New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 1 Boddington 300 H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It looks like I've acquired a 300H&H Boddington Series Ruger 1. Does anyone have any particular loads that have shot well in their guns?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
MTSmith

Picture of STS45
posted Hide Post
Did you get the one from 24hourcampfire with the scratch? I was hoping to get that one!

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%^ up." Colonel Hopewell.

Posts: 13 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: 23 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I sure did. I didn't see it listed in the public classified forum. The owner PM'd me and we struck up a deal.
Looks like a really nice one and the seller seems like a pretty good guy.
MTSmith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My #1 in 300 H&H is a #1S with the 26 inch barrel but here is my best load. 200gr Nosler Accubond, Winchester case, CCI 250 primer, 67gr RL-22. That gets me 2700 fps and the groups at 100 yards are 1 1/4" which is about as good as my old eyes can do. (The extreme spread on the velocity with that load is only 6 fps.) Deer and hogs each give the load 4 votes; they flop down and stick 4 feet up in the air.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
That is one fine rifle you have acquired. Mine is a real tack driver - the two loads below both shoot sub MOA in my Ruger Boddington 300 H&H:

180gr Barnes X triple shock
68.0 gr IMR 4831
Fed 215

180gr Barnes X triple shock
71.0 gr RL 22
Fed 215

Good luck with your new rifle - let us know how you make out with it.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My loads are basically the same as Subsailor and they shot great out of the #1 S I owned a couple years ago. Every animal I shot with those 180 TTSX were one shot kills. Congrats and good luck with yours.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My go to load for years in a strong modern action is the WW, Horn, Norma, NOsler brass, Fed 215 primer and 69 grs of RL-22 and a 200 gr. Nosler partition at 2962 FPS 10 shot average with high and low rounds taken out.....

Its a max load and only mentioned in a couple of books, but you have one of the strongest actions out there. I've shot it in my pre 64 mod 70 and my Rem 721, both with 26" barrels, without any problems.

The load has been incredibly accurate in every 300 H&H Ive tried them in. It,s been my go to elk and deer load since RL-22 came out, and that's been a while.

But ALWAYS, start low at 66 grs. and work up half grain at a time to your rifles max, if your skilled at reloading otherwise I would just shoot 67 grs. and call it good..

If I was going to shoot a 200 gr. Nosler at 2700 FPS, I would opt for a 30-06 at very near or at that velocity.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ray. I will work my way toward that load and see what my gun likes. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my No.1-S 300 H&H ..........70.0 grains of Reloader #22 - 168 grain Barnes TTSX - Federal 215 primer - Rem brass - Consistant sub MOA . So far one shot each on two Colorado elk, one Colorado black bear and a couple of Texas white tails .

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be perfectly happy to use mine as my only non dangerous game rifle for what is left of my hunting time.

I find it aesthetically very pleasing. It is made of wood and metal as a rifle should be. It is far more accurate than I will ever be shooting from hunting positions.

The only change I would make about this rifle would be to get another just like it in case this one was stolen or dropped into a river.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote