THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Rifles    I Hollis & Sons Martini action rook rifle Cartridge .442

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Hollis & Sons Martini action rook rifle Cartridge .442
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked this gun up inexpensively because the caliber and wood condition. I’ll restock it once I get it shooting. Cartridges of the world doesn’t mention it. Would anyone have cartridge dimensions? I’ll do a chamber cast but have little hope of finding anything. I’ll probably just reline it. It is the same size action as my other two rifles. They are chambered in 360 No 2 and relined to 32-20, respectively. I wonder if 44 special would be possible.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hoyem lists it: Rim .503
Head .449
Case mouth .438
Bullet Diameter .442 (photo looks like a heeled bullet)
Case length 1.02
Overall length 1.54

.442 carbine Bullet weight 220 grains
Black powder 20 grains

Posts: 129 | Location: west MN | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Rglenz. Kind of a short fat thing. I think I’ll reline it. 357 Mag would be worthwhile if the action is strong enough

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I have a little Martini in 442 rook with a near mint barrel. Also have 2 original rounds and determined that 33 Russion or 44 Schofield will almost chamber.

I have a bullet mold and a 'smith to run the reamer in.

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Have found a couple of original rounds one by Kynock and one from Eley. A 44 Special almost fits so I'm thinking of running a reamer in to chamber this. Using a 38/40 FLS I can neck the case down to hold a 200gn heeled bullet.

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote