New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger No1 250-3000
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Ruger action that I intend to build a "spec" gun on for the purpose of resale. What's everyone think of a Ruger in .250-3000 with a lightweight 20 or 22" barrel? The goal is to build a lightweight deer rifle that is different.

Posts: 474 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 25s. I recently had a no.1 built in .257 Roberts with a 25” barrel. For the Coues deer around this area it should be perfect.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That would be different but would it have broad enough interest to sell? What about a straight wall pistol cartridge for a short and handy rifle or a 257 Roberts with a little more barrel length and weight.

Posts: 815 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Lipsey’s has No.1s in 250-3000 right now. 24” lightweight barrel. Your idea may not be unique enough to attract a buyer.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
6.5 CM?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once saw a no1 in 6mmBR custom made as a dedicated Capercaillie rifle, I want one.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 250 Savage is a deservedly well respected dual purpose deer/varmint round. I would bet that a fine craftsman, such a yourself, will have no problem selling that rifle. However, I would think the rifle’s salability will have more to do with your fine craftsmanship and reputation than the merits of the cartridge. Many old rounds like the 250 Savage appeal to a dwindling number of folks, mostly due to attrition. Old cartridges are dying with the old folks who hold them in high regard. While some cartridges like the ‘06 and 270 are destined to remain mainstays forever, from a purely marketing point of view, the 250 died a long time ago. I am a big 257 Roberts fan, and it is in same boat as the 250. The Bob may be dying slower, but it is dying, none the less.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
What about a 408 Chey-Tac?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I can relate to your thoughts. In the early 80s I was builsing some custom riles + I was my own worst enemy as I have a fascination with wildcats + ideas out of the norm. Although these were wonderful rifles I had to come to the conclusion in business that not everyone wants what you want. Case in point; just because you think a 1962 Pink Cadillac convertible would be the cats meow; now you have to find someone else who feels the same + usually that's quite hard. Your caliber idea is not bad but as for saleability; who knows. I still have the desire to build a # 1 in 30-416 A.I. that Ross Seyfried came up with. Just because.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would have been a good idea a month ago..I just ordered the new Lipskys special in a #1 light weight in 250-3000..but they will sell out pronto, so your idea might get even more popular in a few months, I bet this one will set new value increase records for Lipskys, most of the specials have..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OOPs, Ive become a dwindling number of old folks that like dieing old calibers!!

I just bought a Lipskys Special in 250-3000, I think they have 45 left from the original 250..and they have not even listed them until a day or two ago..Ive doubled my money on ever Lipskys Ive purchased..I will keep this one, it nostalgic to my family going back to the birth of the 250-3000..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A .250 #1 is an excellent idea, IMO. I have one (rebarreled from a 70's vintage .270, with a Douglas barrel) that is a tack driving rascal, that's tame and fun to shoot to boot.

Posts: 329 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LIpskys sold out of that special order 1-A in 250-3000 in 4 days Im told, it was a fwt with a 24" fwt. barrel, Alex Hendry forend..Mine shoots under and inch with several loads so far, with bullet wts from 80 grs to 120 grs..Loving it..So yours should sell IMO...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
LIpskys sold out of that special order 1-A in 250-3000 in 4 days Im told, it was a fwt with a 24" fwt. barrel, Alex Hendry forend..Mine shoots under and inch with several loads so far, with bullet wts from 80 grs to 120 grs..Loving it..So yours should sell IMO...

Thanks to all for your comments. Ray, glad you like your new .250-3000.

Since my original post, I've been thinking about .25 caliber alternatives to the .250 Savage. What would be your choice among the 250 Savage, 250 Savage AI, 257 Roberts, and 257 Roberts AI in a lightweight Ruger No. 1? Personally, I'd prefer either of the two Ackley Improved cartridges, but I'm an ardent handloader.

Posts: 474 | Location: Fayetteville, GA | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I go with a 257 Robts or a 7x57, then if they wanted a Ackley they could just punch it out, gives them an option and you some work..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of the 250, myself. 22 inch barrel, .500 at the muzzle. Short (1") shank but with a rib ahead of the shank to accept the scope base. I'd hunt for a lightweight piece of wood for the butt. Otherwise, the rifle might be butt-heavy. Fore arm would be nice as a slim,Savage-style, schnabel tip.
To rechamber to an AI would require the barrel being set back a thread. I'm not a big AI fan anyway. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3518 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well to each their own. I myself love my 257 + 7X57 AIs.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AND there is always the 25-06, a most amazing caliber..Years ago in the 50s I worked on a ranch and our ranch house was barely in So. Dakota.On the Wy line. I was a pumper for Souix Oil Co. in a place called Mule Creek. All the neighboring ranchers were avid hunters and we roped on weekends, hunted a lot..I got the impression that everyone in Wyoming shot 25 caliber rifles, either the 257 Robts or the 25-06, and they killed deer and elk with them every year, most were handloaders and being cowboys loaded up the horses and gear and we headed for a honey hole out of Cody Wy..We all killed our elk and the 25s suited them perfectly, and they didn't see a thing wrong with my 250-3000 99F and agreed it was a real dandy in the saddle scabbard as compared to their custom or simi custom Mausers.those were the days! tu2 After a few of those winters and our house being on a bald hill with a wire to the barn so we didn't get lost in the snow and wind, dad called and said he needed help on a newly leased ranch, and when the snow melted we went home to Texas and 120 degree weather in Nov.. rotflmo The 250-3000 worked as well in the desert Rimrock country where long shots were the norm on Mule and Coues deer, and the now recognized Del Carmine whitetail that in reality is a Coues deer..stocked years ago in the Big Bend and Black Gap Game reserve..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120