THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Why the break open single shot rifles are not much seen in Africa?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why the break open single shot rifles are not much seen in Africa?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The falling block action is much more in use in Africa (Hagn, Ruger No.1, Dakota, etc.) while the German styled break open systems (such as from Merkel, Blaser, Heym, Bühler etc.) are seldom encountered there. Do you think it is connected with the past British influence? Or are there some "technical" reasons behind it?
What is your opinion?

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There is sentiment that break-open actions are not as 'stout' as the falling-block actions.

The idea of them popping open due to an over-pressure load may be of concern.

That said, I know many people who have hunted Africa with break-open Thompson Center Contenders and Encores.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
There is sentiment that break-open actions are not as 'stout' as the falling-block actions.

The idea of them popping open due to an over-pressure load may be of concern.

That said, I know many people who have hunted Africa with break-open Thompson Center Contenders and Encores.

George

People may think a break open single shot is weak but all the double rifles are break open.
I almost took a Contender on the last trip but took two bolt guns. An Encore, or any of the Euro guns, are fine with any of the cartridges used for plains game. I am not sure I would use it for DG.

M.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took my K95 to Mozambique.

Posts: 1067 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Took my K1 to the Karoo with great results. It’s my single favorite carry-rifle.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote