THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Savage 219 with a mannlicher stock question!!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 219 with a mannlicher stock question!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking at a Savage 219 in 30-30 with a full length mannlicher stock. My question is was this a factory option or was this an after market custom job? It is a very cool looking rifle. Thanks in advance for any input....

Posts: 258 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Google Images has photos of full length stocks on 219s.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12500 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply but I am trying to establish if the full length stock was a factory option or a custom build....

Posts: 258 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive collectedl them over the years, bought and sold many of them..Ive never seen a factory 219 Manlicher, Im 99.9% sure they were not produced in Manlicher fashion by the factory..and they never showed up in any catalog...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw one at the last gunshow I went to.
The seller "claimed" it was factory made, and that savage would make anything you wanted in that era if you called them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Id like to see a photograph of such a rifle..I agree most rifle manufacturers would do about anything you asked up until about the beginning or end of WW1, best I recall..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
True. These days you would have to order some quantity for them to justify tooling up, understandably. Several years ago when S+W did an N frame commemorative (wagon train I think) in 44-40. I thought that would be a neat revolver just plain + called Smith to see if that would be part of their new line. They said no but if I wanted one they would tool up for a production run if I wanted 500. I didn't want one that bad.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never seen one with the Mannlicher stock from the factory.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be pretty easy to make a manlicher stock that followed factory lines that might fool some folks, cheap walnut kinda squarish would look original..but I can't think of anything that uglier than a manlicher stocked single shot of any make!! sofa diggin stir

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120