New
Find
Notify
Tools

CVA single shot Scout?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are they very well made? I am thinking about the 45-70 with the 25 inch barrel.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Closes up like a fine bank vault and seems to be built to last. Trigger was as if a smith . . . A GOOD SMITH had worked it over to perform.

As light as they are, . . . I recommend that ya hold on good n tight when ya pull the trigger in 45 and 70 .

OOPS, just went back and looked mine was a "HUNTER", not "SCOUT", not sure the differences as they sure look to be the same basic rifle

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They aren't heavy enough so I agree, hang on.

Posts: 46 | Location: The Hardwoods | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. They look kinda cool. It's not hard to make a single-shot, break-open rifle a pound or more heavier. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really have nothing against them but the fact they are light.

Posts: 46 | Location: The Hardwoods | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like mine in 300blk 18" barrel, they are called Bergara ba13 here.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...5421043/m/1741033862

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the trigger like ? some single shots have had terrible triggers.

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also curious how strong this action is ? Many loading manuals list 45-70 loads in 3 levels. Old levers and single shots being the weakest. Some medium strength actions being newer marlin levers and the strongest being the Ruger #1 and converted Siamese mauser rifles. Where would these actions fit in ??

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also curious how strong this action is ?

snowman, That is an important question to me as well. brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm no expert on these so the best source of information concerning strength I'm sure would be the factory. I do see however they are chambered in modern, high pressure cartridges so perhaps this is a hint. As for endurance with those cartridges, I can't speak.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine has a light crisp trigger. They can be had in .243w so what kind of pressure can they take.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LAH44:
quote:

I'm no expert on these so the best source of information concerning strength I'm sure would be the factory. I do see however they are chambered in modern, high pressure cartridges so perhaps this is a hint. As for endurance with those cartridges, I can't speak.

I've read that there may be two differnt actions used in different models of CVA single shot rifles. One may be stronger than the other. Yes I see that there are some high pressure rounds like 7mm Rem and 300 Win chambered. I also see at least one model is discontinued. Why is it discontinued ?? couldnt handle the high pressure?? I'm not saying I'm asking. Anybody have any info about this ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
snowman, Interesting question! I know that there were two models of the Handi Rifle, SB1 and SB2, with the SB2 being stronger. Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also see at least one model is discontinued. Why is it discontinued ?? couldnt handle the high pressure?? I'm not saying I'm asking. Anybody have any info about this ?

No idea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They has/had two models of the break action one of them had interchangeable barrels this BA13 take down has not.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Old post, but I will still add my $.02 . . .

I might wrong, but I think you will run out of recoil tolerance before the rifle runs out of strength.

An email to the manufacturer may yield an answer.

340-350 grain cast lead projie and 10.8 grains of Unique may well give you around 1000 fps and an accurate Plinker.

Now that it is too late, I think I would much rather have one in 45 and 70 than the 7-08 I had.

I just consider the 45 and 70 with lighter loadings to be fun to plink away with.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I just recently got a CVA Scout V2 with the "Quick Takedown" feature in 444 Marlin. I think this version is only offered in stainless. No range report yet as I just received the brass (from Grafs but I see that you can also get it direct from Starline at the moment).

It seems to be pretty well made, locks up tight however there is what looks like a slight score in the rifling but it is equally distributed around and runs the length so I don't think it will affect accuracy, but I should find out next weekend if not sooner.

Mine did come with a little ding in the receiver, I think I can clean it up with a punch. That's a hazard buying a gun online as it would be a big PITA sending it back to get replaced and this is a working gun anyway so I'll clean it up and just live with it. It's also somewhat heavy, I think mine is a little over 8 pounds and in addition to 45-70 it comes in 35 whelen,243,450 Bushmaster, 350 Legend and a couple others.

The barrel breaks open by squeezing on the trigger guard, when I first got it it was super tight to squeeze but oiling and working it makes it useable now. What I have noticed is if you squeeze the guard then close the gun it releases quite smoothly, when it gets snapped shut it can still be stiff to open on occasion.

I put a Leupold 2-7 on mine, quite happy how it fits. The gun comes with an aluminum rail that works acceptably though I could see putting a steel picatinny base on it at some point. I don't remember if it came with rings, I used a set of Leupold QRW rings. Lastly, the gun is threaded and comes with a muzzle brake. It also comes with just a collar if you want to unscrew the brake, which is what I did.

Give me a week or two and I'll do a write up on it after some load development.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7757 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Well I was finally able to get some bullets loaded and sighted in.

I have a few molds, however I think the one I am going to use first is a Lyman 429421 245 gr semi wadcutter, the original Keith designed bullet. At the moment I have loaded up sierra 180 gr JHP bullets because I have a ton of them and wanted to check accuracy too.

I used 49 gr of 4198, which accordiing to the chart should have gotten me 2300 fps but looks like I'm getting 2000 fps. Didn't shoot off a bench but rested it on a fence post and at 80 yards get a 1" group. elevation is pretty much the same but group is strung to the left. Going to be busy next weekend but hope to get my bench set up and will see how well it shoots off some bags, at this point I'm very happy with how it shoots so far!

Weight of the gun with scope (Leupold 2-7 w/steel rings) lightweight sling, and one of those buttstock ammo holders with 9 rounds is a total of 9.36 pounds with muzzle brake off and collar installed. Recoil is noticeable but not unpleasant at all, I'll see how it is with a 245 bullet at 2300 or so.

At this point I'm quite happy with this rifle.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7757 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote