THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    To TC or not to TC that is the question (Encore and Contender)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To TC or not to TC that is the question (Encore and Contender)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I have had many iterations of Thompson Center Contenders in both rifle and pistol format. I know I have owned at least one Encore, but only in rifle format.

There are a few cartridges I'd like to start shooting again, and I am thinking about doing them in an Encore, and maybe owning a Contender for the joy of packing and to help get my young daughters started down a path where they hear the hunting horn.

I have a mountain of 6mm BR brass and ammo, so that is one.

Same for 270 Win and 22 Hornet. That got me thinking the 30-30 is really a neat round in a single shot, and I have a ton of brass and ammo for it as well.

My primary current platform is a Blaser R8, and barrels are about $1200 each.

A Blaser stock/action is expensive enough that you don't want to saw it off to build a rifle for a kid, but I like the safety issue of it having a decocker.

I have an action from American Rifle Company in Washington that has a similar geometry to a 700 but built cleaner and with 3 lugs. It has a Savage small tenon and thread pitch and you can use Savage barrels on the system. It currently has a 6.5 CM on it in a Greybull Precision stock that I had planned on cutting down to 12 inches for the girls. As I have another stock for it from Manners. I don't think it kicks at all, but maybe a 80 pound 9 year old wouldn't agree.

So back to the TC's for a minute. My understanding is that the current production absolutely sucks for quality.

Are there serial numbers to stay away from?

I have researched Bellim and Match Grade machine and a few others. It is interesting all that is available.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike Bellm and MGM are good sources fo TC info and barrels. Contender trigger are excellent. They are very home-gunsmith friendly.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
People exaggerate the problems with current TC production. I'm not sure why. You can buy the older stuff used if you prefer as there is a thriving second hand market. There are several good custom shops if the factory stuff or used is not what you want.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I own a couple of Encore frames that I've never had a problem with but they're older (1980s). the only problems I've had with T/C products is a 22-250 barrel and a poorly made wood buttstock. I don't know anything about the Pro-Hunter (Ecore) frames.

I recently bought a barrel from E Arthur Brown, a 26 inch, 223 Rem, blued barrel. Very nicely make, can't wait to take it to the range. They also have a pretty good selection of custom calibers they make. E. A. Brown is a good source for T/C related products, barrels, stocks, parts, etc.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote