New
Find
Notify
Tools

K-95
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Turns out I am not really into doubles rifles but after getting a ruger number 1, I really like single shots.

I am thinking about a k-95 as a deer hog and maybe African plains game rifle.

Any recommendations ?

I was told by a very wise gun expert (Biebs) the 30/06 would kick a lot given the rifle weight.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Mike - check out Searcy stalking rifles. I sent you an e-mail with photos of my 9.3x74R

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the 06, it's a bit snappy with 200 and 220 gr bullets. I only really notice it off the bench working up loads, or shooting from awkward positions. I also have the stutzen in 7x57. Fits in a 22 1/4" x 11" case with scope and sling. On domestic flights I travel with it in my suitcase.

Posts: 1049 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eny, the K-95 Stutzen is the cat's Meow....love them!

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Eny, the K-95 Stutzen is the cat's Meow....love them!
Love mine, should use it more. sometimes wish it was in a larger caliber though. Case and my stove fit inside cooler that goes on one side of a mule when we go to the mountains. I would like to find a lite soft case for it when broke down to attach to my pack when lugging game out of the wilderness, any thoughts anybody?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think that a soft case for any break-down double rifle would work.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would think that a soft case for any break-down double rifle would work.
I have one of those, and it works, heavy canvas, padded and fits 24 inch barrels. Have been poking around for something a bit shorter and lighter. Saw one once here on AR, but lost track of it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't jive with the euro hogback stock.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one and like it very much. Very accurate but only wants the bullet it wants and being a hand loader that’s not a problem.

One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
I have the K-95 Stutzen prototype in 6.5x55. It has the straight stock of the standard rifle. Possibly the finest rifle I have ever owned, and it shoots sub .5moa with any good load.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 839 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, a Luxus Stutzen; it is truly a very fine rifle.

A Blaser rep related that @ 80% of the K-95's are made in .308 Winchester, and that seems to make a lot of sense to me as that delivers just about he right amount of whoomp on both the receiving and delivering ends, mine is a 7x57R.

As mentioned above they are light rifles; therefore for the uninitiated; can be difficult to control on the bags but in the field I don't notice anything except what a delight this petite, light rifle is to carry.

Like Dave above, most of the groups I shoot to verify zero are one ragged hole, which transforms into a real confidence builder at the moment of truth.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have a 30-06, with barrels in 222 and 243.

The 243 kicks about like a 308 in a regular bolt action rifle. The 30-06 is kind of like a 300 Win or 338 Win in a 700.

It weighs 5 pounds, maybe 6 with a 1 inch 3-9 Kahles.

My K95 is stateside, and I am looking for its twin over here in Germany. Lots of choices.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
If you can find a K95 in 7X57 at a good price you would be happy. My Deluxe Stutzen loved 175 grain Nosler Partitions. Recoil was mild.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in 300 Weatherby and it is lively from the bench. Never notice in the field.

I also have .22 hornet and 6.5x55 barrels, too. Great system.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob, didn't I loan you that rifle? It's about time for it to come home :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Turns out I am not really into doubles rifles but after getting a ruger number 1, I really like single shots.

Any recommendations ?

I was told by a very wise gun expert (Biebs) the 30/06 would kick a lot given the rifle weight.

Mike

Goes okay to me.

K95 Stutzen in 30-06 with 220gr Woodleighs

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mchughcb:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

Any recommendations ?

Mike

Goes okay to me.

K95 Stutzen in 30-06 with 220gr Woodleighs

Nice video, shooting and rifle.

Now I really want one.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Merkel K1 in 7mm RM here and my wife has a lovely K3 Stutzen full stock in 7x57r.

They are truly amazing rifles and I have no doubt the Blaser is held in the same fondness.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2309 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice piece, McHugh!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have .22 Hornet, 6.5x55, and 300 Weatherby barrels for my K95. Here's the 300 Weatherby grouping, 4 shots at 100 yards with a 6x scope.

K95 300 Way 150 Raptor

I don't see the 30-06 being a problem in the platform.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob, damn! You pulled one! :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Merkel k1, 9.3 x 74R, 286 gr Nosler Partitions.

Blaser k95 half stock, 30-06 Springfield, 180 gr. Cor-Lokts

The Merkel k1 in 300 Win Mag was a bit much.

The K1 in 9.3 x 74R and the k95, chambered for the 30-06 Springfield are pussycats.......

as is the Merkel k3 Jagd Stutzen in 308 Win!

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Show-off! :-)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Blaser K95 Stutzen in 308. It was one of the most accurate hunting rifles I have ever shot.
From 150 to 180 gr bullets it NEVER shot a 3 shot group at 100 yards over one MOA.
I killed deer, wild pig, turkey, and a big black bear with it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous...I want a k95 Stutzen in the worst way.

You guys are killing' me

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

and another one bites the dust!

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bob, damn! You pulled one! :-)

Must have been the earthquake.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned a lot of rifles. The K95 is my favorite so far. I have a straight stocked one with 270 and 22 hornet barrels and a stutzen in 30-06. The recoil is definitely more noticeable than in a heavier rifle. Physics. Because of that I've found it to be a little harder to shoot tiny groups off the bench compared to my R8. The gun will do it; it just takes more practice. I think you'd be fine with a 30-06.

Posts: 147 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 December 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Love mine. Have two of them now. Had 3 but two was enough. Have 5.6x50R, 6.5X57R, 270WB, 7RM, 308 and 300WM barrels.

Anyone know if the barrels can be refinished? My 6.5x57R barrel the finish is flacking or falling off quite badly.

Between the 6.5 and 300WM barrels they have now killed well over a 100 head of game from White-tail on up.

Wife shot the 300WM for her first Africa trip this year and it performed flawlessly as always. I only load it to warm/hottish 06' velocities though.

Mac

Posts: 1720 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac, Blaser barrel are nitrided, but I imagine any metalsmith could polish it down and Ceracote it. The finish is flaking? I've never seen that.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mac, Blaser barrel are nitrided, but I imagine any metalsmith could polish it down and Ceracote it. The finish is flaking? I've never seen that.

Ya, I'll try and take a pic. Only one I have had do that.

Mac

Posts: 1720 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet it's not a factory finish.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Here it comes. It looks just like all my other barrels. I did buy it brand new from Euro.

Mac

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post

From the deer blind in Okie yesterday.

Mac

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting....I've never seen that. I know someone who could refinish it.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting....I've never seen that. I know someone who could refinish it.

What would they refinish it with? I’m not sure it bothers me that much. It’s one of my heavier used rifles.

Mac

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably Ceracote...don't know anyone but the factory who would Nitride it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redoing a nitride process isn't likely to work. The results wouldn't be very satisfactory from an aesthetic standpoint, either.

I'd send that barrel to Andrej and see what he thinks. You might get a new one.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
who is Andrej?

Mac

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He's the gunsmith at Blaser USA in San Antonio. Great guy.