THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Chippawa Little sharps in 22 HOrnet

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chippawa Little sharps in 22 HOrnet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just ordered a Chippawa Little sharps, It looks great in the pictures and I saw one at Safari Club. and it felt good, and was nice..Mine will be in 22 HOrnet caliber..

Anybody have any experience with one of these.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41733 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got it yesterday, its the cutest damn gun Ive ever seen, it tiny, shoots great with the flip up tang peep..Id love to have one in 25-35, may inquire about that as they come in a number of calibers like 30-30, 3855, and others...The hornet I have is quite accurate and deadly on one rock chuck so far.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41733 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Sounds great!
I have a mini Sharps in 38WCF
I hope to get to experimenting with heavy paper patch bullets some time.
Sort of a mini Buffalo rifle.
I should have one in the Hornet though. Makes so much sense.

Posts: 3231 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
I've wondered about these as well. Glad to hear some reports from owners. Any idea who manufactures these?

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Little Sharps Rifle, Chiappa Firearms
Elk COUNTY AMMO AND ARMS
246 BRUSSELLES ST
ST. MARYS PA, 15857

Also try Buffalo Arms Co/
WWW/BUFFALOARMS.COM
660 Vermeer Court
Ponderay, Idaho, 83852

Buffalo arms has pages of old new rifles, including sharps, Win, and other single shot and lever guns, plus all manor of old new ammo. An amazing outfit..

I bought my Little Sharps 22 HOrnet from Elko County for $1099.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
As much as I love this little gun it has some problems and Im not getting very good replies from Elk Co. ammo and arms...To be continued...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some times first impressions get one into trouble.

I contacted ELK CO AMMO AND ARMS, inquiring that the brochure had no info on scope bases, and I need to know who makes the bases etc..I got a snide reply that bases do not come with guns! I then brought to their attention that the spring on the hammer was weak and left a very light impression on the primer! also I had to push very hard to seat the bullets in the chamber and had trouble closing the lever..I felt that I could fix the problem but felt they should replace the rifle or fix it...They told me they were not responsible for replacement as they don't make rifles they just sell them, and told me to send the rifle back to the maker, in Italy!! and quit "whining about it! Ooops I went south on that, My reply was"Kiss off asshole, your just a two bit bull shit artist" Send a gun to Italy, no way, Mussalina kid probably owns ELK Co AMMO and ARMS

I can fix the problems and will, then I find the D&T spacing is 12 frigging inches, I suppose for one of those old Lyman or copper sharps scopes..this means a D&T on the barrel to mount my Leupold Alaskan 6X, maybe two D&T but hopefully just one..

In all my years I have never delt with a guy like that, hope I never meet him in person, it will be katy bar the door! hammering jumping

Beware of ELK CO AMMO and ARMS..and if you want an old rifle in neat old calibers go with Buffalo Arms in Idaho, good people and bend over backwards..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't sound like I will be doing any business with them.

Posts: 19299 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up on a bad company.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks but what are friends for, would hate to see anyone deal with bad businessmen..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray you might try contacting this people.

USA | Distribution
Chiappa Firearms USA, Ltd.
1415 Stanley Avenue
Dayton, OH 45404

Tel: +1.937.835.5000
Fax: +1.888.705.4570

Call Center Hours
Mon-Fri 9AM-4PM (EST)

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray you might also try Taylor’s & Company. They handle the Chiappa firearms. I have ordered accessories for their 1892’s from them.

Taylor’s & Company

Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00 EST

Phone Number: 540-722-2017

Fax Number: 540-722-2018

Mailing & Shipping Address:

304 Lenoir Drive
Winchester, VA 22603

quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Thanks but what are friends for, would hate to see anyone deal with bad businessmen..

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Im just going to repair it myself and go shoot it...I can tap the sight ladder and install a Peep from a Lyman with a lock nut, I have a draw full of those..Drill and tap if needed for a 6X Leupold Alaskan, my gun smith will make/modify a set of bases for not much..the feed to the chamber will only require about one twist of a hand reamer if that. Not sure about the indention on the primer, but it shoots so ..Thanks for the information as to who the dealers are, but I can't expect them to correct another outfits lack of customer service..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Is it possible that the new action is so tight/has a point/area of drag such that it slows the hammer fall giving you light primer strikes?

Someone brought one of those in 38-55 to the range.
Pretty lil gun I must say.
He said it shot OK with jacketed bullets, but with 0.378 cast projies it was not accurate/precise enough to sight it in. I am guessing like so many the barrel ID on those guns is a bit liberal and needs at least 0.380" - 0.381" cast projies.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend had one sold by Lyman and was shooting .375 diameter bullets and it shot like S+^t ! I suggested larger bullets and he tried larger diameter lead bullets (size unknown) and it shot GREAT with them.

Hip

Posts: 1786 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The indention on the fired case isn't the usual dot type hole its a "0" ring, and its working, but came as a surprise to me as Ive never encounterd such a primer mark..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Doesn't sound like I will be doing any business with them.

1st place losers.

Posts: 682 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't do business with them again, but all my problems are fixable, but customer service is all but criminal,,I now know why they hung Musalini upside down and beat him to death!!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I finally got a 3/4" 2X intermediate extension Redfield to work on the gun with #61 WEaver base, and my smith is making a set of custom rings and bases..Im still looking for a tang sight that will work..Lyman LYM3902111 was made for the Chiappa mini sharps but discontinued!! so the search is on/

Why do I keep it?? the little bastard shoots 5 shots at 75 yards that I covered with a dime!!!with the tang sight that won't hold its zero from time to time..

Its been a night mare, but its finally comming around and will be a great little gun..However I would never recommend them to anyone..It actually belongs to a good friend of mine and he will enjoy it once its done..

I now know why they hung Mussolini unside down and beat him to death!! tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own one Uberti/colt 1860 (made 1982)and one Sabatti bock shotgun (2008?) they have reasonably good quality for their performance and price level. The quality of the Uberti percussion revolvers were good enough for Colt to sell under their own name. My shotgun were half the price as a Beretta its a great gun in what price range. In sweden a sabatti rifle/Husqvarna 1900 costs 1100$ for a complete sabatti rifle(Husqvarna 1900 action).VO vapen sell what Sabatti 1900 action with a nicer barrel and stock, engraved to the middle east for 20-40000$.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote