Find
Notify
Tools

Baikal single shot
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted

Anyone know if this rifles are takedown?

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Hi -

Can you tell us more about them? Model #, cartridges available for, etc.? (Most important, are they a "break-action", or a "falling block"?)

I'm sure they must be imported into the 'States, but for some odd reason I've never even noticed an ad for them...

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Baikal IJ-18 .308 Win with Tasco 2-7x32 and BR silencer.
Baikal IJ-18 .308

The rifle barrel fits in to IJ-18 12/70 shotgun without modifications.

5 shots from 100 meters
Line spacing is 15mm

Yes, I need to practice. A LOT.. Smiler

#metsastys.net@Quakenet

Posts: 3 | Location: Levi | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
http://www.outdoorsupplies.co.nz/Centerfire.html#baikal

Found this, hope it helps.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Baikal single shot rifles do break down like the shot gun upon which they are based. I had one, it had worst trigger I have ever come across on a rifle. They can be fixed for about nz$30 (I think that's about $20 American).
The barrels are good. I saw other poor design features were the amount of drop on the stock and the fact that it had cast. This lead to my having difficulties getting it to shoot with any consistancy.
Others may find the stock ok, it's design is something to think about when considering buying a Baikal.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the Baikal single shots, but the Baikal combination gun that I bought from CDNN was the 2nd worst POS that I've ever owned. I think that Remington was nuts to start importing that line of junk and have it in their catalog.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The trigger really needed fixing..

BUT
I'm a beginner and baikals were a cheap way to start hunting. I bought (used)IJ-27 12/70 over-and-under shotgun, (used)IJ-18 12/70 single barrel shotgun and (new)IJ-18 single barrel .308 Win with silencer, scope and mount.
All during the same year, total price was 600 €

When I get more experience maybe I'll buy better(?), maybe I won't. Razzer

#metsastys.net@Quakenet

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308winchester:
<br />Anyone know if this rifles are takedown?<br /><br /><br />Johan

It seems to come apart just like a single-barrel shotgun or a H&R, etc. I guess that makes it a "takedown".

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Egsise:
Baikal IJ-18 .308 Win with Tasco 2-7x32 and BR silencer.
Baikal IJ-18 .308

The rifle barrel fits in to IJ-18 12/70 shotgun without modifications.

5 shots from 100 meters
Line spacing is 15mm

Yes, I need to practice. A LOT.. Smiler

I thought picture of my baikal would explain is it a takedown or not. homer

#metsastys.net@Quakenet

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Baikal single-shot that is really quite nice. It started life as a 16 ga. shotgun, and has been converted to .375 Winchester. I used it to take my deer last year, and this year, I made up a new barrel in my own 6.5 mm wildcat, and I'm getting 1" groups at 100 meters, with no fine tuning. BTW, the shotgun trigger is better than the rifle trigger.

Posts: 25 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone else have any comments on the trigger? I was thinking about one in 7.62x54 R but if the triggers are that bad I may build one on a Siamese mauser action instead

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowman,

juwt my opinion...but there are much better things to do with a Siamese Mauser...like a 45-70 or something similar. Are you the same guy on the cast bullet forums I talked to about a 550 mould?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Not me .You must have been talking to someone else

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote