New
Find
Notify
Tools

Haenel Jaeger model 9
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've had this little rifle for over a year, but only got it out for a bit of hunting this past fall. It's a sleek, lightweight little number that brings to mind the K95 I had the pleasure to play with last year, but it came in at a much lower price. I have a couple of QD scope mounts for it that seem to be every bit as perfect in their return-to-zero as the Blaser mounts on my R93's...high praise, indeed.

Weight is a hair over 5.5 pounds naked; chambering is 7x65R. It fits me perfectly, and accuracy is exceptional. This is enhanced by the single-set trigger, which is very light and crisp even when fired un-set. If I had to voice a complaint, it would be the style of the QD mounts; they work, but are very bulky and look quite out of place on this slender wand. The top of the breech area is flat, and I have often toyed with the notion of having a smith d&t it and attach a length of pic or Weaver rail. I think this would streamline the gun even more.

I like takedown guns; I like 'em even better when they shoot beautifully, look graceful and (most importantly) when I can afford them! Smiler

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Them and the Merkels are the same gun. The Merkels are a little more deluxe, but I don't see any financial advantage over buying a Merkel.

Nice rifle.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is indeed a cool little single shot. I have looked for an alternative to the TCR 83 I sold to a forum member a while back. This looks like it might be comparable. It needs a double set trigger and a good supply of barrels but it looks like it might work.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice. I keep looking for a lightweight single shot like that and this might be the one. A TCR 87 is what I have been looking at to avoid the double triggers.

Really like the slender lines of that rifle.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
What's the price range for those? I see that there is no US importer.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the more I use it, the more I like it.

I should mention that when I got it, I asked out of idle curiosity if interchangeable barrels were going to be available. The answer at the time was "We don't think so..." followed by a caveat that if barrels were brought out, they would probably require factory-fitting, no Blaser-style drop-ins. I wasn't concerned, but if you are looking for a switch-barrel you might be disappointed.

The single-set trigger is very nice when used conventionally, and perfect when set. I'm not certain that a double-set trigger would be possible in this triggerguard; especially up here, north of Winterpeg, two separate trigger blades plus a gloved finger would be a dangerously tight fit.

I've shown a couple of trophy pics that featured this gun to some friends at work. Normally, I am accustomed to something along the lines of "What kind of goofy gun are you using now?" This time it was "Hey! That's a cool little gun!"

These guys aren't just bolt rifle trash; they are trashy bolt rifle trash, so this was unexpected! Smiler

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, I just checked to see the current damage on these...and was disappointed to see that the importer up here doesn't list them anymore. The next time I am in their shop I'll ask what happened.

The gun was about $1800 Canadian a couple of years ago. QD scope mounts were about $400.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would love to have something like that...not too common here in the US. I'd take one in 6.5X57R.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwm:
Frank, I just checked to see the current damage on these...and was disappointed to see that the importer up here doesn't list them anymore. The next time I am in their shop I'll ask what happened.

The gun was about $1800 Canadian a couple of years ago. QD scope mounts were about $400.

Thanks, I need a 7x57 and that would make a nice one.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
They are heavily related to the Merkel Kr1.

Since Merkel and Haenel are owned by the same company this makes sense.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Beautiful fly rod of a rifle!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote