Find
Notify
Tools

Uberti High Wall .38-55
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted
Honestly, the older I get the easier I find that I'm entertained.

I can be out in the field before sun-up and be amused for a couple of hours as part of the world wakes up and another part goes to sleep. If deer or hogs or turkeys make an appearance, fantastic...but I'm just as happy watching my calves rodeo with one another before nuzzling up to their mothers for a hot breakfast. The same goes for shooting. I've witnessed a number of marketing orchestrations that had the shooting world running headlong for the latest hot ticket...and even fell for a couple of 'em myself!

Nowadays, I'm taking a lot of pleasure in re-discovering what earlier generations shot with...and coming to appreciate those tools for what they are (and aren't). The results have on occasion been amusing, always instructive and, so far anyway, wonderfully satisfying.

Case in point: my latest giggle-fest is a Uberti copy of an 1885 Winchester High Wall chambered in .38-55 Winchester. Originally a John Browning design, it was purchased by Winchester in 1883 and aimed at the fledgling sport of long-range "Match Shooting" begun in Creedmoor, New York around 1872. The new Winchester had some heady competition in those days...going to the firing line against names like Ballard, Maynard and Sharps. The new rifle acquitted itself well enough that Major Ned Roberts sang its praises...Lord, how the Winchester ad men must have swooned at that!

Since I was already a true-believer in the .38-55, all I had to do to get shooting was to prep some brass and load up. This first effort used my everyday "Old Painless" load; a gentle charge of Unique under a 260 grain lead bullet. With targets set up on my range, I snuggled up to the stock and eared the hammer back on the first round. Tri-focals and aperture sights ain't exactly a match made in heaven, but the rig piled five rounds into 1.5 inches from 110 yards. Satisfied that we were off to a wonderful start, I kept the 8" swinger dancing with the next ten rounds...I told you I was easily amused.

I'll start on the longer range swingers after we get Christmas behind us, but for now I'm thinking that I've made another new friend from a time long past.

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nice; maybe I should have shot that thing after all....

Posts: 17089 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Maybe you should have at that, Tom! This was with ZERO load development...just a starting load that I use for my lever actions!

As for me, I'm glad you decided to let it find a new home!

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Lovely! You might also be amused by trying it with a case full (some 40 grs or so) of black and an appropriately soft and SPG lubed bullet. Accurate and a hoot to boot!

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes it is at a better home now with someone who will treat it like it should be treated and not ignored in the corner.
And yes, I always intended to shoot it with black powder but others got in it's way.

Posts: 17089 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
My daughter started out with a .38-55 for black powder cartridge rifle gong shoots. As long as there is not too much crosswind, I would hit a buffalo silhouette at 805 yards with black powder and 270-grain cast bullets. Once you go with black powder, you won't go back to smokeless.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bee, so you're the one who ended up with that beauty. Congratulations to you and to Tom! One of my favorite calibers.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16347 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bill. Yes Sir, I'm the lucky fella!

Just loaded up 30 rounds; if the wind lays tomorrow I may take the opportunity to do some more playing at longer ranges!

The .38-55 doesn't get the credit it deserves; it's a fine old round!

Mark

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Get yourself a set of long-range target sights, work up a BP load with a ~330 gr. bullet, and join in the fun at the TX State BP Silhouette championship match near Mexia at the HOTSA range. 1st weekend of May, starting with a .22 BPCR Match on Friday.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Oh Clarence, you're an evil, evil man.

Like I need one MORE thing to keep me busy!

Is there somewhere I can get more information about this shoot (and the organization itself)?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The website is host.org and has directions to the range and the current calendar. Not a lot of other information there. For that, you might try the shiloh rifle forum, particularly the black powder shooting section.

Chickens 200m offhand, pigs (300m), turkeys (385m), and rams (500m) all prone off cross-sticks. Generally 10 rounds for record at each animal, and 5 sighters for each animal.

They also shoot a similar match with .22's of similar design, at 50, 100, 150, and 200 meters, and that is great fun! You can get more info on that discipline on the 22 BPCR website, 22BPCRA.org.

You might visit one or the monthly matches to meet some of the people and get more details. They are a great bunch of folks!

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That website is hotsa.org. Spell-check fouled that one up for me, and I didn't see it.

Clarence

One of Us
posted Hide Post
YEAH...Spell-chek is my worst enema. Frowner Roll Eyes Big Grin

I have a 50-90 Quigly, a NEF 50-90 and 50-70 SS(told you I was a chee-pazz bastid) and even downloaded, 500-750 gr slugs all bite a bit and full loads...well...(cry).

I keep saying I hate Ya'll for constantly putting iniquitous thoughts in my mind when you show your "pretties"...I ALWAYS start looking. killpc faint

Beautiful shooter, by the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin Big Grin

Good Hunting and Merry All tu2 beer

posted Hide Post
Bee,
I read threads like this and it make me giddy. I caught this bug a couple decades ago and I made myself a promise that I'd limit my actions to one per month... Sometimes I just do my limit, often though it's several, rarely is it none... just how many does a feller need? The 38-55 is really a sweet one, dive in and do the sillywhett game with it, 500 yds
isn't a problem, if you go do mid-range target - BPTR - it'll test you - Oh! another shooting religion to look for!. dancing
Greg

Posts: 12 | Location: Northeast Wyoming | Registered: 21 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Enablers.

I'm surrounded by enablers...

And just so y'all know: I'm already looking at a taller proper Vernier rear sight.

Hmmm, I've got sticks to build.

Thanks a LOT, you bunch of troublemakers! Cool

Mark

DRSS

posted Hide Post
WE are called a support group! I have a real good one local, it's the only addiction I've ever been a associated with that when you fall off the wagon, (buying guns, parts, or standing up and saying you're going to another shoot) everybody cheers and slaps you on the back! Wink

Posts: 12 | Location: Northeast Wyoming | Registered: 21 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MVA (Montana Vintage Arms) is one good choice for a tang sight. Others can be found at Buffalo Arms.

Clarence

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Clarence...I'd already been looking at both of those sites (and had already spoken to MVA about a tang site for a Marlin 336 Cowboy in .38-55).

Any feedback on the Shaver / Soule sights that Buffalo Arms stocks?

Mark

DRSS

posted Hide Post
I have Lee Shaver sights on several rifles, use his economy models - they are not MVA or equivalent but they are a quality sight without the higher level of fit and finish. Until I got in the mode of making sights I'd have gone broke buying sights to outfit all the rifles that come with this addiction.
Greg

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that info, Greg! I was guessing that the Shaver sights would be a quality alternative for entry level...and it sounds like I was close to right!

Mark

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah...not only that but you P-verts had me the scouring the web for the past week LOOKING for 38-55's, new and used. Found several I like...Pedersoli 1874 and Rolling block, Winchester 94, Marlin 336...NO PRICE BREAKS ANYWHERE.

I've been keeping an eye out for a 375 Win, Win or Marlin, but the ones on the auction sites are just too pricey...I HATE this net...hard to find a reasonable bargain anymore.

I let a 94 get away from me about 10 years ago because I was late for the Doctor...when I got back it was GONE...less than one day on the rack and two hours since I first looked at it...and I didn't have sense enough to have Dave put it aside until I returned...I can be real DUMB sometimes.

I don't mind paying $11-1300 for a new gun, but screw paying the going auction price (and watch it climb) for a used one I can't fondle BEFORE shelling out the schekles.

Besides the 38-55 has slightly MORE case volume and a slightly LARGER bullet...doesn't it? Cool AND is a 375 cal!!! Big Grin "I don' nee' no stink'n' 375 Win, Ese." Mad lol

I can see I'm going broke this year buying and building more guns...I don't EVEN need. Frowner

Good Hunting tu2 beer

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Need?

Since when does NEED have anything to with our little enterprise?

I always thought that this was simply a case of "Whoever dies with the most toys, wins"... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Mark

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely correct, But I don't want to die by being crushed by all my toys falling on me. lol

There must be a whole lot of "Happy Christmas" folks out there as Buds inventory has been reduced considerably...just got off the 'net still looking and toooooo many "out of stocks" kept popping up. I'll have to wait a while or just do a barrel instead. I chopped a very accurate 375 H&H from 26" to 22" in a fit of SFB...lost TOO much velo for my taste(still very accurate and plenty of whack with 260 Parts). I have a 375 Ruger and 375 x 62, AKA 375 JDJ but I might just do a little carving on that disrespected 375 barrel and end up with a mixed 38-55/375 Win to play with...rental reamers are CHEAP...cut twice and it's STILL TOO SHORT. Big Grin clap jumping

Something I've been thinking about doing with that barrel but magnum-itis has me by the short and curly's and nothing quite fit...maybe now? Roll Eyes Confused Eeker

Good Hunting tu2 beer

posted Hide Post
Nonagonagin,
Pull out the stops! get a high wall like this and never look back! Following this, you'll find you want one in a 45-70 and 45-90. Then you'll be looking at Shiloh's Sharps, C-Sharps makes some real nice rifles, then there's CPA Rifles, If you are to only have one rifle and want to shoot several religions, Long range, mid range, sillywhett, 22 BPRC, etc. The Shuttleworths at CPA do a remake of the Steven's 44-1/2 and the barrel, breechblock and extractor can change in minutes - they shoot better than most - I have originals but none of theirs... yet. How am I doing? Are you talented enough to build one from a casting? I know a guy that a few years back use to make and sell castings of vintage firearms, he retired recently and started peddling castings again. I've done several of these and they are a fine addition to this addiction... Just let me know if I can instill any more ideas... Wink

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
I am a dwarf amongst giants.

I'd always considered myself a "rifle looney", but it appears that I'm no more than a gifted amateur in the presence of professionals!

Hell, this only makes my THIRD .38-55...and I do confess to having a two .45-70s (one a double rifle)...and I USED to have an 1874 in .45-90...

OK, OK, so maybe not amateur...maybe more like minor league. And I can quit any time I want. But you guys are ADDICTS.

And being crushed by all my toys somehow doesn't seem like such a BAD way to go!

Mark

DRSS

posted Hide Post
Glad you corrected that, if you have more than two of these, you moved to the minors! I'm not even going to stand up here and comment on the number of single shots I have - I honestly can't guess any more. A gun a month has been my quota for a few years! ?? (my son reminds me that it's not a limit so I feel better) I live in the shadow of a few friends that reaffirm that I am still in the minors by comparison...
I agree, being crushed by my toys - beats the thought an old boss of mine once said about being hit by a beer truck on the way home some night.

So what make are the other rifles?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correctamundo again, Bee...ANYWAY involving some kind of shooter and/or someone else's wife....you know the story. Big Grin

Yeah this "thing of ours" is TOTAL ADDICTION...I'm just a rank barely beginner...two 45-70's including one that's rechambered to 45-120 I shoot ALL the various 45-XX's in, one 50-90 1874 Sharps 34" Quigly, one 50-70 and another 22" 50-90 switch barrel NEF...and all the "others".

I do like the 1874 Sharps and would like one in 38-55, 38-56, 40-65 Win or maybe 40-70 Government, no expensive custom dies or reamers for those. I would also like a Rolling Block and I did find both online one day last week but couldn't find them today...the Sharps had some checkering around the grip and on the forend and the rolling blocks had a vernier sight. Thought it was Dixie Gun Works but nothing at all today there...only several Lyman Sharps which were a bit on the small side at ≈7-8# and Buds didn't have any Pederoli's...WAY too cheap for a REAL 5-8 large SHARPS.

I did look at the numbers for doing a 38-55/375 Win on my old Savage 375 barrel but I would have to cut off 3"...basically the same problem I ran into the first time I went through this as this Savage barrel is barely over 1" to begin with. Basically I'm just left with a short 375 H&H although I certainly can down load it to the 38-55 ballistics easy enough and use all the bullets/molds I have on hand.

Maybe a 38-56 might work only need to cut off about 3/4-1"...that would still leave plenty of thread for a thin nut and this isn't a high pressure cartridge by any means unless you want to load to the receiver/cases limits.

1300 fs and ≈1100 #ft of energy with a 300 gr bullet at SAMMI specs is hard to compute in my magnum-itis brain tho'. killpc faint but going with the imports 29 KPSI limits it doesn't do too bad...same case as the 45-70...or ??????

Anyway...I'll keep looking. Things will settle down and supplies will increase come February/March...maybe

Winter always brings out the "wild" cat strangeness, "what if delusions" in me. Whistling 2020 lol

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh, found them at Dixie, just didn't get to the right place...the search box wasn't doing it's job. dancing

#CR0344 Pedersoli Rolling Block, 40-65, #10.25, 30" octagon tapered bbl, vernier tang sight, checkered wrist...Didn't really want to do any more cutting on the 375 H&H barrel, besides I can go with Trail Boss powder and get the same ballistics as the smaller case. Any way I wanted/will do a 375 RUM to get back the original H&H ballistics back. 21" barrel instead of the 22" I said earlier...even worse.

It's NOT the caliber or cartridge that's the kicker anyway...it's the RIFLE that's the kool part...we all(well many of us do) love those Sharps and Rolling blocks...they just LOOK like they're ready to do business and kick azz. Big Grin shocker Big Grin

Good Hunting tu2 beer

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Congrats Nonagonagin...I checked it out and she's a handsome filly.

I try not to spend any time on the Dixie site as I wind up thinking up justifications for a Gatling gun...or a cannon (which is at least a single shot and thus appropriate for this forum!).

Shutinlead, hell...I can't even count correctly anymore: there's three .45-70s. The SIACE double, a Marlin 1895 Cowboy and a Ruger No. 1 (the poor fella's Farquharson). The .38-55s are this current High Wall and a brace of Marlin 336 Cowboys.

Mark

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it is...it's got almost all the goodies except set triggers...but from what I've read so far that's easily fixed with a piece of spring wire.

I just looked at Taylor& Co and they have a 34" Chiappa Quigly "down under" in 45-120 that would be a nice twin to my 50-90 Quigly which is a Chiappa also...but mine was a bit CHEAPER many years ago at ≈1500.00...AND Chiappa has 38-55 Quigly also on 4 month special order...that might not be so bad as the snow will be gone mostly by then although I could shoot out the back(or front door for that matter)and stay nice and toasty.

I just have to quit waffling and get the bull moving.

I'll contact Dixie, Taylor and Chiappa to see what's what...then decide...can't do much until after the 1st anyway, ain' nobody home, or rather ain' nobody at work, they're all home having fun. Big Grin Cool

Besides I've got several projects needing to be finished before I start on another gun toy. Roll Eyes

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the by, Mark...got a few questions for you and your fine toy. clap Big Grin

Where did you find/make/acquire the 260 gr bullets...or other weights...? Accurate Molds has some nice ones...I have several from him that work well.

Did you slug the bore to find the bore/groove or where did you get the sizes from...(or bothered to do one)?

Did you stick to known loads or did you already have the data from experience...?

Any other interesting/pertinent info hidden away but now reveling...?

The 38-55 is one of the few calibers I've shied away from...lots of "problems" with bore/grooves in the 375 Win leverguns and also the 38-55 in the past...maybe "fixed" now or ???? I came across several B/G variations online from the past 10 years or so. I think Murphy is messing with me as I missed a Win 94 375 Win some time back...and have wanted to do a switch barrel on an NEF. It's on the list but a ways down and I just haven't gotten found the round toit to do it. Roll Eyes

Chime in anyone...ANY info would be greatly appreciated. wave Big Grin

Good Hunting tu2 beer

posted Hide Post
The 38-55 does present a few challenges but don't let that stop you - it gives a feller excuses for more and more. There's two common case lengths and at least two common (or normal) diameters. I have a couple of Accurate's molds, RCBS, Lyman, Baco's "Money Bullet", some old NEI's and a couple from the Barry Darr's time at Saeco. This just begins to hint at what I have that shoots a .375/.378 Started with a rolling block action, and my latest is in a high wall (a modified version of a 38-72 Win using 93.x74R as the parent case) a few leverguns in the mix too. My latest passion is a Westley Richards '97 in a 38-56 that's coming together from a casting.
I've loaded several 38-55's with 2F black, 1.5 Swiss, but when I'm lazy, I'll load with AA 5744 - don't remember right off the top how many grains, 15 grains? with a 250 grain flat nose? it's comfortable to shoot and quite accurate to 300 yds. - max or upper level loading in this powder never gives me accuracy...

AND what do you mean finish projects before you start another!!!? I bet at any time I have 15 or more going, especially gun projects. The ideas evolve and seem to get better switching from one to another...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea...coming late this SS type of shooting puts me in the also-ran category.

I'm NOT counting reloading, machine work I can't get to because my garage/workshop is unheated and it getting into single digits now...I'm only talking projects I have pieces and parts ordered/coming in the few days/weeks that will come together a day or so after receipt.

So far I've located bullets from several sources and reloading dies/LEE FCD'S for both 375 Win and 38-55, brass, ETC.

I also located a 375 T/C Encore 26" custom barrel at 1/3 the price of the others...so "that ol' cheap bastid" is crawling all over me...gotta make a decision before 31st midnight to get the Holiday sale price that gives me the scope mount and two additional mount holes free compared to the "regular price. There is a 28" version that STARTS at $400, no extras.

Doing ANY one of these would make 375 cal #4 and whether I "need" another or not I can only shoot ONE AT A TIME...besides I'm so far behind shooting my other menagerie I haven't shot many in over two years...THAT SUCKS...they just in the racks and behind doors and over lintels glaring at me and mumbling under their breathes but loud enough to hear. I know they're flipping me off when I walk out the room. shocker Big Grin

I got two rounds from my 458 MAGSMLE chrono'ed today before my un-gloved hand started screaming at me from being cold...that was what, about 5 minutes worth...what a wuss.

At least my Redding custom shell holders came in today so I can continue with my 6.5 x 300 WBY load work-up, my loading room is heated, but the one minute walk out to it and back again can be excruciating. rotflmo

The continuing saga continues... 2020 Roll Eyes...I'm oscillating like a tuning fork at middle C...440 cps...I will either get something ordered by Monday midnight or go spinning off into LA-LA land. lol

Thanks for the info, Shutin'...and Mark...I forgot my manners...Very nice group, keep it up. tu2

Good Hunting tu2 beer

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
One of the few guns/calibers that I can think of that would get me to reach for my wallet

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4225 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YEAH...They all think I'M a skin-flint, but I TAUGHT him A LESSON OR THREE. lol

This holiday waiting around is KILLING me. Tried to order the Cimarron DST 40-65 Hi-Wall from Buffalo Arms online today but the send to address wouldn't stay in...kept defaulting to my home address or the FL holders address not BOTH individually. Will try again tomorrow.

Decided against the rolling block as it's the weaker receiver...might want to let it all hang out and load up some T-Rex ticklers...just in case one of his cousins comes calling bent on revenging his kin. BOOM

The good things are: I got the dies, brass, various bullets and 20 rounds loaded ammo ordered, so by the time the shooter gets here I will be ABLE to shoot it or at least poke a few down range. With similar sights as my Sharps and my eyes that's about all I can do. I think I will install one of these 18" 6X brass scopes on it, just for happy's.

Might be able to chrono a few more loads tomorrow...if my luck holds. Roll Eyes

Good Hunting tu2 beer

posted Hide Post
nonagonagin,
That is a fantastic move! I'm sure there'll be NO regrets! Let us know how it does.
Greg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah...I will post some pics of BOTH my "Long Toms" as soon as I find a way...tried 3 free programs and none of them worked...I'll try Photobucket again. Frowner

Hummmmm...Wednesday is a million years away...the way my lucks been running I'll wake up croaked...and the frogs will be laughing. lol

Didn't mean to hijack Marks thread...hope my groups are as good as his...it gives me something to "shoot" for/at/whatever.

Hope your New Year finds you well by next year.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

posted Hide Post
Good luck with it all, that is one of the reasons I've been a lurker here 3? maybe 5 years? never posted. Won't photoplunket. Let me know what works for you and maybe??? I'll start a post, share a project and welcome hijacking. I'm sorry Mark for hijacking your thread- it's you're fault... you posted something that finally caused me to trip. rotflmo
Greg

Mark,
If this works, here is a trial run for me - with the help of my IT guy (son) my current project I have going. It's a high wall I'm building in a 44-85 Wesson. dancing

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Greg, if it was ME that got you onto the forum...well, I did a good thing and didn't even realize it!

From a photo standpoint, I've been having good luck with Imgur.

I'll just be waiting to see "work in progress" pics from both of you!

Have a great 2019!

Mark

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OOOHHH, NICE LOOKING PROJECT, Mark...Is it a kit and if so where did you find it???

It looks long term...not sure if I have the patience to do something like that now, my attention span isn't what it used to be... Frowner...I still build rifles and do other metal/lathe/mill work but if it takes more than a week or so it usually gets put behind whatever happens to grab me in the interim...Senior dementia I think or Al's Hymer jumping on. Mad

DEFINITELY...keep us updated with pics and stories.

I think I might have gotten the LAST 40-65 DST 1885 from Buffalo Arms...I checked on it today and they were "out of stock"...either that or I gotta go looking again. The order went through but won't actually know until Wednesday when they grab the geetus. Ordered a Malcolm Hi-Lux 18" scope also...NOT the brass tubed one, but the steel tubed one and the 1885 Mounts. I can get the Sharps scope mounts and kill two birds with one shot. Big Grin All the pieces and parts will be here way before the rifle arrives. killpc coffee

Hit 0° last night...not bad...MUCH worse than many other places but MUCH better than the -24° of last year at this time. Need to start putting heaters on the engines...and the days are starting to get longer again. clap

Good Hunting tu2 beer