THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    Ruger no.1 .450-400 scope opinions

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger no.1 .450-400 scope opinions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have purchased a no.1 in .450-400 and need a scope for it, with preferences towards the sleeker leupolds. I thought about the fx-ii scout scope as it has great eye relief with this hard kicking cartridge. If anyone has pictures I would appreciate it.

Colin

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1.75-6X maybe?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a 1-4 Swaro, think it is a Z3, on mine. It was on a blowout sale at the time, about 400.00 less than the Leupold 1-6. Works good, maybe sometimes with punching paper, the 6 power might be a bit nicer. I have a 1-6 as well, on another gun. That is really the only difference between them for me.

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Maybe consider a Leupold FX-II Ultralight 2.5x (shown here on my No.1 .45-70). This scope has about 5" of eye relief and works just fine mounted as shown using low height Ruger No.1 rings.

I have a Leupold 2.5x Scout scope on my BLR .358 Win. The Scout scope needs to be mounted way forward for proper view and might be a bit too close using standard No.1 rings -

One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
I'm with ISS, 1.75x-6x or 1.5x-5x. Both will allow for adequate eye relief and contrary to what others have posted recently, you won't have to "crawl all over the rifle" to see through the scope, even at 6x.

Shown this pic before, but you asked for photo's (and I'm proud of the rifle)! Subject rifle is a 35 Whelen wearing the VX3 1.75-6.

Posts: 133 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful No.1 ! Eeker Cool

Here's my 9.3x74R with a Nikon Omega 3x9 scope which has a constant 6" of eye relief throughout the magnification range -

One of Us
Picture of Deon
posted Hide Post
I have a Schmidt & Bender Zenith 1,1-4x24. Compared to the Leupold VX3 1.25-5x20 it is quite bulky, but optically much clearer and definitely superior. When I bought mine, the price was the same as the S&B, as the S&B was on Special, otherwise I would've gone for the VX3. I considered the VX6 and VXR also with 30mm tubes, but if I were to do it again I would opt for the 25mm Tube, it just sits better on the Ruger in my opinion.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...931041241#1931041241

The Picture of the Ruger up against the tree in this thread was one of the reasons I bought mine.

As an aside, what bullets are you loading? I'm using GSC HV 325gr Bullets. Accuracy is good, and with the improved BC and higher velocity, the 450/400 becomes more of an all rounder than one would expect.

Here is a photo of mine (Taken off Cellphone, so apologies for poor quality)

Cheers

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact."

Posts: 131 | Location: Umshwati, South Africa | Registered: 20 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LRx- what a beautiful rifle! I really think the leupold 1.75x6 is what I'll go with. I have never really cared for the looks of a rifle until I bought the ruger no.1, and how quickly it's lines are affected by the look of the scope.

In terms of hand loads I haven't, as I have a turret press and am only set up to load .45 acp. A friend sold me 120 hornady solids, so I at least have some brutal ammo on hand.

I bought a sample pack from superior ammunition consisting of 300 and 320? grain Barnes tsx .405 win bullets and another Barnes bullet in reduced velocity. I haven't yet ever loaded rifle rounds so that is another thing to get into. It is going to a smith to get a new recoil pad fitted along with some weight in the buttstock. I hope to take a Kentucky Whitetail with it this fall.

Colin

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Colin, a simpler, cheaper scope to consider would be a good old steel Weaver K2.5 or K3. These things will take a beating and give good service until such time as you want to mount one of those Leupold variables. Had one on a No. 1 in .416 Rigby, which I mostly just shot with cast bullets. It performed flawlessly.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the Leupold up to taking full house .450-400 rounds? My experience with scoped rifles has been limited to .308 levels, beside the time I got smacked in between the eyes from a the recoil of a 7mm STW. I fully blame this new adventure on my discovery of The writings of Elmer Keith, Capstick, Bell and Taylor.

