Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger No. 3 30-40
 Login/Join

posted
Could one of you folks tell me if I can put No 1 wood on this rifle. Much fitting required or a simple exchange? I do not have a No.1 to compare. Thanks for any help you can provide.

TED

Posts: 29 | Location: FLORIDA | Registered: 10 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the buttstock will bolt right on butt some thinks it looks funny with the number three lever. the forend will also bolt on although the barrel channel may need to be altered for fit.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Max...I will re-bend the lever as I have done on some martini cadets I have

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
We had one like this in 30-40 Krag, someone had restocked it with a monte carlo butstock and made it into a stutzen rifle with a mannlicher forend.

The rifle lever was cut and rewelded to resemble a Ruger #1s but it was more petite.

Was a wonderful little gun, but ended up being trading fodder for soemthing else more deserable at the time.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
BWW...I will try to alter the forend to more resemble a an enghish style stalker and slim down the butt also. Good luck getting back to the Rockies, spent five months there two summers ago just camping and fishing. Came out about once a month to re-supply. Thought I had died and gone to heaven.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I could really use a month or two fishing and prospecting. Someday I hope.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is what I did with my #3 in cal 375Win. This rifle has a VaryXIII 1.5-5 Leupold scope and custom fitted Weaver bases and Burris rings. A great shooter with both factory 200gr and 225gr handloads. I am trying to sell this rifle in Canada.
http://img.photobucket.com/alb.../Zermel/PICT0121.jpg

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Fred...Terrific job with the lever, reminiscent of Frank De Hass. I believe I will try something similar, I also use that same scope, hard to beat ...TED

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I always thought it would be fun to have one of these and get it rechambered to 300 H&H Flanged

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
I always thought it would be fun to have one of these and get it rechambered to 300 H&H Flanged

Grenadier.
My rifle is very light even with the decellerator recoil pad the 375Win 225gr is all I can stand. A 300H&H would send you on your butt. Me thinks.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have seen these called #2's on the Ruger forum. Frankly, with the limited production of the #3. I'd leave it alone. They sell for a pretty good dollar if in good condition and unmolested. The 30-40 and 44 magnum are not seen often.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wait, TED, you have multiple Martinis and you haven't shared photos of same?
FOR SHAME!

Wink

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZERMEL:
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:

Grenadier.
My rifle is very light even with the decellerator recoil pad the 375Win 225gr is all I can stand. A 300H&H would send you on your butt. Me thinks.
The .300 H&H Flanged (.30 'Super' Flanged) is a little milder than the .300H&H belted. Factory velocity for a 180gr load in the Flanged is 2575fps, and 2250fps for the 220gr load. Recoil would likely be no more, perhaps less, than shooting the same rifle in 375 Win.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Grenadier...I also have a #3, now that can get your attention!

Bill...I do in fact love cadets but youngest daughter is away for the summer with her camera or I would try posting a picture. I'll take a shot at it when she gets back. You a martini fan? Either kind.

TED

posted Hide Post
that is a #3 in 45-70.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have three No 3s with No 1 wood. The stock is a perfect fit but the lever is a little tight against the pistol grip. The lever needs bent like a Highwall but I haven't had that done. The Henry fore end fits the barrel contour except for a tiny gap near the breech. It isn't seriously noticeable nor objectionable. I have a 30-40, a 22 Hornet and a .375 Win. One thing you'll need to do it to add a front sling swivel loop. I used the clamp-on kind from Uncle Mikes. A solid one like a Talley would be nice but you can't get them over the front sight. You could have one soldered to the barrel also. But this way the rifle is not altered. I kept the original wood and all of them can be returned to factory configuration if desired.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2140 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the mid 1970's a friend of mine had a 30/40 Krag Ruger No3.

He loaded 39.5gr of IMR 3031, with the Sierra 165gr HPBT, now calleda a Gameking.

[This is the exact same load we used in the 308].

His rifle shot well under an inch with this load.

We cut a piece of foam to fit the rear buttstock countour to make it straight, and then put on one of those slip on rubber recoil pads. The rifle handled much better, and was a pleasure to shoot.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote