THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Pleasant outing with an old friend

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pleasant outing with an old friend
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Recently came upon a rifle model I owned 15-20 years ago -- the H&R 1871 Target Classic single-shot in .38-55. I put just a handful of rounds through it yesterday -- one with a 275-grain .380 cast bullet from Buffalo Arms over 40 grains of FFg Old Eynesford and 10 with the same bullet over 23 grains of H4895 in Starline 2.125 brass. First shot was with the FFg load, then five more smokeless right above it. Adjusted sights and moved the last 5-shot group closer to the bull. This was at 50 yards from a cheap rest. The Lyman globe front had a very coarse insert in it; I will try again with a much finer insert from Lee Shaver. Recoil with the BP load was more than with the H-4895, but every shot was incredibly pleasant. Really love the old .38-55 and it was great to shoot this classic cartridge again.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Yep, the .38-55 is a great little round. I just picked up 100 rounds of new .38-55 brass yesterday in anticipation of buying one. Now I just have to find a gun. The H&R is underrated; my daughter started shooting BPCR matches with one when she was 13. I inletted a steel block into the wrist and mounted a tang sight on it for her.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sure is where my head is the last few years. Old time cartridges in a single shot.
I think that the 38-55 or 375 win will be the next barrel for my H&R. Perfect for youngster, say age 12 to 15. There are some great bullets now too. Thanks for the post, brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I checked my notes. It's actually the .356 Winchester that I am thinking about for my grandkids in the single shot, not the 375.
The 375 is a a great cartridge but for the youngsters I am planning on 356 Win. with 160 gr CEB Raptors for serious work.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I have a 376 Steyr bolt gun. I wonder what a 38-55 / 375 Winchester would shoot like? Be Well, Packy.

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
+1 on the 38-55 and color me envious for that 1871 H&R; I've been looking for one in that caliber for a while and always seem to be a step behind.

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I bought a Remington 1902 RB about 25 years ago to build a 38-55 on. I never could get myself to tear it apart since it was intact, functioning and shot quite well with the 7x57 ammo I shot through it.

Since I haven't done anything at all with it in nearly 25 years, I just listed it on GunBroker a couple days ago and now I'm second guessing myself.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian Canada and others: Could you please tell me who makes barrels for the H&R. I have the Handi Rifle that came with .270 Win. and 20 ga. barrels and would be interested in a .375 Win. barrel. I have lots of brass and can't see why it would not shoot cast bullets just as well as a .38-55. Thanks.