New
Find
Notify
Tools

257Wby disappointment
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Will try to get a picture of my Mod.11 single shot.

Many years ago I requested from Ruger to build me a 257Wby. They did not at that time chamber for the 257Wby I think it was around 1962. They said we might next year but never did. 2 years ago I send a Ruger 26" barrel/action to Ron Smith who builds BR grade barrels and does custom rebore jobs. When I ask about my rebore job he said I don't know when I can do it Alas he never got to my barrel in the 2 years and I went only a few weeks ago and picked up my Ruger #1 barreled action uncompleted.

Last year I ordered a custom Model 11 single shot from Luxus arms in 257Wby. It is a beautiful rifle. With a very fine piece of Turkish Walnut and Case colored action and lever. Besides it shoots like like a dream. Four shots to sight in the scope and one shot to take a small WT buck at 180 yards. I am a bit disappointed in the weight of this rifle it goes over 9lbs with a 26" barrel and a
Leopold 3-9 Scope with custom factory rings.
I am now sort of a happy camper. But it still irks me about the Ruger #1 planed 257Wby.

A few years back Smith did a 6.5x284 Ruger #1 which is a real tack driver. He also did several
custom barrels and rebore jobs over the years for me. But after the two years wait I will never deal with him again. I needed to get this calamity off my chest.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nearly twenty years ago I had Kenny Jarret rebarrel a Ruger No 1 to .257 Weatherby with a short throat. It has the standard factory contour barrel and with a B&C stock it weighs a little over nine pounds with scope and sling. It is a hunting rifle and has taken deer, caribou and a moose. It aggs in the.....I won't say as most won't believe it, but it is the most accurate belted magnum I own.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TX Nimrod.
The 257Wby is not a very popular rifle. Don't know
why that is. It is by far the best deer rifle ever
made and super accurate with light recoil.
I just love that caliber. Specially now with all the good bullets available. This last one Mod 11
is my third 257Wby and perhaps my last one.
One other 25 cal is the the 25 Hunter a HBR caliber a wild cat and a deadly WT deer rifle.
It spits out a 100gr bullet at 3150ft with super accuracy. You can see it on my web site.
http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ZERMEL/25deerhunter.html
Fred M.

Fred M.
zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Zermal,
Why not just locate a Ruger #1 in 25-06 in good + condition and then have any reputable smith just re-chamber to 257 WBY? I did this for a guy last year and he is VERY happy. Cheap too as all you gotta do is pull the barrel and chamber then either alter the existing extractor or order a mag one from Ruger for 20.00_.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote