tc contender
 Login/Join

Picture of yukon_kings
posted
tc contender in

super 16 22 hornet w/ iron sights

custom eabco 26" 204 ruger w/ redfield revenge 4x12

375 jdj 23" drilled/tapped w/ iron sights

the hornet's a good carry around gun. picking off beavers (for supper) during the summer and fall months and a dispatch gun on the trapline during the winter..

Posts: 12 | Location: lower yukon river, AK | Registered: 03 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a carbine length Contender chambered in 30/30Win that I really like but have yet to shoot anything but paper with it. I shot at a running coyote at an estimated 275-300 yds. and I had the reticle right where it needed to be, but had a second thought that this is only a 30/30 and gave it a little more elevation and shot right over the yotes back. I handload my ammo and with a 150 grain Hornady IL bullet I am reaching 2350 ft/sec which, I think, is pretty good for a Thuty Thuty. beer

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1187 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I picked up a heavy rifle barrel in .204 Ruger to put on my son's because I am curious about the caliber and figured that was a cheap way to try it, and then said the heck with it and bought stock and frame to go with it. So much for cheap. hilbily
What loads are you shooting in your .375 JDJ?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of yukon_kings
posted Hide Post
the 375 had a scope on it before. during load development with 250gr sierra spt, I took it out on a winter moose hunt. round passed thru a moose about 70ft away. trotted 25ft laid down n never got up. scope took a beating with further developments so sent it out got iron sights mounted. got it good up to 100 yds with the sierra 200 gr slugs but haven't had the opportunity to punch holes into game with it yet.

Posts: 12 | Location: lower yukon river, AK | Registered: 03 April 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Would you mind sharing your loading data for the 250-grain Sierra in the .375 JDJ?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of yukon_kings
posted Hide Post
I lost the load data which came with the reloading dies and brass from ssk. If i remember correctly, imr 4064 , re-15 were 2 powders I had that were listed under the sierra 250. but I scrubbed the notes I keep when I make new loads. sorry no help there. been a while since the 250 gr slugs..

Picture of yukon_kings
posted Hide Post
found a note i had on the load development for the 375 with sierra 250gr. don't know exactly the starting and max powder weight. but with re-15 testing, 48.0-48.5 charge weights showed promise. i was working with 48.3 when the scope crapped out.

i asked ssk for another load data since i lost the original that came with the dies. when i got the list, it wasn't the same as the original. the 2 powders i had available with the original list, wasn't listed in detail this time around..