnum in a Martini Cadet
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I have a martini cadet action that already has the firing bushed and a small-diameter firing pin installed. I plan to use it to build a target/rook rifle. I cannot decide whether to build it into a .32-20 or .357 Magnum. I have brass, dies, etc for both, so that is not a consideration. It will be used for shooting targets and small game/varmints, primarily using cast bullets, and will be an iron sighted rifle.The barrel will be half-actagon/half-round. The .32-20 is the slightly easier route, as the extractor requires no alteration, but opening the extractor for .357 Magnum is no big deal. There will be no difference in the cost of the build for me between these two rounds. There is not a wrong answer to this question. Which would you build, or what other cartridge would you build it in, and why?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a single shot 357 mag it is a hoot to shoot and very accurate.

The reason I would go with 357

One is the long term availability components. No concern now but what about years from now.

It is a much better big game round if someone has to use it as such.

Other then those two no reason not to go with the .32-20

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good problem to have. Were it me, there's no question but that it would be the 32-20. I simply like it better than the 357. Better than most other revolver/small rifle cartridges in fact.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
.357 is my choice... cheap brass... bazillion different bullets... load it up, down... easy extraction... i had a 219 mashburn bee in a cadet that was a misery when it came to resizing brass... and getting it to consistently extract...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2824 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a .256 WM? Brass is easily made from .357 brass and it would have more spunk that the .32-20 and a little more sex appeal that the .357 mag.

Hip

Posts: 1794 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I seriously considered the .256 Winchester and the .25-20 since I am a fan of quarter bores.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one in .357. It was a rebore. I used it for deer from a shooting stand in a cedar thicket. Never shot more that 50 yards away. I took a lot of deer with it. mostly neck shots. I sold it when I sold that property. Now I have a 17 Hornet, 25-35 and a 5.6X50R in cadets.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dad had a Martini Cadet which was sleeved and chambered for .22hornet.
Every couple of hundred rounds, the sleeve would set back enough to make it difficult to open the action. Not sure if the job was done badly, but as a result I would likely choose whichever cartridge runs on the lower pressure. I imagine that would be .32-20 but not sure?

Posts: 458 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one of my cadets is in 256 and i really would much prefer is over 357 or 32-20

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.357 is one of my favorite all-around cartridges, so I'm likely a bit biased Smiler

Thanks very much,
Robert (13.45)
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 83 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned Martini Cadets in .32-20, .357, and .256 Winchester. They've all gone down the road over the years as my interests changed, but if I could only have one, I'd go with the .256.

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I like the 32-20 and have it in an old revolver and sometimes shoot it for an oldies/classic shooting session but if I was barreling a Martini Cadet it would be a 357 Mag.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
The rifle will be built like an English rook rifle with iron sights for target and some small game shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check todays classifieds, Rolland had a cadet barrel in 38/357 listed.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I saw it, but my plan is to barrel this with a half octagon barrel with wedding band transition.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Martini barrel that was re-bored and chambered to 357 mag, with few miles on it. I restocked and barreled it to 17 hornet; with a PacNor barrel it almost shoots one-holers and is death on sage rats.

If you can use it you're welcome to it. PM me at jmbn1@outlooki.com

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make thatjmbn1@outlook.com

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Hi Jerry.

E-mail sent.

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What? No 218 Bee. I have had one on a Cadet since I was a teen (long ago)! It shoots great but the wood needs to be replaced with something a little nicer. I might get around to it one of these days I have a bunch of English and Claro 2-piece sets that have set around too long. I guess they are well seasoned by now.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Actually, I just picked up a rimfire takedown that is likely to end up with a barrel in .218 Bee (I already have the barrel) and a barrel in .32-20.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a friend that used to clean house with a small Martini and it was in the 25-35 win..Not sureif his was a cadit but it was small and cute and would drive tacks all day long.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've had Savage 23's in 25 and .32-20 since the mid '70's. I like the power level but not the brass. I'm in the beginning process of building on a small Greener take down action that is currently rimfire. I had one in .218 Bee that I foolishly sold. It will be either a .357 Magnum or a .30-357 of some variant. I'm leaning toward the .30, likely on the .357 case. The 2nd barrel will be in .25 caliber, likely chambered .256 WM or Maximum. My only gripe with it is the short neck. I shoot mostly cast and a longer neck would be an advantage. I need all the advantages I can get. I made a couple dummies on .360 DW brass which yielded a nice long .350 neck with the .256 body. I already have a .256WM reamer. Thought I'd see about making a neck reamer to suit it and lengthen the chamber that way. I haven't measured the capacity yet but a .357 Maximum case with the shoulder and long neck formed (and loaded with) .256 WM dies, looks an awful lot like the .25 Copperhead. I suppose that got off track a bit, but I'm putting some extra effort and money into not fooling with .32-20 brass if I don't need to.

Keep your plow and sword, know how to use both.

Posts: 39 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Based on bullet selection and availability more than anything else, I think the .357 Mag is a better choice for your Cadet than the .32-20. The .357 Mag chamber would also allow you to shoot inexpensive, lower recoiling .38 special cartridges in the rifle.

However, if deer hunting isn't your main objective, I'd suggest a 1:9" twist barrel chambered for .218 Bee. A 1:9" twist barrel, instead of the 1:16".218 Bee standard, will allow you to shoot a broad range of .224" bullets, too many to list. The Cadet is very, very light. You won't find a more pleasant cartridge to shoot in that rifle than the .218 Bee.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would you be interested in 357 Max.?
It will go from 38 special loads to 150gr at 2,200 plus.
I have it in a TC Encore 20 inch barrel. ( I know, It's an ugly rifle!)
Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would you be interested in 357 Max.?

I have one on a contender frame has accounted for a couple dozen deer.

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cool.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote