THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Suggestions on Trigger Job for T/C Pro Hunter

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions on Trigger Job for T/C Pro Hunter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Uplandhunter
posted
I just received a TC Pro Hunter for Christmas. I want to have a trigger job done on this rifle. In everyone's opinion, who does the best job and what else should I consider doing to the rifle. Right now it has the .50 Muzzleloader barrel on it, however, in the very near future I will be purchasing the .375 H&H and the 25-06.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair

http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 203 | Location: Northeast, Nebraska | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did my own, bought a #3 spring and the special pliers from Bellm, downloaded the instructions, it was cake walk! Went from 7lbs-2oz to 2lbs-12oz, smooth as butter and breaks like glass. I also got a heavy locking lug spring, total ~$30.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uplandhunter
posted Hide Post
I don't really feel comfortable doing it myself. Who would you suggest doing it for me.

Posts: 203 | Location: Northeast, Nebraska | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did ya download the instructions to see how easy it was? I don't have any recommendations other the Bellm, he does a good job from what i've read, but I've always done my own triggers.

David White is pretty good from what I've read also.

http://precisionrifleworks.net/thompson.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
If you don't want to tackle it yourself, Mike or his associated 'smiths can do it for you, and it's done CORRECTLY -- much unlike the dremel tool shoppers who can actually do more harm than good. Unfortunately, many 'smiths don't really understand the TCs. And what may be fine and dandy on a bolt rifle is not the treatment a Contender or Encore should be subjected to.

Here's the addy:

www.bellmtcs.com

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9320 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uplandhunter
posted Hide Post
Other than the trigger job, are there any other modifications I can make to make this a better rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uplandhunter:
Other than the trigger job, are there any other modifications I can make to make this a better rifle?

Oversize hinge pin, heavy-duty locking bolt spring, and put or have put pillars in the forend. Bellm has the hinge pin and locking bolt springs on his store website listed above. Info about trigger jobs is there also.

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I had Mike Bellm do a trigger job for me and I am VERY happy with it. This time of year, he runs a special on trigger jobs as well.

He also sells oversized hing pins for the Encore and Contender. They will probably only do some good if there is some play in barrel to receiver easily discovered by seeing if you can move the barrel back and forth a little when it's attached to the frame.

For the 375 H&H Magnum, you might want to consider a muzzel brake. I have one without the brake. The recoil off hand isn't that bad but you REALLY have to keep your head away from the scope or you WILL get dinged as I have on several occasions. The length of pull on my stock is a little short for my liking which probably contributes to the problem. A muzzle brake would probably lessen muzzle rise and lessen the chance of getting cut by the scope.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Hah, if you think the .375 is vicious try the .416 Rigby chambering. I wouldn't suggest that one to anyone, scoped or not! As for the .375, the muzzle break would be a good idea, although that new pro-hunter stock might help you out a bit. A trigger job is a good idea, Mike Bellm does a great job.
By the way congrats on the new rifle!

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The hollow synthetic stock will hold about 4 lbs of lead shot to tame recoil for bench shooting.

Muzzle brakes are great for reducing muzzle jump and recoil, but you'll need hearing protection when you're hunting, something most hunters don't think about until it's too late and the damage is done.

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?id=2052

One of Us
Picture of Uplandhunter
posted Hide Post
I am a firm believer of muzzlebrake's. I have one on a 300 RUM. Love it. I will probably see how bad the recoil is on the .375 before putting one on the barrel.

One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
I think Mike Bellm is hard to beat on any TC work; VERY satisfied with my trigger. Lots of good info. on his site also.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'll cast another vote for Mike Bellm's trigger job. He did the trigger on my Pro Hunter frame this fall and I have been very plesed. Very smooth with no creep. I recently recieved an email from him about his annual winter trigger job special. Check out his website,very imformative!

One of Us
Picture of Uplandhunter
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I sent off the gun this morning to Mike.

posted Hide Post
I had Steve Stratton formerly of Virgin Valley do mine. Im no sure if he still does it but you might google Stratton Customs or someone here might have a contact address.

Jason

Bowhunting is life the rest is just small stuff.

Posts: 11 | Location: West MI | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had Fred Smith at Bullberry do my trigger work and he cut off the "QLA" and recrowned the bbl to a match grade contour. I am very happy.

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Jeff Stratton is at Matchgrademachine.com
You can have custom barrels built there also. I've seen his work and am very impressed with his work. It's the same folks as was at Virgin Valley guns.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote