New
Find
Notify
Tools

merkle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am serious considering a Merkle K1. Anybody have one? Rcoil is a problem. I had parts of my shoulder removed last fall so will not be able to handle too much recoil. Wanted it in 308. Gun only weighs 5.5 pounds. It is chambered in 243, 270,7x57,30-06,308 and bigger.
Please let me know your thoughts if you have one of these rifles and/or thoughts on recoil. I had wanted one I could take and elk with but may have to have it for just deer.
jerry fisk

Posts: 33 | Location: Arkansas USA | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At five and a half pounds a .308 is gonna "pound" you pretty good. If you really can't handle much recoil, the .243 might be your best bet. Even the 7x57, in that weight is gonna have some recoil.(I have a Win 70 Fwt in 7x57, it's NOT without recoil, although not bad.)

[ 08-25-2002, 06:52: Message edited by: Pedestal ]

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fisk:
I am serious considering a Merkle K1. Anybody have one? Rcoil is a problem. I had parts of my shoulder removed last fall so will not be able to handle too much recoil. Wanted it in 308. Gun only weighs 5.5 pounds. It is chambered in 243, 270,7x57,30-06,308 and bigger.
Please let me know your thoughts if you have one of these rifles and/or thoughts on recoil. I had wanted one I could take and elk with but may have to have it for just deer.
jerry fisk

A rimmed cartridges would be better in that rifle, as a usual rimless case will not function properly with the extractor. Have a look at www.merkelwaffen.de (www.merkel-waffen.de ?) - I know they make it in 6,5x57R and 7x57R. Both will do well for most game except bear and other dangerous game. However for deer and moose in the hand of a skilled shooter they are quite good.

Both can be handloaded with dies for the 6,5x57 or 7x57 Mausers with proper shellholder. Use the same date, but don�t go to max loads.

Best regards,

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I would recommend the 6.5X57R if recoil is a problem. I have fired some .308's that were anything BUT pleasant. For example, the M70 Win. Featherweight, which is at least 1.5 - 2 # heavier than the Merkel. [Roll Eyes]