THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Very Best Custom Rifle - Westley Richards / Griffin & Howe Farquharson - Leonard Mews

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Very Best Custom Rifle - Westley Richards / Griffin & Howe Farquharson - Leonard Mews
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
Very Best Custom Rifle - Westley Richards Farquharson / Griffin & Howe / Leonard Mews

I'm so happy with this latest addition, that I repeated the post here - originally posted in the Custom Rifle section.

Its my pleasure to present this recently acquired rifle - This is the very best custom rifle in my collection.

220 SWIFT - WESTLEY RICHARDS FARQUHARSON / GRIFFIN & HOWE / LEONARD MEWS CUSTOM SINGLE SHOT

I've been collecting custom rifles made by Leonard Mews for OVER 40 years and have several in my collection.

Leonard was a personal friend and a member of our local gun club.

I believe he is one of the very best stock-makers - EVER !

For those unfamiliar with Leonard, early in his career he worked for Roy Weatherby. Later he worked on his own, and turned out dozens of Masterpieces. His works were shown in many of the Gun Digest's "Custom Guns" section, from the 1960s - 1980s.

Here's a short introduction to Leonard Mews, - before I show-off my latest treasure.

And here's my treasure.

"Best Quality" Engraved Westley Richards Farquharson New Model 1897 / Griffin & Howe, built by Leonard Mews.

220 Swift caliber
9 pounds 12 ounces with scope
25-1/2" Medium/Heavy weight barrel w/ accent Engraving
13-3/8" LOP
Presentation California Claro Black Walnut Stock
Shadow Outlined Cheek Piece
Round Rosewood Forend Tip
Signature Scalloped Rosewood Grip Cap with Raised Ivory Diamond inlay
Skip-Line "Rocket" pattern grip checkering
Skip-Line "Lightning" pattern Forearm checkering
Skip-Line "Shield" pattern Cheeks
Koshollek Checkered Steel Widow's Peak curved Butt Plate
Unertl 12x 1-1/2 Target Scope

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2100 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am envious!

Beautiful rifle.

Posts: 458 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Connan:
I am envious!

Beautiful rifle.

Hello Peter Connan,
Thanks for the reply.

Its been a week, and I'm still smiling!

Research has found that the rifle was being built during 1953 for Dr. Russel C. Smith. It is not known when the rifle was finaly completed.

Posts: 2100 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I inherited some gun smithing tools and wood from a Custom Stockmaker from southern California who knew Leonard from his time at Weatherby's. One of the tool's was a power checkering set that he bought from Leonard when he was just getting started. Those checkering tools in good working order have become scarce because the company that made and serviced them went out of business, well I traded those tools to a fellow that had his checkering tool wear out just before he was to start doing the checkering for Weatherby's 75th anniversary 257 Mark V rifles. That tool started doing Weatherby's back in the day in California went thru Wyoming down to Mississippi back thru Wyoming for the 75th in Sheridan. Plus I am origanally from Wisconsin. The custon gun world really isn't that big, but it is ful of good people!

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 307RIFLE:
" ... I inherited some gun smithing tools and wood from a Custom Stockmaker from southern California who knew Leonard from his time at Weatherby's. One of the tool's was a power checkering set that he bought from Leonard when he was just getting started. ...... I am origanally from Wisconsin. The custon gun world really isn't that big, but it is ful of good people! ..."

Hello 307RIFLE.
Thanks for the reply.

That's interesting ... Leonard once told me that he tried a power checkering tool at Roy's insistence. Roy wanted him to turn out faster work. Leonard said he didn't like the tool or use it, because it was difficult to control and didn't do as good a job as hand tools for fine detail work. I assume that's why Leonard sold your friend the tool.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous! Very interesting way to do the back side of the cheekpiece.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Gorgeous! Very interesting way to do the back side of the cheekpiece.
Hello Fjold,
Thanks for the reply.

Leonard used that "shadow outline" around the cheekpiece on most of his custom rifles