THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Remington Rolling Block 7mm questions

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Rolling Block 7mm questions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Besides the hand loading only because of the long chambers are there any other reasons not to own a 1902 Rem Rolling Block chambered in the old 7mm Mauser?

What's the pressure limit for this gun?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Of all the ones I owned, I only shot one; busted the others down for the actions. I fired standard military ball out of it, and for sure, headspace is huge compared to standard specs. Primers tend to back out, a lot! I would limit them to 40K psi, special fire formed, long brass, loads.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Of all the ones I owned, I only shot one; busted the others down for the actions. I fired standard military ball out of it, and for sure, headspace is huge compared to standard specs. Primers tend to back out, a lot! I would limit them to 40K psi, special fire formed, long brass, loads.

Thanks, is it just because of the excessive headspace or should the action be limited to 40K psi for everything?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTDT. The original chambering made reloading "modern/standard" brass a PITA. I had it rebarreled, it's now a 38-55.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I became very circumspect about the Model 1902 after examining the remenants of one in an Oregon gun shop. The rifle appeared to be in pristine condition, and the shooter -- until then a real rolling block enthusiast -- was allegedly firing older surplus military ammunition without incident when the action opened up on him like a flower and he lost an eye and nearly his life.
I currently have two, a Swede in the original 12.7 X 44, and another Swede that was re-arsenaled in the 1890s for the 8X58 smokeless round and rebarreled to .50-70. My own thought is to regard them as in the same class as Trapdoor Springfields.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
And I should have said, Do Not fire standard 7mm ammo in one. Do as I say, not as I do situation.
Yes, making that brass is a pain; so making it a 38-55 is a better alternative anyway.
I limit the pressures because they are very old.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Amending to say I have a third -- a Danish rolling block in essentially .45-70, thanks to dpcd! Haven't shot it yet, but soon -- with black powder loads.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I guess I'll pass on buying one.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Amending to say I have a third -- a Danish rolling block in essentially .45-70, thanks to dpcd! Haven't shot it yet, but soon -- with black powder loads.

You'll have a good time, mine is still orig 11.7x56R. Also have a Swede convert still in 8x58R. Rolling blocks are fun.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote