Find
Notify
Tools

Liking the No. 1 in 9,3X74R
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Our own John O allowed me to rehome this sweetheart to New Mexico. I picked it up this morning, and put a few rounds through it this afternoon. I have done very little shooting the past three years, and was quite pleased to fire this three-shot group at 100 yards after one sighter at 25. The handload was Privi Partisan brass, CCI 200, 65 grains H414 and the Privi 285-grain soft point. There is just something really classic about this old cartridge. Thanks John.
fullsizeoutput_14de by ComeWatson, on Flickr

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16275 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Bill!

And as I recall, that was a gorgeous rifle to boot!

Posts: 2574 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks, friend. Years ago that rascal Ken Buch talked me out of a new Shiloh Sharps in .50-70 toward a Chapuis double in this caliber. The thing was gorgeous, but light as it was it beat the hell out of me. I don't claim to be recoil-numb as many here do, so I sold it.
The No. 1 is a very nice chassis for this round, but I will probably order an Accurate gas-checked mold for this rifle, as I am getting old and used up enough that I don't need a lot of velocity, just a solid punch, if y'all know what I mean.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16275 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you will really enjoy that rifle. I have the #1-S in 9.3x62 and really enjoy it. It has made 3 trips to Africa so far. I used the 250 gr. Barnes TTSX and killed everything with one shot except an eland (3 shots). I think the first shot would have killed him but he was headed toward a canyon full of thick brush so I shot until he was down.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing Bill.

Good shooting to make an inch
the first group from a new gun.
You'll enjoy that one.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am envious.

I have wanted a No.1 since I was a boy, and I've always fancied that caliber too!

Posts: 455 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am an unabashed 35 Whelen fan, and this round (9.3x74R) is about as close as one can get, if even a bit better (just like a 9.3x62), but in a rimmed cartridge, which I prefer in a falling block single shot.

I know the Ruger No.1 has a great ejection system to help with non-rimmed cartridges, but being a traditionalist, I still prefer a rimmed round in a single shot. Just my preference, and here I have my '35 Whelen' ballistics in a rimmed cartridge for my No.1s. I bought three of these rifles when they first came out for $750 each. Then Ruger quit making them. Turned out to be a good investment I believe. Smiler

Liking rimmed rounds for my No.1s, I built a battery of them: 22 Hornet, 303 British, 9.3x74R, 450/400NE & 450NE (varmint, small bore, medium bore, large medium bore, & large bore). I think I'm done now... dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, very happy to see you are enjoying your No.1, it was a good shooter for me too. They truly are an elegant firearm.

John

Posts: 184 | Location: Sugar Land, Tx | Registered: 30 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting. Got my 9.3x74R No.1-S tuned up recently with 250gr TTSX at just under 2600 fps muzzle speed. Pretty good down range energies.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have several Ruger No1s but I don't have one chambered for the 9.3X74R and I wish I did have one. I have two double rifles chambered for this round, and I simply love the little stinger, but I would like one chambered in a Ruger no 1.
This chambering is well suited for north American hunting as well a Africa.
Nice shooting Bill, I would bet you don't sell this one! Big Grin However if you do give me a shout, because I would love to own it!

..................… oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mac. Keeping this one for now ... but never say never .. hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill, you're as bad as me. I bought one of the Chapuis 9.3 X 74 dbls on our group buy several years ago but I let it go. That is a great little round though. That would be sweet in a # 1.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nosler has 9.3x74R ammo loaded with 286gr partitions on clearance for $35 a box. A hard price to beat.

Posts: 614 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Great buy. Great shooting. I love #1's.

Posts: 1716 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjfoster:
Nosler has 9.3x74R ammo loaded with 286gr partitions on clearance for $35 a box. A hard price to beat.

I just bought a case of that ammo. Too good of a price to pass up.

I've been playing with my new No.1 .22 Hornet, but next time out, I will see what this Nosler ammo will do in my 9.3x74R.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I tried the Nosler 286 NP ammo a few days ago and it shot a 1" group at 50 yds. with the open sights on my Ruger No.1 9.3x74R. Bought two more cases!

I want to scope it now and see what it'll do at 100 yds. I think it ought to do pretty well. I want to hunt Elk with this rifle/load, after I take my next Elk with my 338-06. Life is good! dancing

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive observed and have had clients that used the 9.3x74 Rimmed Ruger #1 on buffalo in Tanzania, and as far as I could tell it killed about like a 470, they ran 50 to a 100 yards and bellowed, DOA...Woodleigh and Nosler bullets were used in each case btw..both performed perfectly, I like to see a Barnes TSX or a GS Customs HP used, should be perfect..Im kind of a 9.3 fan, mostly the 9.3x62. Love to have a #1 in the 9.3x62 or even a 9.3x64..but my African days are in the past, so Im making do with a .338 1-S and the same in a 250-3000, shooting cow elk and Mule and whitetail deer.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41741 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Keep at it Ray. You are an inspiration to many.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Keep at it Ray. You are an inspiration to many.

+1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, I mounted a Leupold 2.5-8 VX3 on my Ruger No.1 9.3x74R. Shot it today at 100 yds.

I was really excited when the the first two shots were touching with a 1/4" spread. Shot number three opened it up to 15/16", just under an inch for a 3-shot group. Was using Nosler Custom ammo, 286 gr. NP.

I am pretty pumped with this rifle!

One of those 'good days' today we get to enjoy at the range once in a while. Anxious to go back and try again...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like this gun and caliber mesh!! I have a .338 and 250-3000 both for sale btw in classified, and IM allready thinking I need a 9.3x74 #1...Damn the whole point of selling most of my guns is I have too many to maintain, I promised I wouldn't do this..hopefully I can overcome the addiction..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41741 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, Life is too short.

Enjoy the addiction.

It's not like you're spending the money on hookers & whiskey.

Look at it this way. Neither of the two above vices can be left to your grand children when you're gone, but a fine rifle...

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Any updated reports from any of the 9.3x74R no. 1's on AR?

I just picked up a no. 1 in 7x57 and one in 9.3x74R Big Grin

I love how the cartridge looks. Like a supersized 22 hornet

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Any updated reports from any of the 9.3x74R no. 1's on AR?

I just picked up a no. 1 in 7x57 and one in 9.3x74R Big Grin

I love how the cartridge looks. Like a supersized 22 hornet

Well, I was honored and delighted to have bought Bill's rifle he mentioned as the topic of this post. It's absolutely stunningly beautiful. Thanks again Bill!

You're right: it does resemble a supersized Hornet.

I bought one of the recent Lipsey's 250 run of the Ruger No.1 in 22 Hornet. It too is accurate, at least with the Hornady 35gr. V-MAX @3,100/fps. Gorgeous rifle with case coloring action and high grade wood.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post

Not the best photo, but I love the gun! I even think the pad looks good on it.

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You're gonna' have a lot of fun with those two rifles! Nice find.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
quote:

You're gonna' have a lot of fun with those two rifles! Nice find.

Forgot to put a picture of both of them

image post site