New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gibbs 6.5x57R
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I talked a little about this in another post so thought I would put up a few pics. Rechambered at some point to 6.5x57R. Has been great for pigs and blacktails. JB

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is just beautiful!
Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 372 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can not quite make out the patent use number from the photos. Interesting action with some early sporter features, the two piece trigger plate, horn grip cap and the shape of the action at the junction of the ring and the flat sides. It also has some features of the later sporters, the safety and the lever shape come to mind.

Looks re-barreled from the barrel hardware, that or who ever did the re-chamber also re-sighted the gun. I have never seen a Gibbs rear sight cut in to the barrel before but it certainly could have been done after the fact.

Steel buttplate? hard to tell from the pic.

Over all I would say that is one really cool hunting rifle. Gibbs is my favorite maker of British falling blocks. I can certainly see why you like hunting that one.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like it, a lot.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Cool rifle!

Weird that it is so very German for a Gibbs, with those mounts and caliber.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the kind comments. It is patent use 323 so a pretty early action. Absolutely a re-barrel job at some time. The forend is a replacement and the butt is still the original wood which is nicely checkered I might add. JB

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
And in the perfect 6.5X57R too!

Too bad it is missing the hammer that all single shot rifles must have

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I gotta quit comin' here ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a lot else to do..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's about as close to perfection as you can get in a hammerless single shot. Sheer understated elegance!! Thanks for sharing.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tdoyka
posted Hide Post
very nice!!!!!!!!

“All that was great in the past was ridiculed, condemned, combated, suppressed — only to emerge all the more powerfully, all the more triumphantly from the struggle.”
― Nikola Tesla

Posts: 99 | Location: United States windber, pa | Registered: 16 September 2013Reply With Quote