THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Deer Season Opening Day with Beretta 682E

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer Season Opening Day with Beretta 682E
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted
Mike Sukhadwala, aka Beretta682E, joined me at my deer lease in Hampton, South Carolina for opening day of deer season this past Wednesday, 15 August. Mike and I are both avid fans of hunting with single shot rifles, so Mike was using a Ruger #1 in 7x57 (that I had just sold him), and I was using a new Merkel K3 Stutzen in 7mm-08. Opening Day in South Carolina is generally pretty miserable with too many mosquitos and temperatures in the 90s. However, those did not deter us from getting in our stands before dawn and again a few hours before sunset. It was a very successful hunt - Mike took a fine 6 point buck in velvet in the afternoon, and I took a 180# 8 point buck in velvet opening morning. Overall, it was a great early season hunt, and Mike and I are looking forward to the cooler weather and the rut this Fall. Hopefully by then I can convince him that a Blaser K95 is not the only high quality single shot out there, and he should really invest in a Merkel K3 Stutzen. Mine shoots half moa all day with 120 grain Barnes X triple shock bullets, and the short overall length of the Stutzen makes it the perfect stand rifle.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What an excellent hunt!!!!

Thanks for having me over.

Hunting the low country in South Carolina is one of my favorite hunts in the world.

My blaser k95 won’t be in us till November.

The k gun is a great rifle too. Will end up with one in full stock.

Will post pictures soon.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Admiral and his buck

My buck

Some turkeys

My new favorite single shot rifle (till the blaser k95 gets here)

I like the 7x57 alot - this one and the 300 H&H ruger Number 1 May go to Africa one of these days.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the hunt report.

Those fat velvet bucks should provide some quality eating !!!

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
I have one of those little Ruger 1a rifles in 7x57 also, an early red pad model. I have a little Leupold 1.5-5 scope on it and it looks a lot trimmer. I found the rifle at a gun show some years back, and it was obviously uncared for, but at least the blueing and metal was good. The stock was another story it looked like an old boat paddle, the finish all cloudy and with patches missing. It took quite a bit of time to carefully remove the remaining finish and I found a fantastic piece of wood underneath.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote