New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uberti High Wall .38-55
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
NONAGONAGIN, Mark,

This HW is from a casting. I wish I could say its a simple project... but it's not. I've done several and I have a pile of them to do, kind of rainy day things. If you don't have the patience for a project that just seems to linger, don't start one. My very first one was a D.S. Cole - took me about 15 years to complete - it's shooting but not finished yet- like most of them- I've had some ask if I do one for them or sell one - it'll never happen, it's one of things that you become attached to. Did several projects from original actions- mostly single shots and they gave me insight now the fella I got the original casting is having them made again as I mentioned earlier, even with a business that runs me ragged I find time to spend on these.
I added to my work load this last fall, I agreed to teach a smithing class at the local college - couple nights a week - this was the project I requested the student do, 50% agreed to it and in the 16 weeks they mostly finished their actions... I worked on one myself so they could see the steps (outside of class so that added to my burden) Maybe with the new year and all- I may finish this one. If I teach it again, this will be their only option Wink possibly a Hepburn...
Happy New Year!
Greg

Posts: 12 | Location: Northeast Wyoming | Registered: 21 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lol...I understand completely...I have a few I've been mucking about with for many years that just need the stocks finished or sight slots milled/drilled, forend slots milled/drilled, blued/painted/hard-coated, trigger jobs, bench prepped bolts and receivers, threads squared etc., etc,. etc...one that goes back to the early/mid 60's. I shoots so good I DON'T want to touch it and definitely don't want to pull off the stock.

It's good that you are teaching your skills...way too many of those skills/knowledge are going by the wayside or have been lost when the person is lost...I tried to teach a beginning welding class but many of the students were only interested in making weapons...knives, zip guns, nun chucks and other martial arts/Kung Fu crap...I'm NOT a class cop so I didn't last long.

Called Buffalo and I DID get the last Pedersoli DST 40-65 in stock...But the guy said they don't keep a large stock as Pedersoli has LOTTSA
goodies available and is just a call/email and 2-3 days shipping away. I SHOULDA/COULDA have waited and called first...coulda saved 30 bucks buying the "CHEAP" single trigger model...hahahahaha...Yeah "CHEAP OL' BASTID" got skinned again. Nah...I wanted set triggers and that's what I bought.

Pieces and parts will be arriving daily. Looking forward to the throater/necker for my 444 "Magnum" project...little or no interest on the levergun forum on AR...maybe I will post it on Beartooth...LOTTSA levergun enthusiasts there and the 444 M is well liked.

Hurry up Hurrying on that rifle...I want to see what the stock/forend looks like when you get it finished.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah...well, Murphy just really took a GIANT dump on me with this Buffalo Arms thing. First it was available and ordered, then it was "out of stock", then it was TOTALLY unavailable as Uberti/Cimarron isn't going to import the DST in anything but 45-70, 90, 120 and 38-55...and now who the he** knows. Mad

I said screwit and ordered a 40-65 Sharps from Dixie as they ASSURED me it was available and in stock and they would get it out as soon as they could...they are swamped now. I thought about ordering a 38-55 also but I have a 375 JDJ that will suffice for lighter 38-55/375 Win loads...already cranked off a few 250 gr cast in both my 375 H&H and JDJ but I hate wasting components with low velo loads in rifle designed for more potent dealings....I built the JDJ for the lower velos and lighter bullets and case volume isn't too much more than the long 38-55.

I still would like a Hi Wall of some kind and might just order one in some caliber/cartridge I dont have.

All the pieces and parts have shipped and will be in by the 15th...bullets, brass, Lee trimmer...the dies came in yesterday so at least I can futz around with 45-70 cases and make a few 40-65 cases...and dream. Big Grin

Anyway it's almost over but the shouting. Roll Eyes killpc

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So...I just resized 3 R-P 45-70 cases that had been fired 8 times(I felt-marker ALL cases each time I fire them)...Water weight 69 gr...the same as my old 'Load with a Disk' program and ≈4 gr more than QL. I DON'T trust QL for much more than a comparison load because it's proven to be a BIG bit squirrely too MANY times.

This toy is going to give me some of that old deep interest in shooting/reloading...I had back in the day. Cool

265 gr Trueshot bullets arrived, ave 0.847" LOA, 0.400" nose to cann...2.500" COAL/0.447" seat depth...usable case volume just right for AR-comp...≈2200 fs and ≈2900 #ft MAX if I were to believe QL...LD didn't have enough powders listed and the ones it did were too fast. Powley online gave an 86% load but picked IMR 4198...again TOO fast for the lower pressure Sharps recommendation.

On the other hand...if you have LOTS of hair on your azzzzz, ≈33-34 KPSI isn't ALL that much higher...all the arguments aside. shocker AR-Comp is fast enough for me and produces all the pizzazz needed for small T-Rex's, not to mention the odd moose/elk/deer or other tasty edibles or bothersome critters.. Big Grin Roll Eyes coffee

Good Hunting tu2 beer

posted Hide Post
Nonagonagin,
Sounds frustrating! I hate it when I have my heart set on something and they burst all the bubbles! C-Sharps in Big Timber MT builds a high wall that is very nice! Look in to it- one unique thing about these, original winchester parts will fit them - they're that good.
I spent the afternoon finishing cases, casting, lubing and even paper patching a few. Hopefully the weather guessers are wrong and the wind will lay down a little tomorrow and I'll go give my new build a whirl. I'll have to do a little digging to get to the bench and the target, we have snow in some large piles...
Funny thing happened on the way home last night-local gun shop had a good price on a 1886 Win in a 45-70, didn't want the thing to fall into the wrong hands Cool

Hopefully I'll start a new thread and we quit abusing Bee's. rotflmo

Here's some I'm experimenting with in the '86

These are the 44-85 Wesson turned the neck area needing just a little more room...

took a couple tries but finally got the pictures through google...

Posts: 12 | Location: Northeast Wyoming | Registered: 21 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NICE...they LOOK like they will shoot like a house'a'fire...Minute Man Missiles for sure.

What program did you use to post the pics??? s NONE of the ones I've tried will work with dial-up and I can't seem to get the ones I've tried, driving 50 -100 miles, to get WI-FI.

Thought I might go for another cal in the High walls but all those on the auction sites I won't touch..I HATE auctions...good way to get skinned AND screwed at the same time.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shutinlead:
had a good price on a 1886 Win in a 45-70, didn't want the thing to fall into the wrong hands Cool

Hopefully I'll start a new thread and we quit abusing Bee's. rotflmo

Congrats on the '86, Greg!

As to "abusing this thread, to quote Montie Walsh, "You have no idea how little I care!" Cool

Got the Shaver/Soule installed on the '85 last evening and got her about 90% dialed in this afternoon before I had to quit (other responsibilities sure get in the way of my shooting sometimes thumbdown )

You two are having WAY too much fun...and I'm having a blast just watchin' and listenin'!

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah...I'm constantly gun rich and dollar poor. The LAST store going out of town is a GUN STORE and I have to grit what few teeth I have left to keep from stopping in. There is always a gun or two on the used rack I dearly want but don't buy.

I THINK(hope) I scored a 38-55 Uberti Hi Wall..won't know until the last week in Jan when all the paperwork/shipping/dust settles and I get a call from My FFL dealer of it's arrival and I can pick it up...Fingers/toes/eyes/legs and everything else I can cross is crossed. Won't say more, afraid Murphy will hear and screw the deal, the miserable bawstid.

At least the Starline 38-55 2.125" brass, dies and some cast bullets are on the truck and should be here tomorrow. Montana Bullet Works and Beartooth Bullets both have bullets I want to try in the 250-400 gr weights.

This 1885 Hi Wall 38-55 and 1974 Sharps 40-65 ride has been a real rodeo and my body has been damned near destroyed...or maybe just my simple mind. Roll Eyes killpc

Greg...that 44-85 Wesson cartridge looks like it could give a lot of large cased 45 cals a good sweat...that's 458 Lott case volume numbers...definitely makes all but the largest cased 44 and 45 cals look anemic. All the pieces and parts available but not many shooters and not a lot of load data either. Gotta do it the old fashioned way...you EARN it. lol

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
40-65 1874 Sharps got here today. DST, supposed to be a Pedersoli but nothing marked to say so. Dixie's catalog says Pedersoli but also says Uberti on another page. Doesn't matter it's very nice, everything works and isn't dinged up from shipping from where it originated or from Dixie to me....wood isn't anything exceptional, no checkering or other bells or whistles...just simplicity.

Side mount sight bases ordered from Hi-Lux for the already arrived 17" 6x Vintage style scope and bases already here for the High Wall so I can swap around...and a modern 3-9 or 4-12 will grace the opposite.

Some bullets have arrived and I'll pick up some 41 cal jacketed pistol bullets for knocking off the bore bark at one of the shops in town...just to get started.... Big Grin Cool clap

38-55 High Wall due ≈1-25-2019. Should have the 40-65 cleaned, measured and sorted by then...

Moving right along...SLOW AS HELLLLLLLLLO. moon faint old

Good Hunting tu2 beer

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new toy(s)!

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Pedersoli; Uberti doesn't make Sharps for Dixie, that I know of. All I have and have had, from Dixie, are Pedersoli.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote