New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Favorite 22 Mag
 Login/Join

<Paleohunter>
posted
Just bought a Savage Favorite in 22 Mag as a ply gun and a gun to start my children on. 1st it is a pretty good tack driver no complaint there. 2nd fit and finnish is so so but I was not expecting much for 221.00$. Now here is the Bitch after you fire it and drop the breech there is not enough room between the breech and the hammer to extract the spent cartrige without pulling back the hammer about an 8th of an inch, you can with brute force flick the spent shell out; but my grils cant do it and the other way is real akward for them.
I love single shots I have a Shilo Sharps in 45-90 its my baby, my hunting rifle is a Ruger#1 in 270, and now the Savage. Well I just had to rant alittle. I would havve thought that Savage would have thought this out alittle more before putting this neat little rifle into production. Oh well.

<Rawhider>
posted
I like single shots also,am curious as to what kind of accuracy you get with the little savage 22 mag and what kind of sights -thanks- Rawhider

<Paleohunter>
posted
Rawhider the accurey is pretty darn good at 100yd on a bench with open sights I was keeping the shots within a 4.5" circle with only a couple of flyers. If one could mount a scope or that little reciver I sure that group would become smaller. Still in all its a FUN gun and thats what I bought it for. ( and to thin out the tree rat # at my Lease.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the .22LR model, and find if I lower the lever "smartly", it will extract the spent case enough for me to flick it out with my fingernail.
Pete

[ 08-21-2002, 01:21: Message edited by: PJ ]

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I have one of these in .22 LR that I fitted with a Lyman 17 globe front and a Marbles tang peep rear. It has proven to be a great beginner's gun, as the sights are so easy to use. But my daughter has a hard time cocking the hammer, and the trigger needs work, so it isn't really that user-friendly to neophytes. Still, I am introducing kids and friends to shooting with a traditional single-shot from the late 1800s. Cool, sez I.

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Paleohunter>
posted
Has anyone tried to have the hammer and trigger worked on?? Do you think it would be worth it?? My daughters have trouble with the hammer to as well as extracting a spent shell. Where did you find those sights at; I want some. Do they tighten the sight pic much??

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
The Marbles tang sight you need is for the Winchester/Browning M71. The globe is the Lyman 17AUG with .584" height (bottom of dovetail to center of globe). When using the Marbles tang you will need to drill and tap the tang of the rifle using two different sizes taps. You'll figure this out when you get the sight. I had to take the long screw and run a thread all the way up to the head, then cut it off to a short 1/2" length. The orginal screw is about 2" long and only threaded on the end. Brownells sells the die for tapping the rest of the bolt. This is the exact set-up I used on my Favorite and it shoots great. As far as the trigger job, I took mine apart and lightly deburred everything and that made a world of difference in the way it felt. It still have a heavy pull, but I did not want to shorten the hammer spring, which is the only way I could see to lighten the trigger pull. Still, with a little stoning the pull is crisp and creep free, although heavy. I even have a 16 round cartridge trap cut into the buttstock. I have 1.5x the price of the rifle tied up in sights and traps. Not very cost effective is it?
I too was considering the 30M in .22 mag, but if it is that much trouble, forget it. I have been eyeing one at the dealership for weeks, trying to talk myself into it. Now I'm glad I procrastinated.

[ 08-21-2002, 20:24: Message edited by: Big Bore ]

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
Something I forgot to mention. Where you mount the tang will affect greatly the height of the front sight you need, as well as the type of ammo you shoot. I mounted my tang sight so that it will fold fully to the rear (they fold in both directions). When shooting RWS Subsonic ammo, the sight is in the middle of its range adjustment, but with Winchester power points it is at the end of its travel-all the way up. Once you mount the sight, if you find that you do not have enough elevation adjustment, either up or down, you can order a replacement aperture rod. The M71 Tang sight comes with a Medium rod so you can either order a shorter one or a longer one, depending on need.
Back when I was researching which sight to use, and since Marbles had no idea, they (Marbles) sent me a printout of all the dimentions and spec. sheets for all the Tang sights they made at that time, including all individual parts and part numbers. They were very helpful and I think they went out of their way to help me find out which sight was needed.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I purchased one of the new Favorites in .22LR when they first came out - poor quality control - I returned it to the factory because the action was difficult to operate (especially when it appears to be designed for new, smaller shooters), heavy trigger pull (same reason) and the forend had a crack in it. It was returned in much better condition - the action operates smoothly, the trigger pull much improved and a replacement forend added. The fit and finish of these Canadian made guns is inferior to those made here in the USA. It would have been better if Savage would have kept production on this side of the border - I love Canada, it's just the poor quality of workmanship I dislike.

Posts: 376 | Location: Farmington, NM - USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

[ 08-23-2002, 03:02: Message edited by: MrUREasy ]

Posts: 376 | Location: Farmington, NM - USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to have somebody finally agree with me. Don't get me wrong I love Savage rifles but I don't think the .22's are up to the same quality level as the CF. I have a 93FSS (.22 Mag, SS, synthetic stock). Too begin with it would only shoot certain brands of ammo. Others just went "click". Then the mag wouldn't feed. Rounds would end up stuck below the feed lips. Also it wouldn't eject about half the rounds that did fire. I sent it back to the factory. They did fix the magazine which I now keep lubed and very clean. They did nothing for the other two problems. Said it was fine. I took it to my gunsmith who polished the chamber and fitted a new firing pin. NOW it is FINE. So far it shoots everything I load and has had no problems ejecting. It's always been a pretty accurate rifle, in the neighborhood of 1.5 MOA so I'm finally happy. Really expected better from Savage even though they are inexpensive.

NoCAL

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NoCal, Savage's prices are not what I consider "inexpensive" - over $200 for an entry level .22 is still a bit on the high side in my book. I picked the little single shot up to set is aside for my greatgrandson, and was very disappointed - I wanted to save it new in the box for him. When I sent it back to the factory, it was in the orginal box complete with paperwork - when it was returned, it was in a shipping box, no paperwork. When I inquired, I was advised it was out of their control - if it was not under their control, I wonder who is in control - most likely the quality control folks.

<Paleohunter>
posted
Big B
thanks for the info where did you buy all those goddies at? 200+$ is alot of money for a single shot 22 and as far as fir and finnish I wish Sav would have been better but at least it shoots good. I mean what other alternive is out there as far as a falling block goes. Winchester made a run of there Low wall in 22LR but no way I could spend I think it was 700+ for it. There is the Dakota No10 but at around 3,000$ forget it. I wish Ruger would come out with a scaled down version of its No1.

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
I ordered the tang direct from Marbles and got the Lyman Globe from Brownells. You can get the tang from Brownells, same price as factory direct from Marbles, but since Marbles had been so much help, I thought I owed it to them to buy from them directly. The cartridge trap came from Midway. I got my rifle for an even trade on a pistol I won over at Shooters, so the rifle itself did not cost me anything so I cannot complain (price then was $175). The one I got did have the stock split on both sides along the lower edge of the stock behind the action, and the dealer was going to send it back. It was a clean split so I took it anyway and with a little Accra-glass the split is not visible and a heck of a lot stronger now than before it was broken. My rifle is the older version of the 30G with the solid sides on the hammer and dropping block. The newer ones are sort of skeletonized for some reason; must save a nickels worth of steel. No doubt, their QC sure could use improving.

[ 08-24-2002, 06:55: Message edited by: Big Bore ]