Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got it bad....
 Login/Join

posted
The No. 1 bug...I am eat up with it...I fell into a trade for 3 No. 1's...a .338 Win Mag, .416 Taylor and a .425 Westley Richards. Beautiful rifles...where can I start looking for some No. 1 history, etc?
I'm gonna shoot these bad boys...got hooked up with ammo, brass, bullets and dies for the .338
Still pondering the .416...neck up .338 brass or neck down .458 brass...the .425 I still have'nt found much info on pulling that off..any help is greatly appreciated...how the heck am I gonna build those .425 WR's?? Thanks...larryd

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can look up the serial number on Ruger's website to find the year of manufacture. Might be interesting to find the history of the 416 and 425, I don't think they were ever cataloged chamberings. Might be an aftermarket customization or a Ruger employee may have made it.

The 425 WR brass is probably going to be an expensive venture. I did a quick search and the only place I could find (it was a very quick search) that has 425 WR brass is Quality Cartridge.
425 WR

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Lazza,
As a confirmed 416 Taylor advocate---NECK DOWN the 458. You`ll be a lot happier. I used to just shoot 338 Mag stuff down the tube and then reload the 338 brass. Better accuracy seemed to come from the necked 458.

Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will swap you a #1 in 45/70 and fix your 425 WR problem for you. Otherwise it looks like you can form the brass from .404 Jeffery brass. The WR rim is much smaller than the Jeffery rim. You might think about getting a spare extractor fitted so you can use the .404 brass without turning the rims down. I am not sure the dinky little .425 WR rim will pull a sized case out of a full length sizing die.

Norma makes the 404 brass and Cabela's has it in stock at about $2.00 per case. Big Grin

Norma 404 Jeffery here

Norma 404 Jeffery at Midway Norma 404 at Midway

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey thanks guys...I did find a box of A-Square .416 Taylor rounds, fair price.
RCBS has the dies for both the .416 and the .425 and Midway fixed me up with brass for both...so it's a start.
ireload2...don't know if I want to trade just yet Smiler
Now to figure out my powder choice and some primers...I'll get some pics after the holidays...lazza