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
I've broken 2 high end popular brand scopes firing 500gr bullets at 1800 fps+ MV from my No.1 .45-70. Frowner

Regarding simple and cheap, I found a NIB but long since discontinued '70s vintage Bushnell 1.5x4 scope (made in Japan Smiler) for a paltry $50. Here it is on my No.1 .45-70. Generous eye relief mounted as shown. This scope hasn't broken -

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the pictures.

Will the the leupold hold up to the recoil? 20-30 full power loads and more that lower recoil.

Colin

One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
It should.

Scopes work great right up until that shot that makes something inside let go. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a Ruger #1 but in a 450/400 I'm thinking the classic M8 3x Leupold would be the scope.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For about any big bore rifle I will always opt for the classic 3X Leupold, never felt the need or more X's...DG is seldom shot beyond 100 yards and that field of view can come in real handy at times..I use the same scope on my .308 and 250-3000 Savage 99 saddle guns for the obvious reasons and again for mule deer or elk I have never felt the need for more power.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 vote for fixed low power scopes. A 2.5x Leupold is just perfect for short range heavies such as yours. I am a fan and user of fixed scopes. Even the cheap ones don't break.
I have a 2.5x Burris (Now discontinued) for a #1 in 45-70. The low power Leupold's are even better.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The strongest scope out there today for big kicking elephant rifles is the 2.5X Compact Leupold. It repositioned the adjustments for that reason and they have worked on all my old big bore rifles including the 505 IMP. that destroyed a two simi truck loads full of scopes in its day. shocker shocker rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I hear the fixed 3 is still available through Leupold custom shop. Been thinking of checking into one for the same rifle. If not that it will be a 1.5-5 with heavy duplex.
I have a 1.5-5 vx3 that's played musical rifles with a 7x57, 375, 458, and now it's on a 404 Jeffery and never had a problem.
Great power range for big calibers, clear optics, and plenty of eye relief.

Posts: 16 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 22 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had my Leupold Lt. Weight/Compact 2.5 on 458Lott and no problems. Now have on No.3/45-70Gov't. Had Custom Shop put German 3 post reticle in it and for shots out to 100+ yds. or much closer that set up is a good combo. Like looking through a house window, both eyes open, and quick on target. Just a suggestion.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have put Minox ZA 1.2-6 30mm scopes, several with illuminated reticles, on several guns including my No 1 in 450/400. I have never had an issue.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some lovely rifles here.

I have a Leupold 1.5-5x on my 450-400. In the old Warne(?) Brownell style lever rings.

It just clears the custom rear express sight.

I also had a custom safety made in the English style, inletted into the rear tang, so it doesn't catch the ejected cases.

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LRx:
I'm with ISS, 1.75x-6x or 1.5x-5x. Both will allow for adequate eye relief and contrary to what others have posted recently, you won't have to "crawl all over the rifle" to see through the scope, even at 6x.

Shown this pic before, but you asked for photo's (and I'm proud of the rifle)! Subject rifle is a 35 Whelen wearing the VX3 1.75-6.

Lovely rifle!

I like the short forend and the custom rib.

And the timber in the stock!

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Deon
posted Hide Post
I've actually taken the 30mm S&B 1.1-4x24 off of my No.1 450/400 and replaced it with a 25mm Tube Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20. Looks much better in relation to the firearm. The 30mm tube just felt like it was unnecessarily big compared to the rifle with no benefit. That 1.75-6 VX3 also looks good.

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact."

Posts: 131 | Location: Umshwati, South Africa | Registered: 20 April 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of Linscott
posted Hide Post
I wanted to mount a Leupold FX-II Scout IER 2.5x28 on my Stainless 416, and used the E. Arthur Brown mount. It is low and allows the scope to be mounted forward to clear the action completely.

I tried several mounts and this was the best for my use. Eye relief is perfect.

Steve

National Rifle Association Patron Life Member
Texas State Rifle Association Life Member
Republic of Texas