New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Custom Ruger #1 450-400
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This one has been in the works for the past year or so. It was just completed with the help[ of Michael (MDStewart) here on AR, and his band of gunsmiths. I started out with a NIB 450-400, then added a custom reshaped stock, Ebony forend tip, inlet swivel stud, steel grip cap, and a red recoil pad. Parts were supplied by NECG. The wood is better than it appears in the photos...I'll try to get some more in the right light.

online image upload link

Posts: 20074 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very nice! How does it shoot?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles, I've never shot it. I bought the rifle NIB and sent it off for the custom work.

Posts: 20074 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,

Very nice looking rifle, in a super caliber!

The wood is gorgeous, and I am anxious to see your ‘improved’ photos.

I particularly like the checkering of the forearm. It is unique, to me at least, and seems to ‘fit’ the design of the rifle’s forend. Artistically envisioned.

Posts: 2579 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jon, great choice of platform and cartridge. I am sure that stock will help with the recoil.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The wood looks plenty good to me.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:

Dave

I agree; wood looks fantastic.

Biebs, having bought guns off you before, you know I like you, but I really dislike forend tips that are angled like that. Rounded is much better. But to each his own; I know a lot of smiths do that. Hey, I like Schnabel tips and some guys can't stand them.

But then, I am not a Blaser fan either...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
I really like the British style forend tip! It would be even better with a pancake cheek piece! Certainly a beautiful rifle.

quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:

Dave

I agree; wood looks fantastic.

Biebs, having bought guns off you before, you know I like you, but I really dislike forend tips that are angled like that. Rounded is much better. But to each his own; I know a lot of smiths do that. Hey, I like Schnabel tips and some guys can't stand them.

But then, I am not a Blaser fan either...

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Seriously NICE looking rifle!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seriously NICE looking rifle!!!

Kind of looks like a Blaser, doesn't it? :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send it to me and I will change that ugly-ass forend tip with that piece of Ebony of yours.
dancing

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it will be for sale by next week Big Grin even suggesting that it resembles a blaser could get you hung old

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!!!

Posts: 2316 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
it will be for sale by next week

Yes, I have my eye on the latest gem from the Mossberg Custom Shop! :-)

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
No.1s do make a nice custom, that’s for sure.
The 450/400 is a good choice too as it is already in a different class. It has class I should say.
I have a similar custom and don’t think I will be selling any time soon.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've always loved the #1, but being a wood lover, I can't stomach their factory wood.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice job, except...

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Yes, I've always loved the #1, but being a wood lover, I can't stomach their factory wood.

You can't stomach No. 1 factory wood but you somehow give Blasers a pass?

shocker

Oi Vey!!!

faint

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thought about going down to check my safe, I have an 1885 with a wood grain pattern almost identical to that. Nice. I just sold my 450-400 last spring. It was a lot of fun.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am looking to receive a #1 (243win) a smith has been working on for me some quite some time.
They are a marvelous platform to begin with.
cannot wait for mine. Dark mineral english, some case color hardening, and some machine turning on the block.
Hard to go wrong on a custom #1.
Biebs: Beautiful piece

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Awesome rifle! You had better send it to me before your Blasers get jealous! Eeker

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Long gone, Rusty :-)

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous rifle, the Blaser can't compare!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote