New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re Barreling My Ruger No1
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So this has been done to death but I could use some fresh advise. I have a Ruger no1 with really nice factory wood in 30-30 win. It does not shoot great. I really like the gun but im not crazy about the caliber. I originally bought it for my wife to get her interested in shooting but it never took. Maybe she will be interested in pistols, fingers crossed.

Anyways, I have fallen in love with the little single shot, I love packing the rifle and the simplicity of of the action. I find it easier to operate and hunt with than a bolt gun. Although 30-30 is a great classic cartridge, it is a little anemic. It has worked with great results on a couple of black-tail deer, my primary game these days is moose.

Long story short I'm having it re-barreled and I'm trying to sort out the ideal cartridge. I think a single shot should have enough authority to really hammer something on the first shot but not to much recoil to make it un-comfortable to shoot. All shots to a max 300 yds. Bellow are some of my thoughts:

• 35 Whelen
  • 300 hh
  • 30-06
  • 9.3x62
  • 375 Flanged magnum

These are just some of my thoughts, I threw the 375 flanged in there because I have all the reloading gear for it, I'm hesitant to build a 375 because I already have a 375 ruger, and I think the recoil would be a bit stiff in the little gun. The rest of the suggestions are what my smith has for reamers and calibers that are available over the counter, although I do reload. I left the 338-06 off because I had a rifle in that caliber and although I liked it, I found most bullets are designed for magnum velocity and it is a strictly reload option, I think the 35 caliber bullets are better suited to non magnum velocity. I prefer reloading but it is nice to have the option to buy ammo in certain situations.

Thanks in advance. Smiler
  •  
    Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I have a like new 30-06 take off barrel from an early Tang safety Ruger M-77 that was removed to make an 8x68, can provide pictures if you like or are interested.

m4220

Posts: 217 | Location: US | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I just got a 300 H&H that shoots great. 200 grain bullets at 2900+ and a thin Decelerator recoil pad make it not uncomfortable, though you do notice it. 35 rounds off the bench the other day and I could feel it the next day, but never painful.

I don't know what that would feel like with the factory pad. Seems like your cartridge choice will depend more on what you intend to shoot with it. For moose at 300 yards, I personally would prefer the larger of your mentioned options, with the 300 H&H being on the low end. I don't know what a 375 flanged magnum is, though I presume it to be on the order of 375 H&H.

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Why not a .338-06 or a .338 Win Mag (the latter would be my choice)?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
    http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Bill/Oregon
    posted Hide Post
    A good pad and .300 H&H with a 26-inch barrel. You'll just feel good about anything you harvest with that rig.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
    – John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks allot for the reply's. Jon, what length barrel is you 300 H&H? I meant the max range I would shoot is 300, most moose we have taken have been within 75. That's half the fun, calling them in.

Bill, I like your style. You don't think 26 is to long eh? its 22 now and a real pleasure to pack around.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    26". I've worked up a load from the Lyman manual using 200 gr Sierra Gamekings and Reloader 25. I think it will pack well, though I haven't hunted with it yet. 22" would feel like an absolute carbine.

And they say that if you're going to use 180 grain or lighter bullets, you might as well be using a 30-06. I don't know if that's true or not.

I like it almost as much for the "cachet" of the cartridge as I do the performance. I have a Win 70 in 300 Wby that would get me more velocity, but it doesn't have the "cool" factor of the Ruger #1 or of the 300 H&H round.

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Sell it as it is and find another one you like better!

It has it's most value now.

Just shop around for another rifle.

It's faster.

One of Us
    Picture of dpcd
    posted Hide Post
    Single shots should all be in BIG calibers. Just like they started out being; . .338 is a good atart, 375 is good, 450-400 is better, and 458 is nice, but does kick some. I just rebarreled one in .223; a waste of a good single shot. Elmer said those .300s are strictly pest guns and I agree.
    375 Flanged? perfect.
    9.3x74; quite nice; 9.3x62; very nice . Go with that. too bad you are in Canada as I have a shelf full of 9.3 barrels...

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Savage_99:

It's faster.

I would, but it shoots 6" groups at 100yds. I'm trying another scope hopefully that's the problem, but im not hopeful. I couldn't sell it like that.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    If a proven scope does not improve it then recut it's crown.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by dpcd:
    9.3x62; very nice . Go with that.

Why does everyone love that caliber so much. It seems so slow.
    I have the same thoughts, a single shot should be a big and be able to lay the smack down. Thanks for the thought on the bbls.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I would go 9.3x62 or 9.3x74R. I have a No 1 in a 45-70 which is a fun caliber to reload, but for serious hunting I'd go a 9.3.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Bill/Oregon
    posted Hide Post
    BC, a 26-inch tube on a No. 1 not only looks good, it still handles like a compact rifle owing to the shortness of the action. It also gives you everything the .300 is capable of.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
    – John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of dpcd
    posted Hide Post
    The 9.3s, both 74R and 62, may be slow compared to the small bore, belted mags and such. BUT, they kill based on bullet weight and penetration. And they both do that very well, for over 100 years now; that is why they are popular, and only because they were not available in the US for all these years are they not even more popular.
    Actually, you can just buy a factory one in 9.3x74. Six inch groups? remove the forearm and shoot it and see what it does then. Probably not the ccrown. Check bore for severe fouling, but my bet is on forearm. well check scope first.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    dpcd,

I've put over three hundred down the tube, removed the forearm, tightened loosened it. Cleaned it to a shine with wipe-out many times. Scope was brand new Leopold VX3-1.5-5. Never did like the way the windage and elevation adjustments felt, very light clicks. Accidentally left some wipe out in the bore for around 5 days but it isn't supposed to hurt it, maybe it did.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Those #1's look so much better with a 'factory' barrel.

So to save time, save money and get a better looking #1 SELL that #1 as it is and buy another one chambered for a cartridge you like better.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    From what you describe as intended use, that 9.3x62 is a very versatile cartridge and factory ammo is available if desired. There are good selections of "killer" bullets on the market for the cartridge if factory ammo is not to your liking. Personally I prefer the 9.3 over my 35Whelen rifle, but that is just me.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Instructor:
    From what you describe as intended use, that 9.3x62 is a very versatile cartridge and factory ammo is available if desired. There are good selections of "killer" bullets on the market for the cartridge if factory ammo is not to your liking. Personally I prefer the 9.3 over my 35Whelen rifle, but that is just me.

What do you prefer about the 9.3?

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    How about 30-40 Krag

Posts: 19356 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Double BC, I have a 9.3x62 in a CZ 550 American. What I like about this caliber is (1) It is an easy to caliber to reload and several different powders work well. (2) It handles bullet weights from 232 grains to 320 grains and most all are available. I've also never had a problem finding good brass. (3) If you don't reload, there are several reliable factory loads available (286 grain Norma Oryx come to mind). Finally, the 9.3 is easy to shoot (just a big push) and mine has proven very accurate with both factory and reloaded ammo.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Double BC,
    Biggs300 pretty much sums up my own reasons for preferring the 9.3 to the Whelen. Came by two very nice VZ24 actions some years ago and since living close to Douglas Barrel Co. did one in the 9.3 and other in Whelen. It's not that I dislike the Whelen for it is definitely a classic medium American round, but just enjoy shooting the 9.3 more. Same configuration, action, barrel type, sights, etc, just me I suppose.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of buckeyeshooter
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Savage_99:

It's faster.

excellent advice.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Your Ruger #1 30-30 is a collector gun. Not very many were made. I agree with Savage_99 and buckeyeshooter. Sell the 30-30 and shop around for what you want. Now is a great time to be shopping for a hunting rifle. You have a collector gun now. It’s value should be the same year around.

I have Ruger #1s in 25-06 and 338 WM. Besides the #1, I have a Ruger 77 II and a Savage 116 in 338 WM. While I enjoy bench work with the 25-06 #1, the 338 WM #1 gets tiresome after a while. I love the look and feel of the 338 WM #1, it’s recoil (with a good pad) caused me to have a BOSS recoil system installed on it. My hope is to reduce the recoil and be able to tune the #1 338 WM to shoot the same loads as my 77 WM does.

If I were not so far invested in the 338 WM, I would have a 9.3x62. Most of the 9.3x62 rifles I have seen for sale have short barrels, some as short as 20". So a short barrel 9.3x62 must not give up much power. Sell your 30-30 and buy a #1 9.3x62 with a 20-23" barrel.

Posts: 257 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 May 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I agree with the sell it crowd.
    My #1 is a #1A model. 7X57. Mine is very accurate.
    It has a 22 inch barrel ind is fun to carry.
    You could find one in 30,06 , or dont forget the 45/70. You might find it a little slow for 300 yard shots, but 200 would be great , that's just a cool combo...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    No reason a 30/30 should shoot so poorly but no way to diagnose it without seeing it.In a Number One, you should be able to push pointed 150's to over 2500fps easily enough. This makes it a repectable little rifle. If it doesn't shoot though, there isn't much point. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3521 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
    No reason a 30/30 should shoot so poorly but no way to diagnose it without seeing it.In a Number One, you should be able to push pointed 150's to over 2500fps easily enough. This makes it a repectable little rifle. If it doesn't shoot though, there isn't much point. Regards, Bill.

Does that mean you'll have a look at it for me Bill? Smiler

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks Allot guys for your input and support, I will keep you posted.

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Hi BC
    I agree the 30-30 is a collector but it should be accurate I have No1 in 22/250,243,270,7mm Rem,338wm,45/70,and 458wm and all are very accurate.If you really want to rebarrel and moose is the main animal I would definitely go with a 9.3.Either 9.3x74r or 9.3x62 both in a 26 inch.They both shoot beautifully and kill extremely well,just ask my Cape Buffalo one shot with a9.3x74r or the literally thousands of buf that fell to 62s.Perfect for moose and the No1 is so strong you can load a little hotter safely.
    Take care Bill

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Talking about the 300 H&H is not big enough for moose is silly. I have shot many moose with the 06, and even with a 257 Roberts. They are not hard to kill.
    The 303 kills most of the moose in Canada. Just put that bullet where it counts,

Fred M.
    zermel@shaw.ca

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Perhaps consider just rechambering it 30-40 Krag AI?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of boom stick
    posted Hide Post
    30-40 Krag?
    35 Winchester?
    350 rigby?
    http://www.cartridgecollector.net/350-rigby-magnum

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
    Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote