Two of a kind!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

top: 375 H&H

Bottom: 300 H&H

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice

Is the 300 h&h a boddington series gun.

I have one.

I put a crappy Ziess terra scope on it. Wil switch it out but plan to hunt with it this fall.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No the 300 is not a Boddington gun.

But funny you should mention the Ziess Terra.

Both rifles came with scopes mounted and zero'd.

The scope on the 375 is a Zeiss Terra. IIRC it is the 3-12 x 42 with the ZR8 reticle. I've re-zerod' at 100 and the first subtension corresponds with the 200 yd. bull using the 250 Gr. Barnes TTSX hand-loads the previous owner sent me. Seems to work just fine!
ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
No the 300 is not a Boddington gun.

But funny you should mention the Ziess Terra.

Both rifles came with scopes mounted and zero'd.

The scope on the 375 is a Zeiss Terra. IIRC it is the 3-12 x 42 with the ZR8 reticle. I've re-zerod' at 100 and the first subtension corresponds with the 200 yd. bull using the 250 Gr. Barnes TTSX hand-loads the previous owner sent me. Seems to work just fine!
ya!

GWB

I had a conquest lying around. The terra should work for everything but low light. The gun is accurate according to my gunsmith.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifles there GWB. You bloodied both of them. Good shooting!

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
Quintessential African pairing, the .300 & .375 H&H's. My pair have a more North American mindset. .275 Rigby (foreground) with a VX-3i 2.5-8 and a .35 Whelen topped by a VX-3i 1.75-6. Although, I am thinking about finding a gunsmith with a .350 Rigby Reamer. I'll have to see how the Whelen shoots. I Purchased it just last week.

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually save this comment for da' ladies,

but perhaps I can be forgiven for making the observation that

"That is a might fine pair!"

ya!

GWB

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dSmith.45:
I am thinking about finding a gunsmith with a .350 Rigby Reamer. I'll have to see how the Whelen shoots.

400/350 or 350 Magnum?

If your Whelen shoots, you're going to love it.

Funny thing about composing pairs of rifles, I do it quite a lot rather unconsciously.
Probably due to being a British single shot nut as most actions were offered in two or more sizes, you just want to search out examples of each. Sure wish Ruger had made a smaller No.1.
Had a pair of Frasers - one 360 and one 303.
Have my big (really big) '02 Webley and my little rook '02 and there is an intermediate (normal) size they made.
Have rifles on Alex Henry's patent in at least four sizes.
Can't forget Martinis - could make a very nice pair of those.

But this is my favorite pair of rifles:
George Gibbs Farquharsons in 461 No.2 and 303 British.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
quote:
I am thinking about finding a gunsmith with a .350 Rigby Reamer. I'll have to see how the Whelen shoots.

400/350 or 350 Magnum?

If your Whelen shoots, you're going to love it.

.350 Magnum. Keep it rimless unless the 400/350 brass & ammo are easier to find. I would have to research that. Fine pair of Farquharsons there

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:

.350 Magnum. Keep it rimless unless the 400/350 brass & ammo are easier to find. I would have to research that. Fine pair of Farquharsons there

The 400/350 brass is for sure easier to find and can even be made from 9.3X74R iirc.
The magnum can be loaded hotter which is nice in a Ruger No.1 though but I’m not even sure if there is any other brass it can be made from.
I was fortunate to find magnum brass and dies when I had my Rigby but then sold them off after I foolishly sold the rifle...

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. All I can say is wow! Eeker

You three guys have good taste in single shot rifles and calibers. tu2

Kudos to all three of you. dancing

What a great thread.

I hope we can see more pictures from other contributors.

I cannot contribute pictures, but I have and am fond of my Ruger No.1s in 275 Rigby & 35 Whelen, but my favorites are my rimmed cartridges for my four rifle battery in 450NE, 450-400, 9.3x74R & 303 British.

Too bad Ruger has discontinued these fine rifles. But, they can still be bought, if you can find the caliber you want...

Thanks guys for the great pics!

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote