Nice. Who made the rib ?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my son who used to be a machinist

Posts: 121 | Location: canada | Registered: 26 January 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great idea. Especially for the 'big bore' on some of these 7 lb. rifles!

Posts: 2577 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
I have my .375H&H and .458 Win set up like that. Had to do something after the scope kissed my eyebrow. Lucky it did not break my eyeglasses.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Looks good. Nikon scope with constant 6" eye relief on my .45-70 No.1. Not to get scoped at higher magnifications.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I find that scout concept on the # 1 fascinating as I for one designed it + sent the shop drawings to Ruger's S+D dept several years ago along with my "poor man's patent" which I still have in the safe post-dated + unopened. Oh well, anyone that comes up with an idea has others that might think the same. My idea + shop drawings were sent to Ruger. It is a great concept + also applies to the 375,416, + 458.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive never seen any pluses to the scout concept! I would think a 2,3, or even the 1X Weaver in standard scope posture offers more pluses..All my #1 are standard in Ruger rings, and never a problem...and Im a fan of the receiver or peep sight as well in the bigger bores. Just a different poin of view. so what say you admirers of the Scout concept, tell me about it..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
I like receiver sights and have them on quite a few rifles. My Ruger #1 tropicals have the Leupold scout scopes, 2.5x . The advantage for me is with the recoil I do not worry about the scope cutting me, and the magnification is low enough I can shoot it with both eyes open, very fast, faster than peep sights.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mount scout scopes in standardNo 1 mounts and they do fine. scoot them as far forward as possible.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can imagine that the clear loading option on a DG rifle is of benifit in a tight situation, so that might be a plus?? I just have never used one and the idea never appealed to me, maybe I should give it a try before I bark!! tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkingrph:
I like receiver sights and have them on quite a few rifles. My Ruger #1 tropicals have the Leupold scout scopes, 2.5x . The advantage for me is with the recoil I do not worry about the scope cutting me, and the magnification is low enough I can shoot it with both eyes open, very fast, faster than peep sights.

I am curious about this approach. When you do this set up, is the eye relief about right for a scout scope? I’d like to see a picture if you have one. If you’re unable to post it, please send it to me and I will do so. Thanks

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote