Find
Notify
Tools

Gibbs popped up on gunbroker
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/752249218

I am sure someone will have an interest on this site. Not mine by the way. If it were, it would not be for sale. JB

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking of these Gibbs match rifles lately.
Another is in the next Holt's auction.
Interestingly, the one above (Kirton's rifle)is a back position rifle with the base added to the tang for shooting prone while the one at Holt's is a standard match rifle with a sight base added to the heel of the stock for back position.
Lovely rifles for sure!

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
"Serial #14466/ Action #577, .461 No. 1 Gibbs, 34” target barrel with an excellent, bright bore. This is a truly handsome rifle, built circa 1878 . . ."

I wonder how they purport to know date of manufacture? Anyone have any idea?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Even though the majority of the Gibbs ledgers were lost in the War, there is still a little information out there as far as owners’ personal records and literature that some manufacture years can be surmised.
It helps that there were only 974 Gibbs Farquharsons of all types in total and they were rather high class items in their day.
Also, another thing that helps is that every one with a Metford rifled barrel has a patent use number on the barrel and Gibbs had a patent use number of their own on every Farq as well as what today is known as a “Best Quality Serial Number” on the high grade examples.
A few clues like these and you can get pretty close on the year of manufacture.
Plus, I would be pretty inclined to take Kirton at his word on this subject...

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have not seen anyone specify an exact date of manufacture before - only approximations. I'd love to know the full backstory on this one.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is another. I believe it is the same seller. The last one did not sell on the site but has not been relisted so I imagine someone made him an offer afterwards. The action on this 2nd one is really interesting. I have not seen another quite like it. It is not a best quality action, but looks to be a very early action. The patent use number is difficult to make out bu I believe it is 122. Someone tell me what the forward lever is for. Jim
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/760756649

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
The forward lever is to remove the underlever hinge pin.
This one is built to the Miltary Breech Loader pattern so it is the usual that it would be a very standard level of finish rather than what we now know as “best quality”
I have not had one of the MBL versions in hand so my bet is that the large pin just rear of the lever is spring loaded while the very small pin acts as a stop for the lever. Otherwise, it would appear that this little lever would have left hand threads which is doubtful.
Boy, would I like to get my hands on this rifle...

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Quite interesting is the way the underlever latches on to the frame.
I would have to look in the books and my files, but this may be quite unique. Two components such as the underlever and the protrusion of the frame made to interlock in this way is very unusual.
Super cool rifle to be sure.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I read up on this action and the little pin is actually the one that is spring loaded.
The edge of the lever fits into a cutout on the big pin which holds it in place.
When depressed, the little pin allows the lever to rotate clockwise out from under the big pin and the whole hinge pin can simply be withdrawn allowing easy removal of the block and lever for cleaning.
Apparently the hinge pin isn't threaded at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is fascinating. Thank you for the response Huvius. This really had me scratching my head. I am with you. I would love to have a look at this one up close. I do have an MBL, just not in quite as good condition and is much closer to what you would expect to see. Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
High class in their day but only a mere $9000 today.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote