Ruger #1 250 Savage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
While I'm glad that Ruger is producing these calibers and variations, the significant increase in their retail price in the last couple of years, along with the use of very plain wood, deters me from buying one. I'm a fan and user of No. 1 rifles and have a number of them. For the retail price of over $1,900, they should have decent wood on them. I'd have to see pictures of the actual rifle before buying one, and it would have to be a nice one. Otherwise, it makes more sense to buy used and rebarrel to something interesting. It wouldn't be more expensive given that used examples with pretty good stocks can be found for about $1,000. The Ruger barrel hardware can be purchased if needed. It's more of a hassle but the point of these rifles is to offer the shooter something classical and compelling.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the #1, always have and still have one left in the toy box. However, if I'm going to spend that much money I can think of a half dozen other single shots I'd rather have. That isn't a reflection on the #1 but rather on my tastes.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do miss the days when Ruger No 1s had beautiful wood. I had a 7mm RM with nice wood and regret selling it. My .204 Ruger has fantastic wood and I won't be selling it.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I brought my first no.1 in 78 nice wood 175.00 I killed a lot of game with.

It was my main and only big game rifle for years now I have a lot more it hardly sees daylight any more.

I started hunting with a 99 in 250-3000 now days I hardly hunt with any thing under 30 caliber. Except varmints

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I miss the better wood and I don't like the Alex Henry forearm.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote